Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi 850 Satellite Reboot with hardwired Backhaul

Dsteve
Tutor

Orbi 850 Satellite Reboot with hardwired Backhaul

Why do i have to discount my ethernet cables for the backhaul to get my satellites to reconnect to the orbi router?

This causes a major problem for my home network when i am away from home, as i am not physically there to remove the cables.

No satellites means some of my security cameras go down.

This seems like a major weakness with the Orbi system.

Only workaround i can up with it to put the satellites and the unmanged switch on zwave controlled plugs so i can trick the satellites into thinking that the ethernet cables have been removed. Turn the satellites back on and then lastly switch the unmanged switch backon.

But really should not have to do this!!!!

Thanks,

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi 850 Satellite Reboot with hardwired Backhaul

"Why do i have to discount my ethernet cables" What do you mean by Discount? Do you mean disconnect? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?
https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 📡

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Message 2 of 6
Dsteve
Tutor

Ooops yeah disconnect, got to love that auto-correct!!!

What Firmware version is currently loaded? 

V4.6.3.16

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Netgear CM1000 (mine not xfinity's)

5000Sqft

router on main floor, 1st satellite in basement and the 2nd satellite on 2nd floor, satellites are around 30 feet from router.

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

Netgear CM1000>>>>Dlink DSR250>>>Netgear GS116

Dlink DSR250>>>Orbi RBR850 (connected to WAN port) >>>netgear GS116 (hardwire backhaul)

Satellite 1 RBS850 >>>netgear GS116 (hardwire backhaul)

Satellite 2 RBS850>>>netgear GS116 (hardwire backhaul)

Hope that makes sense!!!

Just noticed basement Satellite has disconnected, not sure why. 😞

Thanks

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the RBR in router or AP mode. I see you have a router in front of the RBR. 

What happens if you disable 2.4Ghz AX mode on the RBR? 

Set CTS values to 2347 on the RBR. 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?

Message 4 of 6
Dsteve
Tutor

Ok both satellites discounted sometime in the last 12 hours, rebooted both satellites and still would not reconnect with the ethernet cables connected. Once the ethernet cables were disconnected the satellites would hookup and i was then able to reconnect the ethernet cables to get my backhaul back.

I had already rebooted everything on the network including the modem before this disconnect.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you powering OFF the switch as well for 10 seconds? 

Wondering if this switch or something in between could be causing problems. 

There a way to connect just one RBS directly to the RBR with out the switch to see if the RBS maintains connection? 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7