Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK853 - Appropriate?

Jarvo
Follower

Orbi RBK853 - Appropriate?

Hi All

I've recently upgraded my home broadband to 1Gbps Down/100 Mbps Up.  My current BT Whole Home Wifi Mesh really isn't up to scratch in terms of speed or coverage. 

I've been considering the Orbi RBK853.  However I've got a couple of questions. 

I'd need to run it in Bridge Mode, as I'm really impressed with the capabilities of the Firewalla Gold - Router/Firewall.

The property I'm looking to cover is circa 1500 Sq Ft for th house, and almost the same for the garden and outbuildings.  But the house has 3 storeys, with the main router being located in the centre of the ground floor.  It's a new build property, so no big solid walls! 

Q1. I realise it's subjective, but do you anticipate that I would need the main device and one satellite, or two? 

Q2. How well does the mesh handle devices moving between them? For example, I take lots of calls over WiFi Calling, and wander around the house.  Prior to changing to my current mesh, I had problems where the calls would get dropped between nodes of the mesh. Keen for that not to happen again! 

Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK853 - Appropriate?

Please post about this over in the Orbi AX forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

For that size of phone, the RBR would be sufficient by itself. 1 RBS in addition max. 

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

WiFi Roaming is automatic and it's up to the wifi device to pick and choose where they connect too. 

Thank you. 

Message 2 of 3
Mstrbig
Master

Re: Orbi RBK853 - Appropriate?

@Jarvo wrote:

Hi All

I've recently upgraded my home broadband to 1Gbps Down/100 Mbps Up.  My current BT Whole Home Wifi Mesh really isn't up to scratch in terms of speed or coverage. 

I've been considering the Orbi RBK853.  However I've got a couple of questions. 

I'd need to run it in Bridge Mode, as I'm really impressed with the capabilities of the Firewalla Gold - Router/Firewall.

The property I'm looking to cover is circa 1500 Sq Ft for th house, and almost the same for the garden and outbuildings.  But the house has 3 storeys, with the main router being located in the centre of the ground floor.  It's a new build property, so no big solid walls! 

Q1. I realise it's subjective, but do you anticipate that I would need the main device and one satellite, or two? 

Q2. How well does the mesh handle devices moving between them? For example, I take lots of calls over WiFi Calling, and wander around the house.  Prior to changing to my current mesh, I had problems where the calls would get dropped between nodes of the mesh. Keen for that not to happen again! 

Thanks in advance. 

A1. Being 3 stories, you may want the router ground floor, 1 satellite top or middle floor, 1 satellite remote building. 

The RBK853 may be overkill. If you want the AX model, I have the RBK753 and it covers a 2 story large home and out building with no issues. Full WIFI throughout the home, out building, pool area and yard. It is a little less powerful than the RBK850, but also less money.

A2. There are 4 cellphones being used in the home, walking, talking, going outside, etc., and I've never experience any issues. To add to that, I'll be watching a movie or series on TV and will cast it to my phone, to go to another room and cast it to a TV seamlessly. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7