Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issues with RBS850 Satellite on a RBR850/RBS850 System

chdaniel
Aspirant

Issues with RBS850 Satellite on a RBR850/RBS850 System

Hello Netgear Support Community:

I would like to ask for advice and suggestions regarding problems I have been experiencing with the connection between a RBR850 Router and a RBS850 Satellite.

I have a set of a RBR850 Router with a RBS850 Satellite. They are connected via Ethernet Cat6A cable, as shown in Figure 1.

Figure 1: Network DiagramFigure 1: Network Diagram

They both are running the latest firmware (V4.6.3.16_2.0.51). But there is a problem: sometimes the connection with the Satellite will drop, and the Satellite will stop working properly.

Normally, the system will detect that both devices are connected via Wired connection, and the connection is ok (with the status as "Your WiFi Orbi Satellite is up and running" message), as shown in Figures 2 and 3.

Figure 2: Connection frtom Router to SatelliteFigure 2: Connection frtom Router to Satellite

Figure 3: Normal Satellite BehaviourFigure 3: Normal Satellite Behaviour

But every now and then (every couple of days or so), the connection with the Satellite seems to drop and the Satellite won't work. When this happens, the system detects that both devices are connected via Wireless connection, and the connection is failing (with the status as "Move your Orbi Satellite closer to your Orbi Network to improve connection" message), as shown in Figure 4.

Figure 4: Satellite Error messageFigure 4: Satellite Error message

- I have observed that the way to temporarily fix this is to do a Reboot of the system (Router + Satellite). I have done several reboots and even a Factory Reset, but the issue persists.
- When I do the reboot, I typically get like 1 day of correct connection, until the problem happens again.

With all these things, I would like to ask for help regarding how to solve this issue:

- Is there a way to ensure that the connection between devices will always be up and running? How can I get rid of this Satellite Connection issue? Is this a bug/caveat of the firmware version?

- Why does the Satellite Status page seem to show that the connection between the Router and Satellite is always as Wireless (as seen in Figures 3 and 4) regardless of the fact that both devices are always wired? Is there a way to know from the Satellite Status page that both devices have a wired connection?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide to me. If you want more info about this, or have any questions, just let me know.

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Issues with RBS850 Satellite on a RBR850/RBS850 System

@chdaniel wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

- I have observed that the way to temporarily fix this is to do a Reboot of the system (Router + Satellite). I have done several reboots and even a Factory Reset, but the issue persists.
- When I do the reboot, I typically get like 1 day of correct connection, until the problem happens again.

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update? A complete pull of the power adapters.

With all these things, I would like to ask for help regarding how to solve this issue:

- Is there a way to ensure that the connection between devices will always be up and running? How can I get rid of this Satellite Connection issue? Is this a bug/caveat of the firmware version?

What happens if you swap RBS location around with each other? Does the problem follow the RBS or remain at the one location? 

- Why does the Satellite Status page seem to show that the connection between the Router and Satellite is always as Wireless (as seen in Figures 3 and 4) regardless of the fact that both devices are always wired? Is there a way to know from the Satellite Status page that both devices have a wired connection?

Are the RBS directly ethernet conencted to the back of the RBR or is there a LAN switch in between? 

Message 2 of 3
chdaniel
Aspirant

Re: Issues with RBS850 Satellite on a RBR850/RBS850 System

Hi. Thanks for answering my post. The requested info is:

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Answer: The ISP ONT/Modem manufacturer is Huawei, the model is EG8145V5.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

Answer: 1600 sqf. But I must mention that I am not located in USA. I am located in Ecuador (LatinAmerica). Here, houses are built quite different. All inner walls are made of bricks and concrete. WiFi signal degrades easily from one room to the other. My house area in sqf is not comparable to a house with similar area build in North America when analyzing WiFi propagation.

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Answer: 38 feet. But it shouldn't matter. I don't want my router and my satellite to be wirelessly connected. My satellite is connected to the router by using a Cat6A UTP cable. A wired connection is always far better that any wireless connection. If I would have the choice, I would turn off the wireless backhaul, so I force the satellite and the router to use the wired connection. I want them to work using the UTP cable.

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update? A complete pull of the power adapters.

Answer: Yes. Several times.

What happens if you swap RBS location around with each other? Does the problem follow the RBS or remain at the one location? 

Answer: I haven't tested this scenario, and honestly I won't. I worked very hard to ensure the best places where the router and the satellite will be installed (power connections, ethernet connections, secure and optimal locations, away from any other electronic devices and electromagnetic interferences, location where the strongest WiFi signal is needed, etc.). The places where they are installed now are the places where they are supposed to be.

Are the RBS directly ethernet conencted to the back of the RBR or is there a LAN switch in between? 

Answer: They both are directly ethernet connected. No other LAN devices in between.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7