Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.3.9 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

Yes and it should be reproduce either by someone else or by NG. Can also point to a HW problem as well. If FW works for one and doesn't for another, can point to a specific HW problem vs FW. I work in the arena all day.

So definately get your debug logs to NG. Hopefully they can tell whats happening. 

Good luck. 

Message 51 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK850-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-9-Issue-with-wired/m-p...

@ekhalil wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Just because you reported it doesn't mean it's a global FW issue as well.  

This is a very basic principle in software verification! One incident of an issue is a good reason to start troubleshooting, but one incident of a working scenario is not a proof that the software is good. 🙂

Message 52 of 108
raven_au
Virtuoso

@raven_au wrote:

A little further investigation after a factory reset and reconfigure ...

I have two pieces of evidance that devices are doing a disconnect dance.

First the connection light on a Harmony hub will turn red for a while every several minutes and then green again. That device is on 2.4Ghz wireless and I'm fairly sure disabling AX on the 2.4Ghz band fixes it, I'll need to put the 850's back in and check again.

And the second is a message I've never before, until the firmware update, when I exit from watching a show in Disney+ saying I'm offline. I suspect that message is hidden when the show is playing (since the disconnect time is short the buffering allows it to continue) and is probably the last occurrance of it I see at exit. I can't say if disabling AX helps with it but I suspect not. I'll need to continue to monitor that when I put the 850's back in too.

It's interesting I found the 50 series also have the DHCP problem I mentioned above so switching to those doesn't help with that problem.

I continued using my 800 series devices and while I originally had problems with devices reporting a low sync rate last night those same devices were responsive to use, bit rate increased when needed, and they changed to a closer satellite transparently.

As long as I don't have problems using these devices I'm not sure I actually care about what happens with bit rate and where they are associated. Will keep monitoring ...

The 2.4Ghz frequent re-connect with AX enabled and DHCP stopping giving out IP addresses remain problems though.

Message 53 of 108
raven_au
Virtuoso

@raven_au wrote:

I continued using my 800 series devices and while I originally had problems with devices reporting a low sync rate last night those same devices were responsive to use, bit rate increased when needed, and they changed to a closer satellite transparently.

As long as I don't have problems using these devices I'm not sure I actually care about what happens with bit rate and where they are associated. Will keep monitoring ...

The 2.4Ghz frequent re-connect with AX enabled and DHCP stopping giving out IP addresses remain problems though.

So I returned to this again today and had problems.

On a 2019 Shield TV Pro I got buffering and at one point I exited from Plex and saw the network had been disconnected and was reconnecting.

It wasn't transparent and I'm pretty sure that it had connected to a nearby satellite and was in the process of being booted off it after a short time.

I also had reports of unreliable network connections from my two grand children trying to do their homework.

So it seems pretty conclusive there's a wireless disconnection problem with the firmware.

Sadly this does make the routers more or less unusable.

Message 54 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

What are your current CTS value? Try 2347 if you haven't try that yet...

Try disabling AX Mode to see if this changes the behavior...

Message 55 of 108
Richie_Rico
Aspirant

SPC just turned on this morning for me. It now shows up on my orbi app.

Unforunately, you have to pay for every aspect of it....yet linksys velop gives you spc for free... disappointed

will continue to use OpenDNS.

Message 56 of 108
raven_au
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

They are at default except 2.4Ghz AX is disabled.

Disabling 5Ghz AX didn't make a difference when I tried it.

I haven't tried changing CTS for a while but when I have it didn't make a difference and the behaviour was much the same as it is now when I did try it.

Message 57 of 108
raven_au
Virtuoso

@raven_au wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

They are at default except 2.4Ghz AX is disabled.

Disabling 5Ghz AX didn't make a difference when I tried it.

I haven't tried changing CTS for a while but when I have it didn't make a difference and the behaviour was much the same as it is now when I did try it.

The problem with trying these various things is that it was working ok before updating to this firmware.

I have gone through a few of iterations of trying things (before I started posting about what I'm seeing) , including a (couple of) factory reset and re-configure from scratch.

Message 58 of 108

I received my new Orbi RBK852 today and after I had set it up, I manually updated the Satellite and then the Router to firmware 4.6.3.9. Overall no issues experienced other that two items below:

1. While my RBR850 Router shows firmware 4.6.3.9 in the Router Information, it displays V3.2.18.1 in the top right of the browser window.

Orbi firmware version.JPG

2. Eventhough I had never switched on the Guest Network, and in the settings it was showing as Off, I could see an unprotected Netgear_Guest showing on my iPhone available WiFi networks. Unfortunately while I have a screen shot of the Router settings to show the Guest Network is switched off, I didn't get a screenshot from my phone showing the unprotected Netgear_Guest network being in the list. I proved it was from this router by renaming the Guest Network to Netgear_Potato and adding WPA2-PSK security, while keeping it switched off, and I saw it listed on my iPhone with a secure symbol.

WiFi.JPG

Unfortunately I can't see it now, but it is a little worrying if I hadn't noticed it that the router was making the Guest Network available.

I have my Orbi connected to the Google Fiber Jack and so far no issues with having removed the Google Fiber Network box.

Alex

Message 59 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to clear out all browser caches.

Try the RBRs web page with a different browser to compare...

Did you power OFF the RBR and RBS for 30 seconds after updating FW? 

If you saw this while the RBR was getting to ready, i maybe online for a few seconds then turning back OFF...You might factory reset the RBR and Setup from scratch to see if this clears this...I believe I saw this once as well...I have not seen it again.

