Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nest Thermostat Batteries LOW on a new ORBI AX setup

Mikey94025
Hero

Re: Nest Thermostat Batteries LOW on a new ORBI AX setup

@samnt650 wrote:

Per support ticket I have with Netgear, Firmware v3.2.17.12 supposed to fix the NEST battery drain problem.  Will be loading on Jan 22 evening for testing...

How did it go for you?

I am another of the Orbi AX subset that experienced Nest thermostat low battery problems (and have been connecting to an older router because of it).  I have 2 Nest Gen 3 thermostats and both would not work correctly with my Orbi RBR850 system.

I've been running V3.2.17.12_1.4.14 for a couple days and when I read that this firmware was supposed to fix my Nest issues, yesterday afternoon I reset the network on both thermostats and connected to my Orbi AX.  Unfortunately this morning I found that both thermostats report low battery and disconnected from the network.  Therefore it doesn't appear (for me) that this firmware has resolved the Nest thermostat issue.

I did not do a complete reset after this FW upgrade, and generally never do.  I cannot waste more time trying a full reset so in another hope (guess) that it will makes any difference for this Nest issue, sorry.  I'll wait until another Nest thermostat owner tries that and determines it's successful.

Message 151 of 265
samnt650
Tutor

Please escalate the issue to Netgear support (assume your device warrant/support not expire)  This is the only way keep the issue hot with Netgear.  Somehow my Orbit would not load the new firmware zip file (escalated back to support...)

Message 152 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you unpack the .zip file before trying to manually load the FW? 

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

@samnt650 wrote:

Please escalate the issue to Netgear support (assume your device warrant/support not expire)  This is the only way keep the issue hot with Netgear.  Somehow my Orbit would not load the new firmware zip file (escalated back to support...)

Message 153 of 265
rbernstein
Guide

I updated the firmware to V3.2.17.12_1.4.14 and it is still not working for me.  I have a ticket open with tier 2 support.  I am asking that it be escalated.  

Message 154 of 265
WilliamGr
Guide

I honestly have no idea why most of us here are even bothering. Netgear is unlikely to ever fix this. I'm so glad I returned my set, and if you still have the ability to do so - DO SO!

Message 155 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

I have also made contact about this to NG as well. 

@rbernstein wrote:

I updated the firmware to V3.2.17.12_1.4.14 and it is still not working for me.  I have a ticket open with tier 2 support.  I am asking that it be escalated.  

Message 156 of 265
samnt650
Tutor

Firmware 3.2.17.12 did the trick.  NEST has been holding the charge for a week.

Message 157 of 265
Mrgrimms
Aspirant

What did you do to keep it working? I’m going to double check as I just manually updated the firmware on my rbk850s a couple days ago and it seems to drain faster.
Message 158 of 265
Mrgrimms
Aspirant

So both rbs850 and rbr850 are using v3.2.17.12 and it’s barely holding a charge to stay on the WiFi for half a day now. It’ll charge up to v3.82 and within 5 hours of putting it back on the base it’s back “offline”. I did notice that after rebooting everything is either connected to the rbr or the rbs, it’s not split it’s all or nothing.
Message 159 of 265
rbernstein
Guide

I manually updated as well to the latest firmware and it is still not holding a charge.  Did you do anything else beside updating?  

Message 160 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Did you factory reset and set up the system from scratch?

What channels are you using? I'm using 1 and 40. 40Mhz only and CTS at 64 AX enabled and sometimes disabled since I only have a couple of AX supporting devices. 

@rbernstein wrote:

I manually updated as well to the latest firmware and it is still not holding a charge.  Did you do anything else beside updating?  

Message 161 of 265
samnt650
Tutor

From all the troubleshooting w/ Netgear Tech Support.  There are few things you can help to minimize the NEST jumping between the Orbi device, one key way to drain the battery.  Yes, you need to make enough of the distance differences between Orbi(s), as in 10 fts or more between the closest and the next unit.  I know Orbi uses secondary Wifi for the backbone between devices for uplink.  I dont know how that play into the NEST battery drain (aka, behaviour of the Orbi)  My Orbi backbones are hardwired RJ45.  As far as I can tell, the firmware helps my NEST stay connects to one specific Orbi device and that how it save from battery drain.

Message 162 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

Agreed. My RBS are ethernet connected as well. 

Another thing to try turn down the power output of the RBR as well. Mines at 50% though my 3rd gen NEST still likes to connect to the RBS downstairs in the dinning room. My 3rd gen NEST has been stable on v12. Was stable even on v16 FW as well. 

I feel this is getting better. 

Message 163 of 265
ironmikel
Aspirant

Same issue here. Nest Thermostat Gen 3 started dying as soon as I installed this system.

Upgraded the firmware to V3.2.17.12_1.4.14, tried reducing power, and other things in this thread but it is still not resolved.The Orbi router is only about 10 feet and in direct line with the Nest Thermostat. The app shows connected to the RBR750 on 5ghz with good signal. The RBS750 is about 25 feet and a floor down from the RBR750.

