Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK852 4.6.3.16 broken (Solved)

Ryan4332
Aspirant

Orbi RBK852 4.6.3.16 broken (Solved)

This topic is only for the Netgear Orbi RBK852 / RBK853 / RBK854 / RBR850

Introduction:

I bought my Netgear Orbi RBK852 last year. It's work fine and I am happy with that until they release 4.6.3.16 firmware and my router automatically updated on it. Wifi ,Internet keep dropping. DNS server can't be reached, DNS found the domain but the internet didn't work and can't reach the website. I spend about 2 months try to fix this problem and neraly made me crazy. I resetting and restarting the router so many times. Downgrading my firmware to 4.6.3.9 but it just automatically updating to 4.6.3.16 and the problem just happen again. Calling the netgear customer support and they just let do many setting changes. Calling the ISP checking the network modem. Bring the router to the repair center and they said there are no problem on the hardware but they also gave me a new one for replace. But none of them solving my problem. Until today, I call the customer support and they gave me a new firmware (4.6.5.14) of the Router (RBR850). 

My problem finally solved. Below are the step how I made everthing running smooth again.

Intsalling new firmware:

Step 1: Please download the firmware RBR Firmware 4.6.5.14 (This link and the firmware is providing by the netgear customer service and 100% safe. If you still didn't belive on these you can just leave)

Step 2: Unzip or just pull out the RBR850-V4.6.5.14_2.0.54T4-signed-11041358.chk file out and remember the path where you extract, we need that extracted file later

Step 2: Head into the https://orbilogin.com/

Step 3: Login to your router.

Step 4: You will able to see BASIC and ADVANCED tab, click on the ADVANCED

Step 5: On the sidebar choose Administration

Step 5: You will see a drop down list. Choose Firmware Update

Step 6: In the Firmware Update tab you will see Online Update and Manual Update

Step 7: You will see a tiny words (To update Orbi router, locate and select the update file on your disk.)

Step 8: Click on the Browse icon and find the .chk file you just extracted and press Open

Step 9: After you choose the file simply just click on the Upload icon. The router will immediately starting the update. But this is not the end after you sucessfully update back to this guide please

Step 10: Login to the https://orbilogin.com/ again.

Step 11: Backup all the setting using your way. We need to resetting the router.

ATTENTION : Don't using the Backup Setting to back up your configuration. In my case, restoring the router using the back up file from you router will let the disconnect problem happening again. 

Step 12: Using the hard reset method on the router. Find something that thinner than the resetting hole on your router and pushing the button in the resetting hole about 10-15 seconds and the router will start resetting (Make sure your router turned on the router).

Step 13: Restoring and applying the setting you just backup by your way.

Step 14: Enjoy!

Q&A:

Q: Is the firmware file and link safe?

A: 100% safe

Q: Why there are no firmware for Satellite? 

A: I don't know. The customer service said that there are only a new firmware for the router only

Q: How can I know this problem is the firmware problem but not my other device or hardware error

A: I am asking ISP to check my network and they told me that the network didn't having any problem. Changing another router(TPlink Deco M9 Plus) is able to solve the issue. Netgear repair center said that there are no problem on the hardware and brought me a new one but the issue still going on. At last, I focus on the firmware. When the wifi and internet disconnecting. I am not able to login to my router and pinging the router will having packet loss.

Q: There are some other on xxx steps. Can I just do it on my way?

A: Of course you can do it on your way. The router is belonging to you. But don't ask me why the router still getting problem adngot some other probem after all.

Q: Will this guide 100% solve the issue?

A: I can't really sure about that. But just have a try if you still didn't get any useful information or way to solve the issue that I describe

Q: Will that firmware (4.6.5.14) borke my router / letting other feature being broke

A: I can't 100% sure on that. I still didn't test on the VLAN, Block Sites, Block Service, AP Mode and IPV6, Speed Test. But these firmware actually fixing the issue that I met. I am happy with that now. But I can sure that router mode, port forwading, internet speed, stability, Address Reservation is 100% working.

Message 1 of 58

Accepted Solutions
FarmerBob1
Luminary

Especially with Netgear, always do a "Pin Hole Reset" after a "New Version Update" and input the operational information by hand. NEVER use a Backup File. Especially across different versions.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 58

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you

Message 2 of 58
ChrisBoer
Guide

I got V4.6.6.11_2.1.4T1  from the customer desk for RBK850 and this also works perfectly for 3 days now.

I also heared they are working on an new generic firmware version which would also be ready within weeks.

Message 3 of 58
Rads
Tutor

That isn't my experience with V4.6.6.11_2.1.4T1,  System is still tragically unreliable.  With this firmware my router appearsto be doing a soft reset several times a day and WiFi still drops several times daily.

Glad (envious) that it seems to be working for you.

@ChrisBoer wrote:

I got V4.6.6.11_2.1.4T1  from the customer desk for RBK850 and this also works perfectly for 3 days now.

