Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nest Thermostat Batteries LOW on a new ORBI AX setup

iNexxFear
Apprentice

Nest Thermostat Batteries LOW on a new ORBI AX setup

I have a brand new ORBI AX wifi setup (RBR850 and 2 satellites) that i got configured and updated to the latest firmware (V3.2.15.25) about 10:00 last night with all nodes up to the version with a bit of challenges.

This morning at 7:00 AM my 2 nest thermostat batteries are drained and in low power mode (below 3.6v).  I have rebooted them but wondering if anyone has a solution.  I am in contacgs with NG but no news yet.

The downstars thermostat is direclty below the router and about 30 feed from one satellite and 20 form the other on the same floor.

The upstairs thermostat is close to the downstaris one about 7 feet almost direcly above one satellite and about 30 feet from the main router

This never happened with my single router setup, and wondering what is occuring....  I did reboot both nest thermostats but they are in the process of recharging to be back online.  If conintued issues this orbi system will need to go back in a box and returned as I can't have this occuring.  thankfully for summer weather I don't need heat but this should have never occured.

All was working just fine last night between 7:00 PM and 10:00 PM when I was setting it up I could see these in the device list on the orbi web console and applicaiton

Pleae advise

Message 1 of 265

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nest Thermostat Batteries LOW on a new ORBI AX setup

No. 

Only thing I found was that with mine, being so close to the RBR, 5 feet, was having problems with the NEST. I found that when I moved the RBR away from the one NEST controller, 20-25 feet, the NEST controller started working with out draining the battery. Also was said that this is also a NEST controller issue as well that NEST needs to fix it on there side as these controllers ping pong back and forth on there own when there is more than 1 signal source in play, i.e. RBR and 1 or 2 RBS. Its also recommemeded to install the C power wire to your NEST from the main central AC system to help avoid the battery draining. You'll need to consult your systems mfr wiring diagram to find out which connection that is. 

View solution in original post

Message 241 of 265

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Is AX mode enabled?

What are your CTS/RTC values seen under under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

64 is default for v15.25...

Please set these up to 2347...

Message 2 of 265
Mikey94025
Hero

I would follow FURRYe38's recommendation to check and set your CTS/RTS values to 2347.  The firmware defaults cause various wireless compatibility issues.

I have 2 Nest thermostats and haven't had any of the issues you describe.  Were they successfully connect to wifi after you upgraded your router?  It's important to verify the connectivity of your devices and reset/reconnect them if they are not connected.  Not all devices will simply reconnect just because you kept the same SSID and password.  Also, the Nest thermostats are very sensitive to battery power if you only have them connected via trickle charging and don't have a "C" wire providing continuous power.

Message 3 of 265
iNexxFear
Apprentice

Trickle charging is thier setup as they have been for 2 years. They connected and had the right up address, no issues so I thought all was good.

I’m done playing around with a $1000 setup for something I have never had to do with the 3 years I’ve owned the thermostat devices and the various other routers which have never made this occur. I’ll just disconnect them and USB charge them soon if they don’t recoup with the trickle charge since the old setup is back into place
Message 4 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

2347 was the default value historically, however for unknown reasons NG change the CTS values to 64 which seems to cause problems in last few versions of FW. I also noticed this with my two NEST controllers. After chaning them back to 2347, my controllers are working again. Something you should try. 

Message 5 of 265
iNexxFear
Apprentice

As far as I’m concerned when I contacted NG support and they can’t help me anywhere near what I’m getting from some of the folks here. AND if it truly is that setting a technical news letter should have been sent out or included in the last firmware.

For the cost to not get support and have it impact some core technologies in a home setting are truly poor. With my prior technology since factory resetting the Orbi and pulling it out my primary best has come to the level where it’s back on the network with the trickle charge and expect the second one to also appear soon (or I will disconnect it to manually run a charge.

This is poor, service is crazy and while it’s possibly a great product with some stunning speeds if I were to ever return to NG at this point I would think it would have to be with a RAX (night hawk single setup design). However once bitten twice shy.

I used to love linksys when owned by Cisco but when sold to belkin patches and firmware are almost not existent. Apple dissolving thier network series was my second hit and additional liked product. I’m happy with ASUS as firmware and technology is there, just having an issue with a client limitation it seems but nothing that has any ways introduced such explicit impacts like this.

