Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Online Update 4.6.3.16 (RBR850/RBS850)

Garwoofoo
Apprentice

No, my router (a Virgin Media Super Hub 4) does not offer that functionality.

Message 76 of 190
GoldenRetroGame
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You can go back to v3:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2130584#M185...

That's what I've done. The downgrade did not go smooth though, as the satelite was not registering itself and simply coming up as a regular device on the network. After several resets and reflashing the firmware, it finally started working again.

@Garwoofoo wrote:

The old v3 release had major issues too, specifically the DNS lookups intermittently failing when using the Orbi in router mode.

Some of us were on a beta release of v3, which fixed the DNS issue as well as other issues with that branch.

Message 77 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

So your back on v223? 

@GoldenRetroGame wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You can go back to v3:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2130584#M185...

That's what I've done. The downgrade did not go smooth though, as the satelite was not registering itself and simply coming up as a regular device on the network. After several resets and reflashing the firmware, it finally started working again.

Message 78 of 190
GoldenRetroGame
Apprentice

Yes. I'm back on 3.2.18.223 and things are working much better.

Message 79 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

And your blocking NG update services on something in front of the RBR? 

@GoldenRetroGame wrote:

Yes. I'm back on 3.2.18.223 and things are working much better.

Message 80 of 190
GoldenRetroGame
Apprentice

I have a DNS server where I've configured it to route the update server host name to localhost.

Message 81 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 82 of 190
WRSORBI
Luminary

Re: New Online Update 4.6.3.16 (RBR850/RBS85

Furry....to try to remedy the satellite boot loop I had downgraded to my RBR850 to ver 3 successfully but that evening it auto upgraded to 4,6.3.16. I contacted NG who directed me yesterday to downgrade to 4.6.3.9 and assured me it would not auto upgrade.  Of course, it auto upgraded to 4.6.3.16 today and my satellite is in an auto booting loop. How long did you leave your router/satellite powered down that remedied the satellite reboot?

Message 83 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

When I noticed this on mine I left the entire system unplugged for 24hours. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6/RBR850-RBS850-4-6-3-9-Firmware-problem/m-p/2135277/high...

Yes Orbi AX was not my primary home system and understand that not everyone can do this. You can try leaving the RBS OFF for several minutes and see if this does anything. If you have a time frame that nobody will be online or need internet, power the entire system down for as long as possible. Means unplug the power adapters. I'd disconnect any LAN devices from the RBR and RBS. I brought my RBR back online and setup it up first. Once it was setup, I connected the RBS one at a time, they were near or in same room as the RBR as I wanted to visually make sure the RBS wouldn't do the boot loop again. Never did that again after that. 

@WRSORBI wrote:

Furry....to try to remedy the satellite boot loop I had downgraded to my RBR850 to ver 3 successfully but that evening it auto upgraded to 4,6.3.16. I contacted NG who directed me yesterday to downgrade to 4.6.3.9 and assured me it would not auto upgrade.  Of course, it auto upgraded to 4.6.3.16 today and my satellite is in an auto booting loop. How long did you leave your router/satellite powered down that remedied the satellite reboot?

Message 84 of 190
WRSORBI
Luminary

Furry....update after powering satellite down for 24 hours. No change. Although with my issue the led lights never come on to indicate a reboot is occurring. The problem is manifested with the backhaul status periodically oscillating between Good and Poor when I go to check it in a browser. This condition only startis 24 hours after a power on, factory refresh, etc,  I'll try a complete RBR/RBS 24 hour shutdown when I can, This problem exists only in the latest firmware.

Message 85 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 86 of 190
titaniumrx8
Apprentice

For everyone who wants netgear to stop forced firmware updates please visit and comment on this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/Stop-unscheduled-firmware-updates-in-Orbi-AX...
Message 87 of 190
dtay
Luminary

Here's my experience on the v4.6.3.16 firmware.

