Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi AX units - questions before a purchase

Vinterbird
Star

Orbi AX units - questions before a purchase

Hi everyone.

I hope this is the right section of the forum to ask a few questions regarding the Orbi AX range of routers, since I haven't been able to find the answers myself.

- I currently have a Orbi AC setup in my home, will I be able to use my old satelite in a AX setup? Yes, it won't deliver the same speeds or provide a WiFi 6 signal to compatible devices, but will it integrate into a AX setup and expand the mesh network?

- From what I gather, the current Ourdoor Orbi model does not work in Orbi Mode with the Ax units. Have Netgear made any kind of official comment on that changing, or is it Extender Mode and nothing else if I want better WiFi in the backyard?

- My current Orbi set has severe issues with band steering, and some devices will spend a lot of the time bouncing between the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz spectrums, so they often disconnect and reconnect when bouncing between them. Does the AX models provide better band steering or options to help aliviate issues like that?

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

@Vinterbird wrote:

Hi everyone.

I hope this is the right section of the forum to ask a few questions regarding the Orbi AX range of routers, since I haven't been able to find the answers myself.

- I currently have a Orbi AC setup in my home, will I be able to use my old satelite in a AX setup? Yes, it won't deliver the same speeds or provide a WiFi 6 signal to compatible devices, but will it integrate into a AX setup and expand the mesh network? Yes, however the Orbi AC satellites are not wirelessly compatible with Orbi AX. You can however ethernet connect those satellites to Orbi AX and they will work in that configuration. 

- From what I gather, the current Ourdoor Orbi model does not work in Orbi Mode with the Ax units. Have Netgear made any kind of official comment on that changing, or is it Extender Mode and nothing else if I want better WiFi in the backyard? RBSY will work if you load Extender mode FW on to the RBSY first then connect it to Orbi AX. 

- My current Orbi set has severe issues with band steering, and some devices will spend a lot of the time bouncing between the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz spectrums, so they often disconnect and reconnect when bouncing between them. Does the AX models provide better band steering or options to help aliviate issues like that? Bandstearing is automatically handled by Orbi AX. It's up to devices to pick and choose where they connect too, not Orbi. You can help out some by placement and you can help some by lowering the power output of the RBR to help with some connection with devices with RBS. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

@Vinterbird wrote:

Hi everyone.

- I currently have a Orbi AC setup in my home, will I be able to use my old satelite in a AX setup? Yes, it won't deliver the same speeds or provide a WiFi 6 signal to compatible devices, but will it integrate into a AX setup and expand the mesh network? Yes, however the Orbi AC satellites are not wirelessly compatible with Orbi AX. You can however ethernet connect those satellites to Orbi AX and they will work in that configuration. 

- From what I gather, the current Ourdoor Orbi model does not work in Orbi Mode with the Ax units. Have Netgear made any kind of official comment on that changing, or is it Extender Mode and nothing else if I want better WiFi in the backyard? RBSY will work if you load Extender mode FW on to the RBSY first then connect it to Orbi AX. 

- My current Orbi set has severe issues with band steering, and some devices will spend a lot of the time bouncing between the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz spectrums, so they often disconnect and reconnect when bouncing between them. Does the AX models provide better band steering or options to help aliviate issues like that? Bandstearing is automatically handled by Orbi AX. It's up to devices to pick and choose where they connect too, not Orbi. You can help out some by placement and you can help some by lowering the power output of the RBR to help with some connection with devices with RBS. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7