Message 60 of 108
lof
Guide
Guide

Updated and our 3rd RBS seems to be attempting to connect to the RBR instead of the other RBS unit resulting in "poor" connection although the light on the 3rd RBS occasionally is showing solid blue. Already tried a 30s restart thus far.

Message 61 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you doing this with this one RBS in the same room or near the RBR with the other RBS turned OFF? 

Did you reset the RBS then re-sync after removing it from the RBRs web page? 

@lof wrote:

Updated and our 3rd RBS seems to be attempting to connect to the RBR instead of the other RBS unit resulting in "poor" connection although the light on the 3rd RBS occasionally is showing solid blue. Already tried a 30s restart thus far.

Message 62 of 108
lof
Guide
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Are you doing this with this one RBS in the same room or near the RBR with the other RBS turned OFF? 

Did you reset the RBS then re-sync after removing it from the RBRs web page? 

@lof wrote:

RBS is in same location it was prior to the update, just tried a reset and re-pair, still showing as connecting to the RBR with backhaul status as "poor." 

Message 63 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you bring the RBS to same room as the RBR? 

Be sure to turn OFF all other RBS while working with this one RBS. 

Swap around RBS locations with other RBS to see if problem follows...

Message 64 of 108
lof
Guide
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What happens if you bring the RBS to same room as the RBR? 

Be sure to turn OFF all other RBS while working with this one RBS. 

Swap around RBS locations with other RBS to see if problem follows...

RBS in the same room works, issue is in a daisy chain setup it keeps connecting to the RBR when it previously connected via the other RBS as it should.

Message 65 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, so try this, put the RBS back in it's place. With the other RBS turned OFF, power ON the nearest RBS to the RBR. Let it sync fully. Then power ON the next RBS. IF this is the one RBS thats connecting to the RBR, It should connect to the RBS thats already ON and running. Check the status of the 2nd RBS with the Orbi app. It should be connected to the 1st RBS. 

You can try this as well, try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 66 of 108
lof
Guide
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ok, so try this, put the RBS back in it's place. With the other RBS turned OFF, power ON the nearest RBS to the RBR. Let it sync fully. Then power ON the next RBS. IF this is the one RBS thats connecting to the RBR, It should connect to the RBS thats already ON and running. Check the status of the 2nd RBS with the Orbi app. It should be connected to the 1st RBS. 

You can try this as well, try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Much appreciated, got the RBS connected as expected to the other RBS. Other issues seem to perist thorugh the firmware update such as some guest network dropouts and the disconnection issues with this 12 Pro Max. Unsure if the partiuclar problem with the 12 Pro Max is iOS 15 Beta only, going to have to reset and backdate again to be sure.

Message 67 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, would be good to see if something prior to beta exhibits same thing...

Try disabling AX mode on the RBR and set CTS to 2347 if you haven't try that already...

Message 68 of 108
lof
Guide
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ok, would be good to see if something prior to beta exhibits same thing...

Try disabling AX mode on the RBR and set CTS to 2347 if you haven't try that already...

Okay it seems issue does persist on a fresh install back to iOS 14.7.1, when going into Wi-Fi settings there is a brief "no internet connection" error, Wi-Fi assist is also off in the settings there. Have tried disabling AX and will see how that goes, CTS remains at 2347 as well.

Message 69 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 70 of 108
lof
Guide
Guide

Doing a little more digging, I've turned off one of the RBS units to see what performance is like with the RBR and the furthest RBS on only. I think the issue might be too many APs in the same area, despite them being over 30ft apart I noticed the dropouts on the 12 Pro Max were happening pretty much right inbetween the two RBS units when they were all turned on. Issue is that with just the 2 units, the backhaul status does show as "poor" although I still managed to Speedtest the connection at the furthest end at 300Mbps or so. 

Message 71 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you make a drawing of the lay out of your home and where the RBR and RBS are placed and give distances from the RBS to the RBR? 

Is the RBR running 100% on the power setting? 

Message 72 of 108
RNispiros
Aspirant

This udpated firmware busted my satellite.  After the update I could not for the life of me get my satellite to get or stay connected to the router.  I moved it closer to the router, then I hardwired them together, and they still would not sync/connect.  I factory reset the satillite and they did not work either.  I was using the web interface to do the update.  When that didn't work I tried using the iPhone app and that could not connect either.

In the web interface, I removed the satellite, which constantly appeared offline, then I tried to re-add it numerous times. This was one of the times I regret updating, when I should have left it alone. Obviously no success removing and re-adding the satillete.

Since I needed my internet to be back up before the next working day, I just pulled out the factory box, and put the Orbi in them to be returned the next day.  I put my older system in to get the internet running again.  Waste of time and $$ for sure, my bad to re-trusting Netgear.

On a side note - I didn't like how it was a single SSID for every band.  I used the guest network for a second SSID, but my firewall doesn't monitor this particular guest band since it's not technically going through the firewall and network.  I want to monitor everything through all bands.  Oh well, lessons learned.

Message 73 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck

Message 74 of 108
philoouu
Luminary

@FURRYe38 

You may remember my issue that was never fixed in 1 year  (Wired Backhaul Satellite Gust Network with no internet - DNS issue probably)

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/AX6000-RBK852-Wired-Backhaul-mode-Guest-Network-No-internet...

I got a mail from the support NG last week telling me that it was fixed and tested in v4.6.3.9 

I was wondering (when I read a few posts here with several issues) if I really should upgrade or not....  

Thanks for your help !

philoouu

Message 75 of 108
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7