Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI 963E And Which Satellite Acquires A Device

306Orbi
Star

ORBI 963E And Which Satellite Acquires A Device

I know this has been discussed before - but my purpose of this post is if someone has figured out a way to solve this problem in a ORBI 963E and Satellites System.

I have a ORBI 963E Router and 3 Satellites.

Have a Briggs and Stratton Generator in the backyard which is only about 8 feet away from my Bedroom Satellite.

And there is a satellite on the far end to the house about 70 feet away in the Gym and the Router which is also far and in the upstairs Attic.

I rebooted the router and most times the Generator grabs the Gym Satellite for connection and sometimes the Router but rarely the the closest one which is the Bedroom Satellite.

When it connects to the Bedroom Satellite it connects ta 2.4ghz 72mbps (strong) but when with the Gym it connects at sometimes 1 mbps (with no data shown) and when with the Router it connects around 35 mbps or so.

Why is the system so stubborn and not connect to the Bedroom Satellite and when every time I reboot it is a wild card where (which satellite of the router)  it will connect and mostly to the farthest satellite or the router.

Any way to fix it and get the generator to attach to the Bedroom Satellite every time?

If NETGEAR is watching this post they should consider a way to attach a device to a certain satellite or the router by toggling a button in the Orbi App just like you can turn the service to a device o and off.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI 963E And Which Satellite Acquires A Device

Because its upto devices to pick and choose where they connect too. Not Orbi. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Because its upto devices to pick and choose where they connect too. Not Orbi. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 5
306Orbi
Star

House is 8000 Square Feet.

The distance between router and each satellite is over 30 feet.

I will try the lower the RBR signals to 50% - then reboot the system and Report Back,

Thanks for helping.

Message 3 of 5
306Orbi
Star

I am Happy too report that after setting the RBR 2.4GHZ to 50%.... the Generator is now showing connected to The Closest Satellite (Bedroom Satellite) the link is showing at 57MBPS ... wish it was 72 🙂 

The connection bars for the generator are showing at two bars ... so not 3 bars which are max.

But the Generator Access point switched to this Satellite without rebooting the Router.. which is great news.

Now I will monitor if other devices are affected due to signal strength for 2.4GHZ being reduced to 50%...and report back if there are any issues.

Thanks for your help again.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7