I also heared they are working on an new generic firmware version which would also be ready within weeks.

Message 4 of 58
Ryan4332
Aspirant

Um. I think you need to do the hard reset after the firmware update. Use that pin hole to reset your router. I don't really know is there any difference between the soft reset or hard reset. But hard reset work on me. So try to hard reset after you install firmware
Message 5 of 58
Rads
Tutor

Yes, of course.
Message 6 of 58
FarmerBob1
Luminary

Especially with Netgear, always do a "Pin Hole Reset" after a "New Version Update" and input the operational information by hand. NEVER use a Backup File. Especially across different versions.
Message 7 of 58
Ryan4332
Aspirant

If you still having warranty. Just bring the router to the repair center. In your case, the issue maybe not  caused by the firmware. Maybe there are some hardware failure

Message 8 of 58
Rads
Tutor

I am.not. And there was nothing wrong with the system.ubtil the last firmware update.
Message 9 of 58
tjtrimble
Luminary

Good to hear new firmware is out there and appears to be working....hopefully Netgear will release to the public soon.

Message 10 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

I loaded the unpublished version on mine yesterday. Factory reset and setup from scratch using the RBR web page. 850 in router mode. RBS ethernet connecte to the RBR via LAN switches. RBS still on v4.3.16. All is still up and running since yesterday. I downloaded two large PC games to my gaming PC yesterday. NO crashes on the RBR. WIll check to see if my 3rd gen NEST gets a low battery. 

Using manual channels 1 and 40.

40Mhz only enabled.

CTS left at 64

DHCP pool set to .100 to .150

No Armor or SPC enabled. 

CAX80 Cable modem in modem mode only on it's 2.5Gb WAN Port. 

Message 11 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset the RBR using the ERASE function on the web page and setup from scratch?

@Rads wrote:

That isn't my experience with V4.6.6.11_2.1.4T1,  System is still tragically unreliable.  With this firmware my router appearsto be doing a soft reset several times a day and WiFi still drops several times daily.

Glad (envious) that it seems to be working for you.

Message 12 of 58
ChrisBoer
Guide

Got wifi disconnects last night and this morning... so again an issue will try the other firmware in this post.

Message 13 of 58
ChrisBoer
Guide

Good news the drops where not due to Orbi but the computer Wifi adapter I now have found out.

I have done a very simple test setup a ping -t hostname-ip  to see when a drop occured and if it was with all devices or not. So when a drop occured it was only on the PC, other devices where still pingable.

So anyone interested in firmware please let me know.

routerfirmware.png

Message 14 of 58
tjtrimble
Luminary

@ChrisBoer wrote:

Good news the drops where not due to Orbi but the computer Wifi adapter I now have found out.

Just out of curiousity, what Wifi adpapter do you have?  I have noticed my drops on two seperate HP laptops both have an Intel AX201 wifi card.   I haven't noticed any drops on my iphones.

Message 15 of 58
ChrisBoer
Guide

ASUS 2,4Ghz/5Ghz PCI card, I have updated the drivers no issues since.

So no more wifi drops also I have not reset my RB850 either.

So updated both the sattelites and the router.

Message 16 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

Going on 9 days here:

Basic Information

Firmware Version: V4.6.5.14_2.0.54T4

seal: v2.0.25-0

CPU Load: 9.71%

Memory Usage(Used/Total): 331 MB/874 MB

System Uptime: 8 days 23:55:25

Message 17 of 58
NGSvensk
Apprentice

I updated to V4.6.6.11 and did not do a factory reset and so far so good!

Message 18 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume you got this from NG support? 

How long has the system been running with it loaded? 

@NGSvensk wrote:

I updated to V4.6.6.11 and did not do a factory reset and so far so good!

Message 19 of 58
NGSvensk
Apprentice

It has been up for under 1 hour. Upgrade went smooth.. RBS first and then RBR

Message 20 of 58
ChrisBoer
Guide

Yes he got it from me and I got it from NetGear Customer support.

Message 21 of 58
NGSvensk
Apprentice

Update - Lost internet access on 5G on the RBS.  Took quite a while but after some tweaking and rebooting it is back.

Message 22 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset and setup from scratch on both RBR and RBS after loading the FW?

Something I did with my RBR after getting v4.6.5.14 from @ChrisBoer 

Mines been online for 10 days now:

Basic Information
Firmware Version: V4.6.5.14_2.0.54T4

seal: v2.0.25-0

CPU Load: 9.74%

Memory Usage(Used/Total): 331 MB/874 MB

System Uptime: 10 days 02:51:01

@NGSvensk wrote:

Update - Lost internet access on 5G on the RBS.  Took quite a while but after some tweaking and rebooting it is back.

Message 23 of 58
NGSvensk
Apprentice

I did not do a factory reset but will likely do it on the weekend.

Message 24 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

I would. Let us know. 

Message 25 of 58
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 57 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7