So in all, I’m done tinkering. I’m not a network engineer, while i support technology I can’t endorse this or use it if they don’t advise and get things in a status where it’s kind of easy for end users. A lot was smooth but I’m just glad I didn’t hit this in the middle of winter when heating is essential where I live

So it’s on it’s way back to netgear via the vendor I purchased
Message 6 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck in you endeavours. 

Message 7 of 265
brandobot
Guide

I have the same issue. I recently purchased the RBR850 and RBS852 setup. Shortly after I installed them, my Nest Thermostat battery drained and would turn off wifi on the thermostat to conserve power.

No C wire connected to my thermostat.  Had no issues using a Nighthawk R9000 or Google Nest Routers for over 2 years. I'm having to fire up an old router using 2.4ghz band only to connect my Thermostat so it doesn't die.

Horribly frustrating...

Message 8 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version are you using? 

Is AX mode enabled? 

Check CTS values, if you see 64 set to 2347. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@brandobot wrote:

I have the same issue. I recently purchased the RBR850 and RBS852 setup. Shortly after I installed them, my Nest Thermostat battery drained and would turn off wifi on the thermostat to conserve power.

No C wire connected to my thermostat.  Had no issues using a Nighthawk R9000 or Google Nest Routers for over 2 years. I'm having to fire up an old router using 2.4ghz band only to connect my Thermostat so it doesn't die.

Horribly frustrating...

Message 9 of 265
brandobot
Guide

CTS values are set to 2347. 
AX Mode is enabled.
Firmware version is v3.2.15.25_1.3.15

Message 10 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

Try AX mode disabled. 

I remember will having problems with this version of FW. I went back to v11.2.

Message 11 of 265
Mikey94025
Hero

@brandobot wrote:

Change CTS/RTS in Advanced...Wireless Settings to 2347 at http://orbilogin.com/ .  The firmware default uses lower values, causing wireless compatibility issues.  Your Nest thermostat is struggling to connect/reconnect.  This change works well with my 2 Nest thermostats (and I don't have a C wire either).

Make sure your Nest thermostat successfully connects wireless, then everything should run fine on minimal battery power.

Message 12 of 265
Mikey94025
Hero

@brandobot wrote:

AX Mode is enabled.

Sorry, I missed this reply earlier.  I am running V3.2.15.25 also with CST/RTS set to 2347.  My nest thermostats have been fine for months (original 3rd gen model, not ES).  I did not have to disable AX mode - It would be a shame to resort to that with our AX router!

My security is set to WPA2-PSK [AES] and I have a fixed channel for 2.4Ghz.  I have the defaults of Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence checked and Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings (2.4GHz b/g/n/ax) checked and Automatic premble mode.

Message 13 of 265
Mikey94025
Hero

@Mikey94025 wrote:

I am running V3.2.15.25 also with CST/RTS set to 2347.  My nest thermostats have been fine for months (original 3rd gen model, not ES).  I did not have to disable AX mode - It would be a shame to resort to that with our AX router!

Sorry!  I was mistaken and my two Nest thermostats ARE NOT connected to my Orbi AX because of these wireless compatibility problems.

Of all the devices in my house, I have three that refuse to work with my new Orbi AX wireless but worked with my older Orbi AC system.  They are the Nest thermostats, my new August 4th gen lock.  I've had intermittent problems with my Harmony remote and Sleep Number bed.

I've resorted to running an old router (Asus RT-AC66U) to serve as my Guest network and I've connected these devices to that network.  Fortunately they don't need connectivity to my home network and my other devices, just outside internet access.

Message 14 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if disabling AX mode helps or reverting to v11.2...

@brandobot wrote:

AX Mode is enabled.

Message 15 of 265
P_Joyce
Aspirant

I've got a new RBK753 and have used Nest Thermostats, 3rd generation, for sevearal years with an older Nighthawk and more recently Synology WiFi router. Never any problems. 

The thermostat batteries quiclkly drained on the new RBK753. The thermostats connected on the 5GHz Channel. I have three Nest Protects and one Nest Camera; both of those systems work fine on the RBK753. 

I tried disabling AX and changing CTS/RTS Threshold to 2347. Neither helped, the therostat batteries drained quickly even after several hours of USB charging. 

I've now set the Synology router up as a  2.4 GHz access point, just for the thermostas. It works, but is clunky. The batteries stay charged above 3.8 v, no problem on the 2.4 GHz. 

