Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issues connecting RBR50 as a satellite

Seif
Aspirant

Issues connecting RBR50 as a satellite

Hi,

I have an RBK853 and an RBK53. I setup the RBR850 as the main router, 2 RBS850s as AX satellites, 2 RBS50 as AC satellites, and I also connected the RBR50 as a satellite.

The RBR50 shows up on the Orbi app as a 5th satellite, and shows as successfully connected.

Each satellite is in a separate room, connected to the RBR850 router with wire ethernet cable.

1) I cannot turn off/hide the RBR50's SSID broadcast.

2) When I am in the room of the RBR50, the iPhone/iPad connect to the other units, unless I choose the RBR50's wifi, not the RBR850's. 

It looks like the RBR50 is showing up as a satellite in the RBR850's network, but it is not actually behaving as a satellite.

Target:
1) Disable the RBR50's own wifi SSID.

2) Be able to connect to the RBR850 main network, through the RBR50 as a satellite.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

CFBFE53C-D3B8-4EFD-A98D-63EC4820E0D3.png

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Issues connecting RBR50 as a satellite

@Seif wrote:

Target:
1) Disable the RBR50's own wifi SSID. Not supported on Orbi systems. 

2) Be able to connect to the RBR850 main network, through the RBR50 as a satellite. Not supported on Orbi systems. 50 series Orbi is NOT compatible with Orbi AX systems. You can either connect RBS50 series to Orbi AX system is all

Message 2 of 12
Seif
Aspirant

But the RBS50s are working perfectly with the RBR850, same wifi name, no problems at all.

My issue is specifically with the RBR50.

So it's an RBR issue, not a 50 vs 850 issue.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBR50 can't work as a RBS, only in router or AP mode and would be a separate SSID wifi network if you connected it to the Orbi AX system in AP Mode. 

Is the RBS50 wireless or wire connected to the Orbi AX system? 

Message 4 of 12
Seif
Aspirant

The RBS50 is wired to the AX router
Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Can run as a 2ndary router or in AP mode is all you can do for the RBR50. 

Message 6 of 12
Seif
Aspirant

If I run the RBR50 in AP mode, and set it’s SSID to be the same as the 850s should this make dissolve and act as if it’s a satellite?

Thank you,
Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

No. Just be sure the channels are far appart on the RBR 50 and 850 on both frequencies. 

Message 8 of 12
Seif
Aspirant

Thank you so much.
I truly appreciate your support.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

No. Just be sure the channels are far appart on the RBR 50 and 850 on both frequencies. 

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 12
Seif
Aspirant

So after 2-3 days of trials and errors, the best solution I found is to set the SSID and password of the new RBK850 set exactly the same as the old RBK53.

This was the only way to get the system act as close as possible to as if I had one RBR850 and 5x RBS850s.

I know it's not the same, but it is a very similar user experience so far. I move from one room to the other, I see the wifi signal getting weaker, and then suddenly it goes full bars, when it connects to the unit of the room I just moved to.

I hope this solution keeps working fine...

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes that can be done and is recommended when putting a new system online. Use the same SSID name and PW as prior system. I usually leave the prior system ON however just not conencted to the ISP services. Once the new system is online and ready, unplug the old system and devices should pick up and auto migrate to the new system. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7