Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version 3.2.7.2

FURRYe38
Guru

New RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version 3.2.7.2

New FW available for the Orbi RBK852.

Bug Fixes:

• The network topology when using an Ethernet backhaul takes 20 minutes to stabilize 
  • The 2.4 GHz wireless network is disabled if the Wi-Fi HT20/HT-40 Coexist function is disabled
  • The 2.4 GHz guest network does not work if WiFi security is set to WPA3-Personal

Known Issues:

• The Orbi app allows configuring unsupported Wi-Fi security types (WPA2/WPA3 mixed mode)

Download files here:

https://kb.netgear.com/000061398/RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-3-2-7-2\

Also can be seen in the Orbi app. Download the files first for safe keeping. Try the update from the Orbi app first. If it doesnt' work, then you have the FW files saved. 

If the RBK852 doesn't continue to work correctly after the FW update, perform a factory reset on the RBS and RBR and setup from scratch. Also if you manually load the FW files, you can do a factory reset and setup from scratch as a suggested method. 

Let us know how it works for you... 

Message 1 of 32
DoctorA
Luminary

Thank you

Nice to see that the bug is fixed when Ethernet backhaul used to take 20 minutes to stabilize. This confirms that my RBK 850 is not defective and I was not doing something wrong when I was having problems RBR 850 connected to RBS 850 through Ethernet.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK852-devices-connected-through-ethernet-ports-are-slow/td...

I just checked and it had automatically updated earlier both the Satellite and the Router.

All my 35 plus attached devices are working and it remembered the IP address I reserved for Raspberry Pi. Mine is in Wired backhaul and my wired desktop works at 100% capacity getting 950Mbps. Next to the Satellite, 20 feet away iphone Xs Max link rate is 866Mbps and ookla speed test is 600-650 Mbps.  iphone 6 link rate is 780 Mbps on the phone app and ookla connects to the internet at 400Mbps. Next to the Router the number are the same. I can't wait to get and test the new iphone 11 with WiFi6.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

New FW available for the Orbi RBK852.

Bug Fixes:

• The network topology when using an Ethernet backhaul takes 20 minutes to stabilize 
  • The 2.4 GHz wireless network is disabled if the Wi-Fi HT20/HT-40 Coexist function is disabled
  • The 2.4 GHz guest network does not work if WiFi security is set to WPA3-Personal

Known Issues:

• The Orbi app allows configuring unsupported Wi-Fi security types (WPA2/WPA3 mixed mode)

Download files here:

https://kb.netgear.com/000061398/RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-3-2-7-2\

Also can be seen in the Orbi app. Download the files first for safe keeping. Try the update from the Orbi app first. If it doesnt' work, then you have the FW files saved. 

If the RBK852 doesn't continue to work correctly after the FW update, perform a factory reset on the RBS and RBR and setup from scratch. Also if you manually load the FW files, you can do a factory reset and setup from scratch as a suggested method. 

Let us know how it works for you... 

Message 2 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome. Thanks for letting us know. I'm anxious to test this out on mine as well. Really hoping that they fixed the issue I found with the RBS connected behing a few daisy chained switches. 

Looks like there making progress though.

Message 3 of 32
theBrick89
Star

I just update my system with new firmwares. Oddly enough, RBR updated smoothely but somehow RBS wasn't updating itself so I had to went on Satellite's IP to upload firmware directly.

Message 4 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the RBS wired or wireless connected to the RBR? 

Sounds like you got it updated though. 

Message 5 of 32
DoctorA
Luminary

I was wondering if RBK 852 has faster or same iphone internet and Link connection speeds compared to RBK 52. It is interesting why with last year's Xs Max I am getting lower than linked speed to the RBS 850.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Awesome. Thanks for letting us know. I'm anxious to test this out on mine as well. Really hoping that they fixed the issue I found with the RBS connected behing a few daisy chained switches. 

Looks like there making progress though.

Message 6 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't know. I don't have a X phone yet. Still using a iPhone 6sP. 

What are you speeds seen at the RBR? Is this the only X phone you have? 

What does WiFi Speed Spots app report for the rate seen with the phone connected at near the RBR vs RBS? 

Last time I checked my ASUS GT-AX11000 in wireless bridge mode was connecting over 1900Mbps with the RBR. I'll be checking this again. 

