Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is Orbi dynamic QoS able to prioritize VoIP packets? (ORBI RBK852)

Fra11
Guide

Is Orbi dynamic QoS able to prioritize VoIP packets? (ORBI RBK852)

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if it is possible to connect an ATA VoIP or a VoIP phone like Gigaset C530A to the Orbi (RKB852 - Router Mode) in order to be able to use VoIP. In addition I would like to know if there is the possibility to priorize the VoIP system in order to have the best quality as possibile during phone calls. Furthermore, does Orbi dynamic QoS recognize and prioritize VoIP packets itself?

Thank you

Sorry for my English but I'm Italian.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

I upload GB files on fridays for work and not noticed any issues with having two VPNs running, Teams video calls and the uloads all going at the same time. So I Think the connection and RBR does well to handle all the traffic. 

Something you can try out and see if it works for you. I beleive you'll be fine. 

I'm on DOCSIS 3.1

@Fra11 wrote:

Hi and thank you for replying. I appreciate your support.

Actually I get 950mbit/s in download and 170mbit/s in upload. I should get 200mbit/s in upload but the ISP router reserves almost 20mbit/s for VoIP. The ISP router prioritizes the voice VLAN and VoIP packets. 

I think I have enough bandwidth but I'm afraid that uploading files during phone calls would reduce their quality.

I really want to get rid of the ISP router and using the Orbi as router would be the best solution for me (since it won't make me buy another router).

Let’s see if anyone knows more. An IT expert told me that the Orbi could do a great job recognizing and prioritizing VoIP or that it couldn't. He simply didn't know how Orbi works with QoS. 

P.S do you have a fiber or a DOCSIS connection? 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

It should connect. You might try it first and see how it goes. Orbi systems have automatic QoS so theres nothing to configure manually. 

Message 2 of 9
Fra11
Guide

Hi and thank you for your replying. I'm looking for a confirm because I don't want to buy the gigaset and having issues while calling and uploading files. I really don't know what Orbi priorites with its QoS.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume it should however I can't confirm as I don't have that kind of device. I do have a ATT micro cell and works fine with out 3 phones connected to it. 

Whats your ISP speed UP and Down? Voice communications may not need much priority as voice doesn't take up that much band width. Would only be a consideration if your ISPs speeds UP and down are fairly low. I'm on a 1Gb/50Mbps plan here. 2 VPNs all day during work days, no problems here. 

Message 4 of 9
Fra11
Guide

Actually I get 950mbit/s in download and 170mbit/s in upload. I should get 200mbit/s in upload but the ISP router reserves almost 20mbit/s for VoIP. The ISP router prioritizes the voice VLAN and VoIP packets. 

I think I have enough bandwidth but I'm afraid that uploading files during phone calls would reduce their quality.

I really want to get rid of the ISP router and using the Orbi as router would be the best solution for me (since it won't make me buy another router).

Let’s see if anyone knows more. An IT expert told me that the Orbi could do a great job recognizing and prioritizing VoIP or that it couldn't. He simply didn't know how Orbi works with QoS. 

Message 5 of 9
energie
Luminary

Orbi does not mention anything in reqards of QoS. There is also no settings to change this. This means all traffic is equal. So the answer to your question is no.

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I upload GB files on fridays for work and not noticed any issues with having two VPNs running, Teams video calls and the uloads all going at the same time. So I Think the connection and RBR does well to handle all the traffic. 

Something you can try out and see if it works for you. I beleive you'll be fine. 

I'm on DOCSIS 3.1

@Fra11 wrote:

Message 7 of 9
Fra11
Guide

Thank you very much for your support

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes if you get one going. 

Good Luck

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7