I configured another wireless network on the ISP modem/router,connected the Nest to the ISP wifi, and I no longer have battery drain on the Nest. Hopefully there is a resolution and I can turn off the other network.

Message 164 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

"The RBS750 is about 25 feet and a floor down from the RBR750." 25 feet is too close. This wil cause a pinging effect on the NEST in connecting to signals. 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 

What channels are you using on 2.4 and 5Ghz? 

Also try changing CTS values from 64 to 2347. 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

@ironmikel wrote:

Same issue here. Nest Thermostat Gen 3 started dying as soon as I installed this system.

Upgraded the firmware to V3.2.17.12_1.4.14, tried reducing power, and other things in this thread but it is still not resolved.The Orbi router is only about 10 feet and in direct line with the Nest Thermostat. The app shows connected to the RBR750 on 5ghz with good signal. The RBS750 is about 25 feet and a floor down from the RBR750.

I configured another wireless network on the ISP modem/router,connected the Nest to the ISP wifi, and I no longer have battery drain on the Nest. Hopefully there is a resolution and I can turn off the other network.

Message 165 of 265
samnt650
Tutor

Poor-man troubleshoot....  Shutdown the RBS and see if your NEST battery situation imrpove..

Message 166 of 265
ironmikel
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

"The RBS750 is about 25 feet and a floor down from the RBR750." 25 feet is too close. This wil cause a pinging effect on the NEST in connecting to signals. 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 

Appreciate the response @FURRYe38 . I measured the actual distance and it is 39 feet between the router and satellite. 

2.4 ghz is on auto channels and 64 CTS.  5ghz is on channel 48 and 64 CTS. I will change both CTS to 2347.

I did not do a factory reset and setup from scratch after the FW update. If this is necessary I will have to wait a few days as my family is frustrated. Over the last 2 weeks I have been dealing with issues from a google wifi network, replaced all with new Nest wifi with multiple resets, and finally to the Orbi. Other than this issue very happy with the Orbi system and the speeds throughout my house are excellent.

Message 167 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, I'm using channel 1 and 40 here. I haven't changed CTS. I'm trying to ensure that default CTS values work with NEST. It has been. However for yours change CTS values and check. 

I'm also using 50% on the power output on the RBR. Since my next door neighbor has a Orbi system as well, I didn't want them to be causing problems. 

What is the distance betewen the RBR/RBR and your NEST? 

@ironmikel wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Appreciate the response @FURRYe38 . I measured the actual distance and it is 39 feet between the router and satellite. 

2.4 ghz is on auto channels and 64 CTS.  5ghz is on channel 48 and 64 CTS. I will change both CTS to 2347.

I did not do a factory reset and setup from scratch after the FW update. If this is necessary I will have to wait a few days as my family is frustrated. Over the last 2 weeks I have been dealing with issues from a google wifi network, replaced all with new Nest wifi with multiple resets, and finally to the Orbi. Other than this issue very happy with the Orbi system and the speeds throughout my house are excellent.

Message 168 of 265
shotime
Aspirant

Yikes, Netgear or Nest needs to fix this. I installed a new RBR750 with 2 RBS750s and immediately started losing power on 1 of 2 Nest thermostats. Banged my head against everything in sight before finding this thread. I've just re-added one of my previous wifi access points (Netgear EX6120) and given it a different SSID and channel just for the Nest thermostats. I'm fairly confident that will work around the problem, but I should not have to do that!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 169 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to contact NG support about. Nothing else we can do here in the forums. 

Good Luck. 

@shotime wrote:

Yikes, Netgear or Nest needs to fix this. I installed a new RBR750 with 2 RBS750s and immediately started losing power on 1 of 2 Nest thermostats. Banged my head against everything in sight before finding this thread. I've just re-added one of my previous wifi access points (Netgear EX6120) and given it a different SSID and channel just for the Nest thermostats. I'm fairly confident that will work around the problem, but I should not have to do that!

Message 170 of 265
Terry8166
Aspirant

that is the best an most pratical step to try.   great idea...have to try it this weekend.

Message 171 of 265
Terry8166
Aspirant

Poor-man troubleshoot....  Shutdown the RBS and see if your NEST battery situation imrpove..

Great Idea  I will tryit this weekend....
Message 172 of 265
shotime
Aspirant

Using the old extender dedicated to the Nest has been solid.
Message 173 of 265
uger534
Aspirant

I am also getting this failure, notwithstanding the 'check connection' running! Furthermore other shares at the disk worried (that's connected to a PC as you can checkhere) have labored exceptional.

Message 174 of 265
turbojimmy2
Guide

I'm having the same issue. Both thermostats die. I've been charging them with USB cables for months now. They're on different floors and each are pretty close (within 20 feet) of the base and satellite. Base is on the first floor, satellite is on the second floor almost directly above it. Firmware is up to date.

Do I bother calling support on this? Can they offer any help?

Message 175 of 265
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7