Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Look for something better than Linksys Velop WHW03

Look for something better than Linksys Velop WHW03

Hi guys 

ive currently got a velop WHW03 3 node mesh system. On a whole it's not to bad. It gives me full wifi in my hole house but it's the speed I'm not happy with. 
I'm currently with Virgin UK 1gb package. I'm only getting around 250mbps on all three nodes, that's on a good day. Spent over 2 hours to Linksys technical going through firmware updates and tweaking settings with no increase in speed. They basically left it as that's the best you'll get.
even though 250mbps is great I feel I should be getting more on the package I'm on.

I've been looking at changing to a net gear orbi system WiFi 6. 
just after some advise would the orbi help with speeds and which orbi to go for. House is a 4 bed around 180sq m, we do have a few big steel lintels down stair that don't help with WiFi. 

got around 30 devices that would be connected, Xbox that I would like to be connected by Ethernet from one of the satellites down stairs, satellite would have to connect wirelessly to the master satellite. Virgin router is upstairs 

looking for advise cheers guys 

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Look for something better than Linksys Velop WHW03

Even if you upgraded to a wifi 6 mesh network, while it would be a faster systems, usually the limiting device is what you're testing on. Not the mesh system itself. 

The WHW03 was a fairly high ranked AC system. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/wifi-system/view

So it might not have been the mesh holding you back but your device itself. 

What are you testing on? 

Why do you want speeds >250mbps over wireless? Most wireless usage isn't getting close to needing those speeds. For example, 4k streaming only needs 25-40mbps. 

Message 2 of 5

I'm mainly using apple devices to test speeds. 

if I connect direct to virgins WiFi I can get 400-500 mbps on my iPhone but only 200 tops through the velop, both in the same room. Just the virgin hub 4 doesn't reach down stairs that well 

Message 3 of 5
ChrissieD
Aspirant

Just to say that I am far from technical and most posts here go over my head but I’m on virgin media 1gb and had the same Velop system as you. It never provided what was stated one the tin in terms of speed. This resulted in lots of issues when working from home and trying to participate in video conferencing via ms teams. Bit the bullet and spent money on the Orbi AX6000 and I’m seeing a major improvement. I now get great speeds, fantastic coverage all over the house and can work without fear of dropouts. The Orbi was a great choice fir me but each to their own. I’ve not experienced any problems with the Hub4 in modem mode so am
Very happy!
Message 4 of 5

I went for the RBK753 and I'm amazed, speeds are hitting between 500-700 on WiFi around the whole house with no drop outs. Great bit of kit easy to setup. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7