Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR750 4.6.5.14 firmware seemed to have affected connection over VPN

TKLee
Tutor

Orbi RBR750 4.6.5.14 firmware seemed to have affected connection over VPN

Anyone running into this issue? After the Orbi RBR750 4.6.5.14 firmware update, I can no longer connect to VPN. I'm running Windows 10 with a VPN connection setup over L2TP/IPsec with pre-shared key. It was working with the previous firmware and I updated to 4.6.5.14 over the weekend which seemed to have broken my ability to connect. I've doubled checked that parental controls aren't blocking VPN and even tried disabling parental controls all together but the VPN still isn't working. If I connect my PC to a mobile Hot Spot, VPN works fine.

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
TKLee
Tutor

Re: Orbi RBR750 4.6.5.14 firmware seemed to have affected connection over VPN

So I'm posting this in case it may help someone else. I contacted support and they recommended I try to reserve an address for my system under the LAN tab. Then set that reserved IP as DMZ server to open all ports to verify if the VPN issue had to do with ports. If it was an issue with ports, I would just need to setup port forwarding for the VPN. So I went ahead and gave it a try.

So this was really strange. Before I performed the steps to reserve IP and set as DMZ Server, I tested both my desktop and laptop and Windows VPN was not working. Then I reserved the IP for my laptop, set it as the DMZ server, then tried the VPN. At that point, it started working, great!! Then, I removed the DMZ server setting since I figured I need determine what ports need to be forwarded and set port forwarding up. But before I tried that, I tested the VPN again just for kicks. Low and behold, it was still working without the DMZ setting. Then I tried my desktop which has no IP reservation, was never set as DMZ,  and was not working before and now, even the desktop is working with VPN. This was a very strange fix since I had even already factory reset the Orbi which didn’t fix the issue. Must be a software bug in there somewhere? Either way, seems to be working for me for now. Hope this may help someone else out.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 16

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version has been working before?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?

Message 2 of 16
TKLee
Tutor

I believe the previous firmware was 4.6.3.7. I don't have a modem from my ISP. I have Frontier FIOS fiber and it connects directly from the ONT into the Orbi RBR750 via Cat6. Note, I have a different PC using a VPN over Cisco's Global Connect client and that works fine. It's just the VPN connection using windows built-in VPN that has a connection issue.

I've powered off multiple times since the firmware update since it gave me issues with one of the satellites at first. That issue was resolved by re-syncing the sattelite. Then today, I noticed the VPN connection issue.

Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like a problem at the Windows VPN level and this FW. IF the othere PC and the Cisco VPN is working currently, not sure what would cause the Windows VPN not to work. 

Is Armor or Smart Parental Controls enabled? 

Other other thing to try would be to factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch with out any additional featuers enabled and test the Windows VPN and see...

Message 4 of 16
TKLee
Tutor

I had Armor and Parental controls on. I had previously tried disabling parental controls only which didn't work.  Now, I tried disabling both Armor and Parental controls and still a no go sadly. 

I think you're right about the Windows VPN and this FW. I have my desktop setup prior with the same VPN that also is no longer working when connected to home internet. Mobile Hot Spot works fine. I thought about the factory reset but that is a real pain to do. Too many parental controls rules setup. I guess I could backup my config, reset, and test to see if it fixes it. Then restore my configs at some point. This will have to wait till after work hours. I was just hoping someone ran into this issue already and had a fix. Thanks!

Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

If you had Armor and SPC enabled, lets try a full factory reset on the RBR, turn OFF the RBS for now. You can use the ERASE fuction on the RBS web page to reset the RBR then set up from scratch. Just don't enable Armor or SPC this time. Then test Windows VPN...

Message 6 of 16
TKLee
Tutor

Okay. Did a full factory reset. After reset, Armor was automatically installed so I disabled it immediately. I also did not install Parental controls so the router was in a new state. Attempted to connect from laptop to VPN and it was a no go. Tried VPN from desktop and it was also a no go. Connected both systems to mobile Hot Spot and it works fine. It definitely seems like this new firmeware has a problem working with Windows VPN client. Since this factory reset did nothing, I've restored my config, re-enabled Armor and re-setup Parental Controls. Very frustrating to have to connect to Mobile in order to connect through Windows VPN.

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you get in contact with NG support and let them know what your seeing with v14 FW and the differences of prior working FW. 

@Blanca_O 

Message 8 of 16
TKLee
Tutor

Thanks! I’ll do that.
Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 10 of 16
TKLee
Tutor

So I'm posting this in case it may help someone else. I contacted support and they recommended I try to reserve an address for my system under the LAN tab. Then set that reserved IP as DMZ server to open all ports to verify if the VPN issue had to do with ports. If it was an issue with ports, I would just need to setup port forwarding for the VPN. So I went ahead and gave it a try.

So this was really strange. Before I performed the steps to reserve IP and set as DMZ Server, I tested both my desktop and laptop and Windows VPN was not working. Then I reserved the IP for my laptop, set it as the DMZ server, then tried the VPN. At that point, it started working, great!! Then, I removed the DMZ server setting since I figured I need determine what ports need to be forwarded and set port forwarding up. But before I tried that, I tested the VPN again just for kicks. Low and behold, it was still working without the DMZ setting. Then I tried my desktop which has no IP reservation, was never set as DMZ,  and was not working before and now, even the desktop is working with VPN. This was a very strange fix since I had even already factory reset the Orbi which didn’t fix the issue. Must be a software bug in there somewhere? Either way, seems to be working for me for now. Hope this may help someone else out.

Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

How are you setting Ports or Port Forwarding on the RBR? 

Is uPnP enabled after you set up Port Forwarding? It should be disabled if you set any Port Forwarding. 

Message 12 of 16
TKLee
Tutor

I did not have to make any changes to port forwarding. uPnP was enabled and I did not change it also. By simply adding the laptop as DMZ server and then removing it, my problem was resolved. There must be some sort of bug in there. Even the factory reset didn’t fix it.
Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You might contact NG support and let them know...

Message 14 of 16
TKLee
Tutor

Already did. Thanks! Want to make sure this gets fixed in the next releases so no one else runs into this issue.
Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep on them about this. 

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements