Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Firmware v3.2.10.11 seen on your RBRs FW update check page?

DoctorA
Luminary

Re: Orbi Firmware v3.2.10.11 seen on your RBRs FW update check page?

We need to see what changes were made in release notes to make sure they are working fine. Does anyone have the notes?

Message 76 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the issue where the Orbi app was not able to display the guest client’s link rate if the Orbi was operating in AP mode.
  • Fixes the 2.4 GHz in HT40 only mode issue.
  • Fixes the issue where the router needed to be rebooted in order to change the Internet connection type from DHCP to Static IP.
  • Fixes some security issues
Message 77 of 126
cruisencode
Apprentice

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the issue where the Orbi app was not able to display the guest client’s link rate if the Orbi was operating in AP mode.
  • Fixes the 2.4 GHz in HT40 only mode issue.
  • Fixes the issue where the router needed to be rebooted in order to change the Internet connection type from DHCP to Static IP.
  • Fixes some security issues
  • Broke connectivity for many users
Message 78 of 126
computim
Luminary

@cruisencode Exactly!  

Message 79 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

For those users having problems after v10.11 was applied on your system, downgrade to v3.1 by using this process:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBR850-Frequent-Disconnects-Starting-March-9th-AM-EST/m-p/1...

This should get your system stable again in router mode and keep from updating to anything else on the RBR. The RBS will be fine if it's updated. 

Message 80 of 126
computim
Luminary

Following up till we hear from NG engineering who as all but gone silent during this process.  I've provided a number of screen shots and uploaded debug logs for their consumption.  They did not provide any guidance to stabalize the router and the frequesnt disconnects.  They only stated that the firmware that caused the issue has been removed.  I provided my experienece with downgrading and informed the NG team that the issue persisted all they was through the listed firmwares available.  3.1.5.23 isn't happening as often but it is still happening as captured on my logs and submitted to NG support.  I've inquired on updates from Saturday 3/14 and I have not had an update.  I'll share as soon as I've heard back from the NG engineering teams.  I can confirm that I bought a new Orbi AX system and ensured via telnet that it would not auto update.  The disconnects have stopped completely on the new Orbi AX.  This leads me to believe they've done something in the new firmware release (now pulled) that changed something that has not been addressed in other firmwares.  This would explain how the other downgrades that were functioning properly are now having issues.  Stay tuned!

Message 81 of 126
warpdag
Apprentice

It's amazing to me that Netgear is litterally begging for a class action lawsuit with this router...

Message 82 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

NG is working on it. Any new FW maybe delayed due to the CD19 mania thats running around so don't be surprised by how much longer this may last. Lots of people working from home now. Users need to be patient please. 

Users can downgrade to v3.1 while you wait for NG next update if your having problems:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBR850-Frequent-Disconnects-Starting-March-9th-AM-EST/m-p/1...

Message 83 of 126
cruisencode
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

NG is working on it. Any new FW maybe delayed due to the CD19 mania thats running around so don't be surprised by how much longer this may last. Lots of people working from home now. Users need to be patient please. 

Users can downgrade to v3.1 while you wait for NG next update if your having problems:

This is no excuse for NG not providing any communication around this issue.  Sorry, but you need to stop defending them.  If you were in our shoes, your tune would be different.

Message 84 of 126
computim
Luminary

While I can sympathize on your comment Furry I don't align with the patience piece.  Many impacted users are dealing with the terrible decision NG made to push out a busted firmware.  The customer base that is also being impacted by the Covid 19 situation with WAH, Self Quaratine, Kids out of school, Attempting to research or stay connected to loved one abroad.  In the world of connectivity it's NG's responsibility to resolve and keep the communicty informed.  This is not a time to give NG a pass on the lack of transparancy and professionalism they've exibited throughout this outage.  I for one have accountability that requires a solid connection.  I have contigency plans due to the nature of my business.  However, for others that do not or are not as tech savy are suffering through.  10 days without a word from NG is not what I would call working on it.

Tim

Message 85 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

I'm not defending them. Trying to help users get there systems back up and running in mean time. There is a working solution. Use it. 

Router mfrs don't communicate anything when it comes to FW and there development and release. Good Luck in getting that from any router mfr. Just because I and others are NOT having problems doesn't mean we don't care either. 

If your so upset, make contact with NG support or return the system and find something else. Nothing else anyone here in the forums can do. This has to be handled by NG. 

In mean time, users will have to wait. We all do hope a fix comes soon. 

Good Luck. 

