Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

[Orbi RBK852] Throttling Wi-Fi speed for individual devices

clifflau1120
Aspirant

[Orbi RBK852] Throttling Wi-Fi speed for individual devices

The throttling happens a few minutes after I start watching video streamings, torrenting, web scraping, etc.

The drag in Wi-Fi speed only happens on the device who initiates high-bandwidth activities, and the Wi-Fi signal sometimes even drops.

When one device throttles, the other devices do not seem to be affected.

The peak download speed is almost 15MB/s, but it just throttles afterwards...

I have had this issue since I purchased Orbi.

I have read some posts, but none of them applies to my situation.

I also found that many options mentioned in the community are missing from my router, not sure if newer firmware do not offer those anymore...

Thank you all in advance!

Screenshot 2021-10-22 at 01-02-50 NETGEAR Router Orbi.png

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: [Orbi RBK852] Throttling Wi-Fi speed for individual devices

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Is Armor or Smart Parental Controls enabled? 

Set CTS to 2347. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 8
clifflau1120
Aspirant

I have attached a photo with all these details, but I'm not sure why it does not show up.

The firmware version is V4.6.3.16_2.0.51.

There is no specific information printed on my modem, but it is just a regular modem without wireless capabilities.

The throttling does not happen when I directly connect my PC to the modem, so I'm pretty sure Orbi is the root cause.

The distance between the router and the satellite is exactly about 30 feets, with a door blocking in between.

I did perform a detailed Wi-Fi scan so that I could select a channel that no one is using, but that did not help.

Also disabled Armor and Parental Control for sure, CTS had no effect as well, no collisions are shown in the logs.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch.
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.

Please do not post information showing MAC addresses or router serial numbers in public forums. 

Message 4 of 8
clifflau1120
Aspirant

Had a factory reset just now, but it is the same

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

See if anything that I configured on mine will help you out. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-Online-Update-4-6-3-16-RBR850-RB...

Message 6 of 8
clifflau1120
Aspirant

No luck, such a weird behavior...

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7