Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nest Thermostat Batteries LOW on a new ORBI AX setup

Liv4foos
Aspirant

Re: Nest Thermostat Batteries LOW on a new ORBI AX setup

Successful Workaround?

I turned BRIDGE mode OFF on my Xfinity router so it started to send out Wifi again.  I then changed the SSID to something new so I now have two Wifi networks running simultaneously with different SSIDs.  I then reassigned the one NEST thermostat to the new network and this seems to be working!  I was pleasantly surprised to find that I didn't need to change all my other NEST equipment to the new network (I have two 3rd gen thermostats, three cameras and three door locks).  I only changed the one thermostat to the new network and so far so good.

I believe Netgear recommends against running two networks like this with the Orbi but so far I haven't seen any issues (I'm only 24 hours in though).  I'll report back if I run into any problems.

Thanks for the reply FURRYe38.  If my workaround fails, I'll definitely try your suggestions.

Tim

Message 201 of 265
turbojimmy2
Guide

This is good to know. I hadn't even considered what would happen if my Nest devices were on different networks.

Hopefully the Nests power adapters will work (should be here next week) but if not this is a good workaround.

@Liv4foos wrote:

Successful Workaround?

I was pleasantly surprised to find that I didn't need to change all my other NEST equipment to the new network

Message 202 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can do that. You can have two wifi networks running as long what the source units are not close to each other and on different channels. 

@Liv4foos wrote:

Successful Workaround?

I turned BRIDGE mode OFF on my Xfinity router so it started to send out Wifi again.  I then changed the SSID to something new so I now have two Wifi networks running simultaneously with different SSIDs.  I then reassigned the one NEST thermostat to the new network and this seems to be working!  I was pleasantly surprised to find that I didn't need to change all my other NEST equipment to the new network (I have two 3rd gen thermostats, three cameras and three door locks).  I only changed the one thermostat to the new network and so far so good.

I believe Netgear recommends against running two networks like this with the Orbi but so far I haven't seen any issues (I'm only 24 hours in though).  I'll report back if I run into any problems.

Thanks for the reply FURRYe38.  If my workaround fails, I'll definitely try your suggestions.

Tim

Message 203 of 265
turbojimmy2
Guide

image_50409985.JPGI installed the Nest C-wire adapters today. Pretty straightforward installation at the air handler. Time will tell if it works. Both thermostats immediately started showing more battery power so that's a good sign.

Message 204 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. 

Message 205 of 265
pennycjc
Aspirant

I installed the Nest Power Connector last week. The thermostat still needs to be charged off its base once a day. I guess I should try a secondary router just for my thermostat.

Message 206 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure the connector adapter is wired correctly, if it isn't, then the controller wont' get the power it needs...

@pennycjc wrote:

I installed the Nest Power Connector last week. The thermostat still needs to be charged off its base once a day. I guess I should try a secondary router just for my thermostat.

Message 207 of 265
turbojimmy2
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Be sure the connector adapter is wired correctly, if it isn't, then the controller wont' get the power it needs...

@pennycjc wrote:

That would be my advice as well - make sure it's wired correctly. I installed 2 of the Nest Power Adapters and they fixed the issue (so far - it's been 4 days). Voltage for the thermostats has been varying but staying above the minimum 3.6V required to keep them connected.

Message 208 of 265
pennycjc
Aspirant

I triple checked the wiring. The good news is that the battery is staying charged now that I have it connected to a secondary (non-Orbi) router. 

Message 209 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy.

Message 210 of 265
turbojimmy2
Guide

Well it took a week after I installed the Nest power adapter, but now my downstairs thermostat is offline due to low power.

I guess I'll have to set up a secondary WiFi network for the thermostats.

Message 211 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

So the adapter is NOT working?

@turbojimmy2 wrote:

Well it took a week after I installed the Nest power adapter, but now my downstairs thermostat is offline due to low power.

Message 212 of 265
turbojimmy2
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

So the adapter is NOT working?

@turbojimmy2 wrote:

I think the adapter is working, but it's not enough to keep the thermostat charged. It took a week for it to die instead of a couple days.

Message 213 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like the adapter should be keeping the NEST charged from what I understand. 

Message 214 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

@turbojimmy2 

Please make contact with @Christian_R 

Ask for access to Firmware v3.2.18.223. Beta is ready and being made available for those who want to try this version. 

"Unknown/Phantom Satellite is showing up in the Orbi App
Netgear logs of Satellite are not collected in GUI debug logs
DNS issues"

Though it doesn't say anything about NEST issues, possible it may work better for you. 

Once you get the files, update the RBS first then RBR lastly. I would power OFF all units for 30 seconds then back ON. Same with your ISP MODEM/ONT. 

If any issues are still seen, you'll need to do a factory reset and clean setup from scratch. 

Message 215 of 265
turbojimmy2
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Seems like the adapter should be keeping the NEST charged from what I understand. 

Yes that was my understanding as well. I don't know how it actually works, but the situation is much better now. They go offline very infrequently now. Maybe once a week at most. And rather than plug them into a USB charger I just wait. After a few hours they come back online. Not a perfect situation but at least I don't have to manually charge them.

I've requested access to that firmware update.

