Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AX4200; Slow Download, Fast Upload

JackaMo
Tutor

Orbi AX4200; Slow Download, Fast Upload

Hi,

I have a gigabit fiber connection through CenturyLink, and my wired connection hits those speeds. However, my 5ghz wifi download speeds seem to be capped between 180-250Mbps, but upload speeds are still 900+Mbps.

The Orbi is connected directly to the ONT with VLAN set to 201, but I previously used CenturyLink's provided router (Zyxel C3000Z). I don't believe this is router specific because I've had the same issue on 2 routers and multiple devices, and the results are the same--around 900Mbps on wired, but 180-250Mpbs on 5ghz wifi. Wired from an Orbi satellite to my desktop also has the same low download/high upload issue.

I've tried turning off access control, disabling WMM, IPv6 on/off, preamable mode short/long/auto, setting 5ghz channel at 36, 40, 44, 48, and trying each encryption option. 

Any thoughts? Let me know if you need more info. Thanks!

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
airh0ps77
Aspirant

Re: Orbi AX4200; Slow Download, Fast Upload

Hello,

Thanks for the response. I believe that I discovered the culprit: my Sony ST-HT5000 soundbar. The subwoofer connects to the sound bar wirelessly and it was connecting at the 5.8 GHz RF Band. After I switched that to 5.2 GHz, and tested devices connected to the satellite, I am getting between 600-700 mbps.

Unfortunately, because the router and soundbar are in the same room (about 10 feet apart), there is still some interference; speed results are between 300-400 mbps for devices connected to the router.

Not a perfect solution but is doable.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 16

All Replies
tigerlilly
Aspirant

Basically having the exact same problem. Just happened a few weeks ago.

Message 2 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 3 of 16
JackaMo
Tutor

Thank you for responding. My Orbi's firmware is V3.2.18.1_1.4.14. I do not have the Orbi connected to my modem/router, so I don't believe there would be a double NAT issue. The internet cable connects from the wall directly into the Orbi, and then I configured the Orbi settings page (Basic->Internet) to enter my PPPoE login/pw. 

The issue I'm having with only the Orbi connected is the same issue when using only CenturyLink's modem/router--wired connection is 1gbps up/down, but 5ghz wifi is 200mbps down/1gbps up. It seems there is some key setting or something simple that is limiting my wifi download speed but not the upload portion.

Any ideas? Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

WMM should be enabled always, however this would not effect a wired LAN cable speed test. You should see near same on the download as the upload if your ISP supports those speeds on the UP and Down. 

Does your ISP require PPPoE account info to connect to there ONT? 

Try a factory reset on the RBR. Leave OFF the RBS. Walk thru the set up wizard. Soon as the RBR is setup, try a wired speed test with 1 wired PC connected to the RBR. Nothing else connected. Use Ooklas installable speed test app. Try different test servers near by to compare...

Message 5 of 16
JackaMo
Tutor

I will leave WMM on, but turning it off/on did not impact performance. My wired speed is working correctly and both up/down speeds are roughly the same. The issue is with the download speed on wifi. I have factory reset with no affect on performance. Wifi download speeds stay around 200mbps with upload of around 900mbps.

Let me know if you can think of other options. Thanks!

Message 6 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Make contact with @Christian_R and ask for access to the new beta thats now running about. See if this helps. If not, If your sure the wifi is the problem accross multiple devices, i'd contact NG support and ask about an RMA. 

Message 7 of 16
JackaMo
Tutor

Will do, thanks! However, this exact problem exists when using my ISP's modem/router, so I don't think it's Orbi-specific 😞

Message 8 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Well I did give options as well if your modem has a router and wifi...

Message 9 of 16
JackaMo
Tutor

Yes. Just to clarify, aren't those 3 options only for two routers (so in my situation running the Orbi through the Zyxel C300z)? When using just the Zyxel modem/router or using just the Orbi, the issue with wireless download speeds exist. If using only the Zyxel and not the Orbi, are there any recommended solutions?

Message 10 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

IF you use the Zyxel in front of the orbi as your host router, options #2 and #3 can be used with that unit. 

Message 11 of 16
airh0ps77
Aspirant

I am having this same issue. I just picked this up 2 days ago to replace a Linksys Velop, because the connection in my back home office was terrible; under 100 Mbps; I have Gigabit Internet from Xfinity. Devices connecting to the AX4200 satellite are averaging above 700 Mbps. And any wired devices to the main router are consistently over 900. I am sitting in the same room with the main router and the average wireless speeds (for iOS devices, Windows laptop) are under 25 Mbps.

Not certain what to do at this point, I would hate to return it and reconnect my Linksys, but I would think that this system, with its rave reviews, would be a bit more stabled and better.

Message 12 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure when you move to either the RBR or RBS that you disable the wifi radios on the mobile devices then back ON before speed testing. Sometimes mobile deivices will keep the connection to the farther signal thus giving slower speed test results until you force the device to disconnect from the signal then re-connect. Some devices will not roam well to other stronger signals. It's up to devices to pick and choose where they connect.

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

@airh0ps77 wrote:

I am having this same issue. I just picked this up 2 days ago to replace a Linksys Velop, because the connection in my back home office was terrible; under 100 Mbps; I have Gigabit Internet from Xfinity. Devices connecting to the AX4200 satellite are averaging above 700 Mbps. And any wired devices to the main router are consistently over 900. I am sitting in the same room with the main router and the average wireless speeds (for iOS devices, Windows laptop) are under 25 Mbps.

Not certain what to do at this point, I would hate to return it and reconnect my Linksys, but I would think that this system, with its rave reviews, would be a bit more stabled and better.

Message 13 of 16
airh0ps77
Aspirant

Hello,

Thanks for the response. I believe that I discovered the culprit: my Sony ST-HT5000 soundbar. The subwoofer connects to the sound bar wirelessly and it was connecting at the 5.8 GHz RF Band. After I switched that to 5.2 GHz, and tested devices connected to the satellite, I am getting between 600-700 mbps.

Unfortunately, because the router and soundbar are in the same room (about 10 feet apart), there is still some interference; speed results are between 300-400 mbps for devices connected to the router.

Not a perfect solution but is doable.

Message 14 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah yes. Ok that makes sense. Glad you figured it out. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 
Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 16
codynet
Aspirant

Having the exact same issue with my RBR750 wifi + CenturyLink fiber connection. It was an exciting lead, but unfortunately unplugging my subwoofer did not help. Just wanted to check and see if you had any additional findings since your last post.

Here's my post: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/RBR750-WIFI-fast-upload-but-slow-dow...

Thanks!

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7