Firmware is: V3.2.15.25_1.3.15

Message 16 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you noticing that your Thermostats are off line alot and not able to reconnect? 

I have two controllers. 1 is 1st gen and the other is 3rd gen. The 3rd gen is near the RBR and alway see disconnects and never reconnects. 1st gen is fartest away and never disconnects or sees battery driains. it's gong on about 5-6 years old now. 

Lets try updating to v32 and see if anything changes:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-3-2-15-32-Hot-Fix-Firmware-U...

I'll be loading mine up today. 

If not, Please submit a NG support ticket on this please:

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

Please provide any NEST controller SW or FW and rev information. 

@P_Joyce wrote:

I've got a new RBK753 and have used Nest Thermostats, 3rd generation, for sevearal years with an older Nighthawk and more recently Synology WiFi router. Never any problems. 

The thermostat batteries quiclkly drained on the new RBK753. The thermostats connected on the 5GHz Channel. I have three Nest Protects and one Nest Camera; both of those systems work fine on the RBK753. 

I tried disabling AX and changing CTS/RTS Threshold to 2347. Neither helped, the therostat batteries drained quickly even after several hours of USB charging. 

I've now set the Synology router up as a  2.4 GHz access point, just for the thermostas. It works, but is clunky. The batteries stay charged above 3.8 v, no problem on the 2.4 GHz. 

Firmware is: V3.2.15.25_1.3.15

Message 17 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

Any updates on this? 

@brandobot wrote:

AX Mode is enabled.

Message 18 of 265
brandobot
Guide

I've tried disabling AX and it didn't help.

I ended up just spinning up an old router and broadcasting a separate SSID for the Nest thermostat to work... No issues since I've switched it over to my old router.

Message 19 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried the most recent FW version. I'm on v32 since yesterday and my 3rd gen NEST has been keeping connected since. AX mode enabled and using default 64 CTS value. Manual channel 1 and 36. 20/40Mhz enabled. Mines in router mode. I'll be letting this run for a few more days before switching to AP mode to test that out.

@brandobot wrote:

I've tried disabling AX and it didn't help.

I ended up just spinning up an old router and broadcasting a separate SSID for the Nest thermostat to work... No issues since I've switched it over to my old router.

Message 20 of 265
proxy2
Aspirant

I bought RBK753S from Costco a month ago.

Then suddenly my Nest E battery started draining (I also don't have a C wire) after 2 years of perfect operation. I contacted nest, no solutions, so I went ahead and bought a new Nest Pro, assuming the battery had degraded over time.

The new nest is draining in 1 day, so I started going crazy troubleshooting it over and over.

Now I see this thread, and it all makes sense. The ORBI is killing my nest battery 😞

So what can I do?

Firmware Version V3.2.15.25_1.3.15

I changed  CTS/RTS Threshold (1-2347) to  2347

Now what? what do I do?

I spent a lot of money on this router, can someone please suggest a solution 

Smiley Sad

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 21 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

Try FW version v32. Leave CTS values at default after doing a factory reset and setup from scratch. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-3-2-15-32-Hot-Fix-Firmware-U...

Message 22 of 265
proxy2
Aspirant

My Router is RBR750

I found and installed V3.2.15.32 on Router and both satellites.

I set CTS/RTS Threshold for 2.4 and 5ghz to back to 64

Do I really HAVE TO do a factory reset and set everything up from scratch?

Message 23 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

Let try the reset as a last resort. Changing CTS back to 64 should help. Though you see the problem continue I would update to v32 on your system, reset then, then keep CTS at 64. 

I just experienced my 3rd gen NEST disconnected or 3 hours before I noticed it. I had changed CTS from 64 to 2347 yesterday. I feel there is an issue on Orbi AX and 3rd gen NEST controllers if CTS is set to 2347. It had been working well with 64 up until I made the change. I have reverted back to 64 and will check the NEST during the week. I don't see NEST problems with CTS set to 2347 using Orbi AC or other routers that use 2347 as defaut values. So I think there is something going on with Orbi AX FW and NEST controllers. 

Message 24 of 265
proxy2
Aspirant

I will be clear in a few days whether this has fixed it. But so far, I think your suggestion with firmware 32 has helped.

seems like battery power is not draining as fast.

https://p198.p4.n0.cdn.getcloudapp.com/items/kpuboG7R/Image%202020-08-04%20at%209.00.53%20AM.png?v=c... 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 25 of 265
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7