Message 216 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for the details. Seems like the new beta isn't working either. Mine keeps disconnecting and low battery every couple of days. I've put a different Orbi system online, SRK30 and it's doing the same thing. Prior non NG router system I had online worked fine. Lordy I wish NG would fix this finally. Smiley Frustrated

Message 217 of 265
Bosjoe65
Tutor

I came to this forum for help, after installing the new router last week, from the old orbis I have, and I never had a problem till the new ones..   After following this,  either Netger or Nest updates their issues by updating their software . No I shouldn't have to have my router 20 feet away, no I shouldn't have to lower the power. 
So I resolved my issue after multiple devises to try to help, NO the NEST power connector does not work with the orbis at my home, the only thing I have gotten to work is this device.  Venstar acc0410 add a wire kit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IF3QXMC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it adds a 5th wire to a four wire system. It has worked perfectly the past few days. It's real simple to add to a 1 thermostat home.  

In the end either Nest or Netgear has dropped the ball the past year, by not solving the issue.

Message 218 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for posting. v1 FW seemed to be the most stable for me. I have since graduated to a beta which now the problem seems to have re-appeared on the beta. So I need to gather logs again. 

Ya I believe NEST and NG need to review this. I see that NEST has made some changes as well. I don't see the large WIFI signal on the control anymore when the controller disconnects. I asked them to provide notification on the NEST app to let users know when controlers become disconnected from the wifi router and or a low battery condition. Would be nice to have a notification on the APP for users to see, not just see that the controller isn't connected on the Apps page. 

I went back to my Orbi RBK50 series earlier this week and the controller has been stable since. I'll have to reconnect to the Orbi RBK853 system and collect logs...again. 

Message 219 of 265
turbojimmy2
Guide

Okay I gave up. The thermostats are dying more frequently now even with the power adapter. I just installed an old router and set up a WiFi network just for the Nest thermostats.

I have a couple of 2.4Ghz WiFi switches set up to control my garage doors. I had lost the ability to use them when I set up the Orbi's so now I can use those again.

Message 220 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

Funny you should post this this morning. 

After again having problems with my one 3rd Gen NEST on v223 beta is it was loaded and v1 had been working for me, the battery power levels kept dropping, so I changed my setting on the RBR power set for 50% up from 25%, and set CTS from 64 to 2347 last nite. Been using manual channels 11 and 48 since v223 got loaded and started having NEST problems again. I had been messing around with a 2ndary router that I had the NEST connected to so it went back to the RBR850 whist I was messing around, thus battery had drained prior to me making these last changes last nite. So I had to put it on a charge for a few minutes. After making the changes and putting a charge on the NEST, I watched the volts on the NEST and they held this time and seemed to increase from 3.71 to 3.77v last nite. Just checking now from work, the app shows it's at 3.82volts. Only when the volts get down to 3.6something does the controller fall off and report low battery. 

I was thinking that distance from the NEST to the RBR was maybe too close, however last changes in power levels and CTS seem to show something different. Mines about 4 feet from the RBR. I've been fighting this with CTS set to default 64 and maybe NEST prefers 2347. I noticed there was a NEST update as well since I had been using v1. 

So for now will continue to monitor it. For me at least, CTS 2347 and power at 50% on manual channel 11 and 48 seems to look good for mine. 

Message 221 of 265
Bosjoe65
Tutor

The power adaptes did not work. My solution is still working fine. It's real simple and will save you this headache. It adds a 5th wire. It was the cheapest solution then running a new wire. The thermostat needs more power then supplied by that adapter.
Still Netgear and Nest fault. But I been happy with my solution.
Message 222 of 265
turbojimmy2
Guide

I hope it works for you.

I feel that a user shouldn't have to go through all of these hoops to make it work. I need to keep mine on 100% power because I need the range.

Another thing that is now corrected with the Nest thermostats being on a different network is my temp sensors dropping off. I have 3 temp sensors connected to the 2 thermostats. They would drop off as well. One got to a point where it stopped connecting to my upstairs thermostat at all. This was happening while the thermostats were still online (battery not dead). They magically reconnected and have stayed connected now.

Message 223 of 265
turbojimmy2
Guide

Is that pretty much like the Nest power adapter but provides more power? Installs at the air handler?

@Bosjoe65 wrote:
The power adaptes did not work. My solution is still working fine. It's real simple and will save you this headache. It adds a 5th wire. It was the cheapest solution then running a new wire. The thermostat needs more power then supplied by that adapter.
Still Netgear and Nest fault. But I been happy with my solution.

Message 224 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels and values are you using? 

Do you have the v223 beta loaded? If so, give my settings a try and see. Try power at 100% on yours however change channels and CTS values...monitor the voltage either at the controller or on the app...

@turbojimmy2 wrote:

I hope it works for you.

I feel that a user shouldn't have to go through all of these hoops to make it work. I need to keep mine on 100% power because I need the range.

Another thing that is now corrected with the Nest thermostats being on a different network is my temp sensors dropping off. I have 3 temp sensors connected to the 2 thermostats. They would drop off as well. One got to a point where it stopped connecting to my upstairs thermostat at all. This was happening while the thermostats were still online (battery not dead). They magically reconnected and have stayed connected now.

Message 225 of 265
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7