Message 7 of 32
Nsiddons
Apprentice

After the update I had to reboot a few times then just pulled the power cycle and finally started to act right.

Message 8 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

IF the system doesn't seem to be working right after the FW update, please try a factory reset on the system and setup from scratch. 

@Nsiddons wrote:

After the update I had to reboot a few times then just pulled the power cycle and finally started to act right.

Message 9 of 32
Nsiddons
Apprentice

pulling the plug and waits a few seconds was and is usually the perfect solution 

Message 10 of 32
Chuck_M
Mentor

Got home and was going to update, but the system had updated itself automatically.

Interesting that all three of my sattelites report as being hard wired.  (See attachment)

Only two of the three are hardwired backhaul, the RBS850 is wifi backhaul.

This was being reported properly before the update but now is not.

Of course the naming issue of devices remains and needs to be fixed as well.

Also not working is access to Orbi from the WAN...  It shows the product (RBR850) with a red dot next to it reporting DISCONNECTED.

If you access via the android app from within the wireless LAN, it connects.

I have reinstalled the app more times than I care to admit... no behavior change.

So I see three issues:

1.  Satellite connection status reporting

2.  Naming retention of attached devices

3.  WAN access via android orbi app is unable to connect.

My system is not complex from the WAN side.     Cable modem - Orbi Router 

Message 11 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you enable, then disable, then re-enable remote management from the RBRs web page, using the Orbi app?

Message 12 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Sometimes thats not enough. A reset and setup from scratch maybe needed. 

@Nsiddons wrote:

pulling the plug and waits a few seconds was and is usually the perfect solution 

Message 13 of 32
Chuck_M
Mentor

Regarding the App issue of product not being accessible:

I found that if you log onto the App from the WAN...  (and it reports router as disconnected), then tap the three dots and REMOVE the device from the App.  Then log onto the app from the LAN and it will re-add device to your product list and it reports as online.  It appears to be working for now (until it is gone again)\\

The new firmware appears to have broken the correct reporting of type of backhaul.  Both the app and browser access to the GUI show all three of my satellites to be hardwired backhaul when in fact one is wireless.  Was working perfectly until the recent firmware update.

Message 14 of 32
DoctorA
Luminary

My satellite is connected with Ethernet wire and both app on the iPhone Xs Max and  the orbi GUI accessed from my desktop browser report correctly as Wired.

Like before, few names of the attached devices on the app are not showing but mac and ip addresses are correct.

@Chuck_M wrote:

I found that if you log onto the App from the WAN...  (and it reports router as disconnected), then tap the three dots and REMOVE the device from the App.  Then log onto the app from the LAN and it will re-add device to your product list and it reports as online.  It appears to be working for now (until it is gone again)\\

The new firmware appears to have broken the correct reporting of type of backhaul.  Both the app and browser access to the GUI show all three of my satellites to be hardwired backhaul when in fact one is wireless.  Was working perfectly until the recent firmware update.

Message 15 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Also possible that the Orbi app needs updating as well. There is a beta Orbi app for those who signed up for beta test Orbi app. 

You may want to post about this in the Orbi app forum for some visibility there with the Orbi app team:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

The router FW and Orbi app seem to never be on the same page. Smiley Frustrated

@Chuck_M wrote:

Message 16 of 32
Chuck_M
Mentor

two points of clarification:

I had THOUGHT I had solved the issue of being able to access the AX6000 from the WAN... but it reverted to its previous behavior.  Sigh.

The app also shows all three satellites as  being hard wired -- which only two of them are hard wired.  But this isnt necessarily an app problem, as the web based GUI also reports all satellites as being wired.  I would suppose the app gets the information from the same place the web GUI does.  Bottom line is this new firmware broke the GUI and App's proper display of attached devices.

Message 17 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset and setup from scratch or update and continue with out a reset on the system? 

I just updated mine. I'll be getting it online hopefully today or tomorrow. However I only have 1 RBS. 

How are your wired RBS connected? I presume thru a switch, of so, please refresh the mfr and model info. 

Try this, What happens if you change the RBS from wired to wireless. Just to see if the UI and app change status. 

Possible that the FW and or app are maybe having a hard time with mixed connected RBSs...