I thought I was safe from the v4 firmware update being pushed down to my Orbi (as I had blocked the two websites mentioned on the router itself) for the last few weeks but I guess that wasn't enough. Late last night (probably around 1:30 am?), I got notification that my Wi-Fi was offline on my phone and when I checked, sure enough it was disconnected.  Minutes later, the Wi-Fi came back on and I thought it was just a blip.  Logged into the Orbi app and I was shocked to see it said my Orbi 853 had updated to V4.6.3.16_2.0.51.  I did a quick check and noticed that two of my 850S satellites which are on wired backhaul, were showing no clients connected and every client was on the RBR itself.  As it was late, I decided to just put it off until the morning to look at it.

This morning, when I checked the satellites on the Orbi app (Android), I noticed the two RBS satellites were still showing no clients attached.  I power cycled everything - starting with the satellites and then the main router - and after a few minutes when all the units were online, the app was still reporting no clients on the satellites from the app. But when I login to the satellites via a PC on the browser, it did show me me the clients on each satellite. A bug on the app?  However, about 10-15 minutes later, I checked the the app again and now all the clients were showing connected on the two satellites.  Strange, but at least it's now working.

I did a quick triage of all the settings on the router via the browser from a computer and everything seemed to be OK.  No issues with speed tests (506.35 Mbps + 564.48 Mbps per the app) and the new parental control functionality was enabled so I proceeded to disable my Circle Plus unit so that I can set it up.  So far, the new Parental Control features seems to be working but it's limited in functionality compared to Circle Plus (is Netgear's new Parental Control based on Circle Plus, as I see some similarity?) but I'll post my comments and query on the appropriate forum about it.

Will keep an eye on this new firmware as it progresses.  Thankfully I didn't have to factory reset anything and my remote access ("Anywhere Access") is working fine outside of Wi-Fi.  Am I on the lucky ones so far not having any issues? I hope so.  Keeping fingers crossed. 

Smiley Happy

Message 88 of 190
frostyfly
Initiate

Had issues with the satellite after the update.

It looks like it did not manage to sync correctly post update.

Tried removing and resetting the satellite, even tried rolling back to v3 which did not last very long since I couldn't block it from updating again - using it in router mode, couldnt telnet in (no option in the debug menu anymore, putty gives me a connection refused error), blocking the update sites in the setting does not do anything really.

Being sick of looking of solutions to try get the downgrade to stick, I tried getting the new firmware to work for me via the usual power cycle + factory reset + sync

At one point, somehow the sync ended up wonky and the wireless password did not manage to get synced - I had to use the password to the default SSID to log into my network.

Kept trying and somehow it finally managed to get going by manually syncing it while having the units side by side sans cable connection to the satellite.

Plugging in the LAN cable to the satellite somehow screwed something up for me.

Even after it synced, once I plugged the cable in, the ip address resolution stopped working.

Keeping it wireless at the moment, though backhaul status remains as poor on the web console despite the satellite itself showing a solid blue when it connected (yes it shows that its a 5G connection).

I'm gonna try plugging in the cable again later when no one else is using the internet, hopefully its just my impatience that the wired connection does not work

I still wish netgear just lets consumers disable the auto update esp when most have to work from home now, any disruption to the internet is so painful. 

Its rubbish for such an expensive system to be so limited and disruptive. 

Safe to say I doubt I would ever opt for another netgear wifi system while this policy remains unchanged (waiting on more wifi 6e products before a switch but if such issues continue, I might just be forced to jump the gun). 

Message 89 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

Try downgrading back to v3 on the RBS first then RBR lastly then follow the link to block using telnet:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2131307/highligh...

@frostyfly wrote:

Had issues with the satellite after the update.

It looks like it did not manage to sync correctly post update.

Tried removing and resetting the satellite, even tried rolling back to v3 which did not last very long since I couldn't block it from updating again - using it in router mode, couldnt telnet in (no option in the debug menu anymore, putty gives me a connection refused error), blocking the update sites in the setting does not do anything really.

Being sick of looking of solutions to try get the downgrade to stick, I tried getting the new firmware to work for me via the usual power cycle + factory reset + sync

At one point, somehow the sync ended up wonky and the wireless password did not manage to get synced - I had to use the password to the default SSID to log into my network.

Kept trying and somehow it finally managed to get going by manually syncing it while having the units side by side sans cable connection to the satellite.

Plugging in the LAN cable to the satellite somehow screwed something up for me.