Message 86 of 126
computim
Luminary

Furry - You say there is a working fix?  I've attempted all as have many others and the fix does not fully resolve.  The issue still persists as indicated in my logs to engineering.  They have confirmed that that last firmware pushed caused an issue that downgrading will not address.  Just becasue you are not experiencing doesn't mean other are having a good experience.  Everyone appreicates the attempts to resolve and the shared information.  However, if the fix was so simple why hasn't NG pushed a new firmware.  This is not about you this is about a community of impacted customers.  NG really needs to provide the resolution here.

Tim

Message 87 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Well these are crazy times and just happens that all of this has come at bad time. 

Patience is premimum. I Get it. Trust me. However some users don't understand how coding and development work and all that goes into it. There are many levels to all this. Just can't willy nilly put something in and make it work. Doesn't work like that. 

Mfrs have always been non communicative when it comes to FW updates and times frames. Some even critical. Happens accross the board. I would love to see more communications from router Mfrs. Would help belay concerns when issues arise. I get that. However on the other hand it can set a bad presidence for users and expectations that router mfrs don't want to have to deal with. So these are only a few reason why that some router mfrs don't say anything. There are legal aspects aswell. 

At least when they tell you they are working on it, then let them work on it. Don't rush them and lets them them get it fixed. For now we have a working solution to get users systems back to stable. Users overly complaining and running this off the rails does nothing to help or get the problem fixed. We all know there is problem. So does NG. Its in there hands. 

If you think this is the first time for any router mfr bad FW to appear on users system, think again. Not the first time and probably won't be the last. We are human. FW is based on the human condition. 

@computim wrote:

While I can sympathize on your comment Furry I don't align with the patience piece.  Many impacted users are dealing with the terrible decision NG made to push out a busted firmware.  The customer base that is also being impacted by the Covid 19 situation with WAH, Self Quaratine, Kids out of school, Attempting to research or stay connected to loved one abroad.  In the world of connectivity it's NG's responsibility to resolve and keep the communicty informed.  This is not a time to give NG a pass on the lack of transparancy and professionalism they've exibited throughout this outage.  I for one have accountability that requires a solid connection.  I have contigency plans due to the nature of my business.  However, for others that do not or are not as tech savy are suffering through.  10 days without a word from NG is not what I would call working on it.

Tim

Message 88 of 126
cruisencode
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I'm not defending them. Trying to help users get there systems back up and running in mean time. There is a working solution. Use it. 

Router mfrs don't communicate anything when it comes to FW and there development and release. Good Luck in getting that from any router mfr. Just because I and others are NOT having problems doesn't mean we don't care either. 

If your so upset, make contact with NG support or return the system and find something else. Nothing else anyone here in the forums can do. This has to be handled by NG. 

Good Luck. 

All I am saying is that a lack of communication around a botched firmware that is causing major issues for many people at the worst possible time is simply unacceptable.  Providing simple status updates to us is all we're asking.

Oh, and I have already contacted NG support, contacted the guy on this forum that did nothing and provided no information, and have installed the 3.1 firmware (and even managed to block the auto upgrades).  I did all of this despite the lack of communication from NG.  It sure would have been nice to have NG actually give us a working solution instead.

In the meantime, enjoy your working router and please understand where the rest of us unlucky ones are coming from.

Message 89 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

This is the only work around currently that others are posting that is helping there systems get back to stable state:

@computim wrote:

Furry - You say there is a working fix?  I've attempted all as have many others and the fix does not fully resolve.  The issue still persists as indicated in my logs to engineering.  They have confirmed that that last firmware pushed caused an issue that downgrading will not address.  Just becasue you are not experiencing doesn't mean other are having a good experience.  Everyone appreicates the attempts to resolve and the shared information.  However, if the fix was so simple why hasn't NG pushed a new firmware.  This is not about you this is about a community of impacted customers.  NG really needs to provide the resolution here.

Tim

Message 90 of 126
warpdag
Apprentice

Most of us are working from home *because* of covid-19. They should be working double shift to fix the issues for their customers who are stranded at home. Their development teams have been subcontracted to China and/or India long ago, those countries, especially China, have been dealing with covid-19 for months, that didn't prevent them from releasing a new (and botched) firmware last week.

Sorry for the rant, but victim card denied.

Message 91 of 126
cruisencode
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Well these are crazy times and just happens that all of this has come at bad time. 

Patience is premimum. I Get it. Trust me. However some users don't understand how coding and development work and all that goes into it. There are many levels to all this. Just can't willy nilly put something in and make it work. Doesn't work like that. 

Mfrs have always been non communicative when it comes to FW updates and times frames. Some even critical. Happens accross the board. I would love to see more communications from router Mfrs. Would help belay concerns when issues arise. I get that. However on the other hand it can set a bad presidence for users and expectations that router mfrs don't want to have to deal with. So these are only a few reason why that some router mfrs don't say anything. There are legal aspects aswell. 

At least when they tell you they are working on it, then let them work on it. Don't rush them and lets them them get it fixed. For now we have a working solution to get users systems back to stable. Users overly complaining and running this off the rails does nothing to help or get the problem fixed. We all know there is problem. So does NG. Its in there hands. 

If you think this is the first time for any router mfr bad FW to appear on users system, think again. Not the first time and probably won't be the last. We are human. FW is based on the human condition. 

Hopefully you're not counting me in the "some users don't understand how coding and development work" because I can assure you I do.  This is my profession and my livelyhood depends on connectivity, now especially.

Oh, and I have yet to see NG publicly mention that they are working on it.  So yeah, I am out of patience with NG.

Sorry for the rant, but your $700 router is working, so no you dont get it.

Message 92 of 126
computim
Luminary

I can confirm that the blocking the upgrade path only prevents the upgrade.. However, the lower firmwares do not address the issue that was created due to the last firmware update that created the issue.  This has been confirmed with the NG engineering team and that is why they have not recommended as a fix.  

Message 93 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

@cruisencode I totally understand. Trust me, I get and and understand everyones concern and feelings. I have had my feelings up and down since I got Orbi as well. How would you feel if you couldn't use the Orbi AX in router mode since you first bought it as it caused BAD NAT status on your game consoles. I've been dealing with this since day ONE and could only use it in AP mode up until v10.11 arrived. I'm with you on how it feels man. 

Been working in forums for quite a while know so i've seen many things, including repeated bad FW releases. I do wish there was more communication. I've been asking as well on everyones behalf. Even submitted a bug report first day as well.  I also don't want to push too much as, again, NG is aware of this and during this crap time frame with the CD19 mania running around and it's impacting business as usual, I dont' wanna push where pushing isn't needed or desired. Pushing too much right now isn't going to yield anything. There are some legalities that probably prevents NG from communicating as well. They know about. Lets let them figure this out. I'm here to help users as best as I can to get back to stable. Thanking other users for there help in this is important as well. 

All we can do is be patient and try the work around solutions to get your systems back to stable for now. For those that have the ability to return there systems, this you'll need to consider. 

@cruisencode wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Good Luck. 

All I am saying is that a lack of communication around a botched firmware that is causing major issues for many people at the worst possible time is simply unacceptable.  Providing simple status updates to us is all we're asking.

Oh, and I have already contacted NG support, contacted the guy on this forum that did nothing and provided no information, and have installed the 3.1 firmware (and even managed to block the auto upgrades).  I did all of this despite the lack of communication from NG.  It sure would have been nice to have NG actually give us a working solution instead.

In the meantime, enjoy your working router and please understand where the rest of us unlucky ones are coming from.

Message 94 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Its not a fix, its a work around. It's helping those to get there systems back to more stable state. 

@computim wrote:

I can confirm that the blocking the upgrade path only prevents the upgrade.. However, the lower firmwares do not address the issue that was created due to the last firmware update that created the issue.  This has been confirmed with the NG engineering team and that is why they have not recommended as a fix.  

Message 95 of 126
computim
Luminary

@FURRYe38 I agree on the FW portion.  I've been around firmware solutions for a long time.  It's not a magical process as it's very complicated with the latest tech being combined and such.  No one is faulting anyone for trying to attempt and help.  Many of the comments are aimed squarely at NG. This isn't the first time they've botched the software or bricked a router.  I can attest as I've had 5 NG engineers fly to my house and work for 3 days with their lab equipment.  What impressed me the most was the response.  They communicated, they were in contact, provided transparency, and ultimately decided they couldn't replicate the issue in their lab.  They flew to my house and found the issue and ultimately, made a new product because the old one could not be fixed with software.  That entire process took less than 6 days.  We are on day 10 here with no communications.  My LVL 3 engineering ticket has not been updated from 3/14 and the question has to be asked.. Why?  Again, also meand communicating in my book.  Thank you for you active community engagement.  Together we are a voice and we should leverage that voice to ensure companies like NG align and support their product appropriately.

Make it a Healthy day!  

Tim

Message 96 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Just have to be patient for now. It's in NG hands. 

Lets be healthy and be safe. 

Message 97 of 126
computim
Luminary

I believe patience for many have run its course and are no longer in abundance.

Indeed be safe.  

Message 98 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

I agree. 

Smiley Wink

Message 99 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Just in:

"We currently have a few users/customers who are assisting with debugging the issue with our engineering team. At this time, we do not have further details or an ETA on a fix." 

They are working on it. 

Thats all for now. Smiley Indifferent

Message 100 of 126
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7