I don't know if Daisy Chain is being used on Orbi AX either and it's not in the UI for what I know up to this point. Something that Orbi AC has and can be disabled for mixed RBS connections. 

@Chuck_M wrote:

two points of clarification:

I had THOUGHT I had solved the issue of being able to access the AX6000 from the WAN... but it reverted to its previous behavior.  Sigh.

The app also shows all three satellites as  being hard wired -- which only two of them are hard wired.  But this isnt necessarily an app problem, as the web based GUI also reports all satellites as being wired.  I would suppose the app gets the information from the same place the web GUI does.  Bottom line is this new firmware broke the GUI and App's proper display of attached devices.

Message 18 of 32
Chuck_M
Mentor

You are right about the daisy chain.... in fact, when I reboot the AX6000 (with wired and unwired satellites)... if you are watching the app from inside the lan you can see it "shuffle" around the satellites trying to figure the best configuration.

As you mentioned, the Daisy Chain option is no longer there... so today this was the original diagram the app gave me....  which shows two RBSs wirelessly (!!!!!) connecting to the RBS850 which reports to the RBR850.  The RBS850 is wireless so that hard wired line is also incorrect.

After a while it settled down and showed all satellites reporting directly to the RBR850 through hard wired connections (although the RBS850 is not hardwired).

I will change (when I get home) the RBS' to no-kidding wireless and see how that affects the world.

I did not do any form of a factory reset after firmware update.... although I have rebooted them.  Will give that a shot as well and report back.

Thanks for dialogue!  

Message 19 of 32
Chuck_M
Mentor

Here was original layout reported before the firmware upgrade which is correct.

Remember, the Web GUI from inside the lan also reports the same connection types in both pictures.

Message 20 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems the the system is trying to figure things out. Your in somewhat uncharted territory with having more than one RBS connected so this maybe another factor that NG will need to look at and I presume they will and hopefully make users happy with coming out with support for additional RBS. With all the new tech code inside FW and HW, I presume that NG may have chosen not to support additional RBS until they could make sure having 1 RBS would work well. There have been issues I've seen with wired RBS. New AX and WPA3 tech is also a factor that NG has to work with and ensure things are working. So again, NG maybe taking thing slow to ensure system is going in the right direction. It's complex to say the least. 

Message 21 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, hard to say if this is a mostly FW or combination of FW and Orbi app issue. However again, this is new territory with having more than the one supported RBS connected so I presume NG will be looking into this. Also that RBS50 series are not officially supported, though it was mentioned that wired connect would work. So until NG officially supports this, maybe something you'll need to keep in mind for now. 

Message 22 of 32
Chuck_M
Mentor

...but the system works well (regardless of what the pictures are showing).  Coverage and speed are very good.

Message 23 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes and it probably will. I presume its the tuning of the RBS50s to fully work with the Orbi AX that may come from NG in the future. Currently the RBS50 won't connect wirelessly. Wired yes. Eventually, I hope NG will make it all work well. Takes time is all. 

PM'd you. 

Message 24 of 32
Chuck_M
Mentor

So last night I continued testing to determine why the RBS 853 -- which is wireless backhaul, continually reports itself as being a Wired Connection.

After backing up settings to desktop, I factory reset the RBR853 and then restored the backed up settings to reimplement reserved IPs.

After waiting for a while for things to settle down, I displayed from the Web GUI "Connected Devices" and it reported the RBS 853 as still hard wired (ethernet connected.)  it is not.  The Orbi App also reports as hard wired.

I then decided to factory reset the satellite to see if that had any effect.  It did not.

I do want to point out that it appears that the satellites "auto connect".  The factory reset process doesnt appear to follow what was expected from documentation.

Example on RBR853:  Push the pin in and wait for power light to flash.  -- It flashes.  release.  Then the white led on the front of the router flashes for a while and then goes out.

On RBS 853:  Push the pin in and wait for power light to flash -- it flashes.  Release.  The white light on front flashes then after a significant period of time turns magenta (solid) and then blue (solid).

If you push the synch button on either the satellite or the router, the white led flashes...  Which I thought was an indication of startup or loading firmware.  It never turns solid white on either the router nor the satellites.

Any thoughts on this?

Message 25 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7