Even after it synced, once I plugged the cable in, the ip address resolution stopped working.

Keeping it wireless at the moment, though backhaul status remains as poor on the web console despite the satellite itself showing a solid blue when it connected (yes it shows that its a 5G connection).

I'm gonna try plugging in the cable again later when no one else is using the internet, hopefully its just my impatience that the wired connection does not work

I still wish netgear just lets consumers disable the auto update esp when most have to work from home now, any disruption to the internet is so painful. 

Its rubbish for such an expensive system to be so limited and disruptive. 

Safe to say I doubt I would ever opt for another netgear wifi system while this policy remains unchanged (waiting on more wifi 6e products before a switch but if such issues continue, I might just be forced to jump the gun). 

Message 90 of 190
GoldenRetroGame
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try downgrading back to v3 on the RBS first then RBR lastly then follow the link to block using telnet:

My system auto updated again. I downgrading back to v3.2.18.233, but I have no way to telnet in to the system. The telnet option doesn't exist on the debug page. Unhiding the enable tenet option using dev tools doesn't seem to help either. Enable the option doesn't do anything.

Is there any other way to enable telnet?

Message 91 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

From what the user says, this works:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2131307/highligh...

But you have to use the v10 version of FW for now. V3.2.10.10 as this was last version that had working telnet. 

@GoldenRetroGame wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

My system auto updated again. I downgrading back to v3.2.18.233, but I have no way to telnet in to the system. The telnet option doesn't exist on the debug page. Unhiding the enable tenet option using dev tools doesn't seem to help either. Enable the option doesn't do anything.

Is there any other way to enable telnet?

Message 92 of 190
GoldenRetroGame
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

But you have to use the v10 version of FW for now. V3.2.10.10 as this was last version that had working telnet. 

The 10 version has broken DNS and other issues, so that doesn't really work.

Message 93 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't remeber having issues with v10 on mine. 

Do you have a upstream router or 2nd hand router on hand by chance? 

Message 94 of 190
GoldenRetroGame
Apprentice

I defienitely had issues with v10. The worst was unreliable connectivity on iOS devices. That problem seems to be back on the lastest firmware, as it's how I noticed the system autoupgraded. 3.2.18.223 was the first and only firmware that has been pretty much flawless for me.

I don't have any other routers configured. If Netgear doesn't solve the problem with the latest firmware branch soon, I'm selling the Orbi and moving to another mesh system. I can't keep having my connectivity being unreliable, especially given the work-from-home state many of us are still in.

Message 95 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd try v10 again and see how it does. IOS software has changed since then as well, 

I'd disable AX mode on the RBR and set CTS values to 2347 right out the gate. 

Message 96 of 190
frostyfly
Initiate

Welp, I connected the cable back again and it looks like its working now.

Looks like it really was because I was impatient the last time.

I'll observe for now to see how it performs before deciding whether I want to go through the hassle of having to try the downgrade again.

Message 97 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad that was wall then...

@frostyfly wrote:

Welp, I connected the cable back again and it looks like its working now.

Looks like it really was because I was impatient the last time.

I'll observe for now to see how it performs before deciding whether I want to go through the hassle of having to try the downgrade again.

Message 98 of 190
Quaksyx
Tutor

Well, the autoupdate got me too, however all is still functional for me.  Oddly, it didn't get my satellites and the Online Update is still offering a really old firmware (which is a downgrade from where I'm at).  Everything was on v4.6.3.9 -- now my router is on v4.6.3.16, while my satellites are being offered v3.2.16.6.  I won't click the update all, but I'm hoping that the system doesn't go ahead and try it (which will likely cause me all kinds of grief).  Screenshot attached.

Message 99 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

And system is working as is? 

@Quaksyx wrote:

Well, the autoupdate got me too, however all is still functional for me.  Oddly, it didn't get my satellites and the Online Update is still offering a really old firmware (which is a downgrade from where I'm at).  Everything was on v4.6.3.9 -- now my router is on v4.6.3.16, while my satellites are being offered v3.2.16.6.  I won't click the update all, but I'm hoping that the system doesn't go ahead and try it (which will likely cause me all kinds of grief).  Screenshot attached.

Message 100 of 190
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7