Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Questions About Migrating from RBK53 to RBK753

tucsontico
Virtuoso

Questions About Migrating from RBK53 to RBK753

I was an "early adopter" of the ORBI system in 2016 with an RBK53. It has served me very well but I want to move my RBK53 to my vacation home and migrate to the AX4200 RBK753. (Costco has them on sale for $400. Router + 2 Sats.) I've done a bunch of reading in this forum but want to know if there are any "best practices" I should be aware of before initializing my new ORBI RBK753? 

Appreciate any words of wisdom before setting off on a new router adventure.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I would udpate the system prior to going on line with it. Manually update the RBS first then RBR. 

There is a new beta available if you want to request it. Some users saw DNS issues on theres. Some did not. If you see DNS issues, please ask Christian_R for access to it. 

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

I would not enable Armor or Access Controls until you are confident the system is running well first.

Message 2 of 7
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Thanks for the input. As others have noted in this forum, a good way to easily migrate is to use the same SSID and password. I plan on configuring my RBK753 exactly like my RBK53 with Sats in the same locations. They are over 30 feet away from the router and each other. I currently have Armor and access controls disabled. I also have IP reservations for all my 30+ devices.

I do have to dasiy chain the Sats to get WiFi out to my attached garage (unable to easily hard wire for backhaul due to concrete block walls) but have had no issues with that in over 3 years of operation. 

I will follow your suggestion and update the firmware on the RBK753 and check for DNS issues before putting it online. Will report back after the swap out and a few days of up time. 

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Definately use same SSID name and PW. You can even set up the Orbi AX system and when you ready to go online and replace the 50 series, just leave the 50 series RBR ON, disconnnect any LAN connections from the 50 series and connect them to the Orbi AX RBR and connect the ISP cable to the RBR as well. Power cycle the ISP Modem/ONT the power ON the RBR750. After you see the front LED slowly pulsate White or even go dark, then turn OFF the RBR50 and your wireless device should auto connect and migrate to the Orbi AX system. 

You may see some items that won't connect. If you do, try setting CTS values to 2347 as 64 is default on Orbi AX systems which differs from Orbi AC systems. 

Message 4 of 7
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Furrye38,

Got the RBK753S (1 Router, 2 Sats) installed yesterday. Did the install with the suggestions from the forum. Fairly easy swap out but had to re-initialize my IP reservations for my 30+ devices. Not a big deal, just a bunch of typing and editing. System has been running for 24 hours+ with no apparent device connection issues on latest firmware (V3.2.18.1_1.4.14). Have selected exact same options as my RBK53, e.g, Access Control OFF, Traffic Meter OFF, etc.. However, WiFi download speeds from the sats are slower than expected. I pay Xfinity for 1200 Mbps download/40 Mbps upload. 

As noted in a previous post, I must daisy chain the sats to get WiFi out to my attached garage. I did a bunch of speed tests wired and wireless (via ookla's speedtest.net desktop & iPhone app) at various distances from the router and the sats. Here's the test result numbers (all 5 GHz): 

1) Wired to router (iMac): 920-950 Mbps

2) WiFi to router at 6' (iPhone 8): 540-600 Mbps

3) WiFi to router at 25' (iPhone 8): 375-400 Mbps

4) WiFi to Sat 1 at 6' (iPhone 8): 350-375 Mbps

5) WiFi to Sat 1 at 25' (iPhone 8): 290-315 Mbps

6) WiFi to Sat 2 at 6' (iPhone 8): 210-240 Mbps

7) WiFi to Sat 2 at 25' (iPhone): 200-230 Mbps

😎 All location upload speeds are 35-40 Mbps

While none of these speeds are excessively bad, I'm a bit suprised at the rapid drop off from the main router to Sat 1. Sat 1 is about 40' away from the router with two walls (wood studs with drywall) in between. The drop off from Sat 1 to Sat 2 is more expected as there is a comcrete block wall (with wood studs and drywall on top) between them. 

My question is: Do these number seem "normal" or are there optimization hints I should try to get better speeds at the Sats?

Thanks in advance for any advise!

Message 5 of 7
FirstCup
Guide

I just saw your post, i am going to make a similuar upgrade, Orbi RBR50v2 to a RBR850. I would think the RBR850 will display a different SSID than the current RBR50, I will go with that change. I am not sure how to go about this. Maybe just shut down all of the 50, router and satellites then setup the RBR850 using the current orbi app and then connect the RBS850 satellites (2). I really do not want to be caught dead in the water without anything to connect to. I see you have just went through this. PS I do not understand alot of this stuff. Terry

any advice?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Each Orbi wifi SSID is different and unique, never the same.

I highly recommend using the same SSID name and PW as used prior on your last wifi router system. Make migration of your wireless devices easier and if you put the new system online while leaving the old system on during the intial setup, then turning OFF the old system the devices should all connect and migrate to the new system. You may need to just power cycle some devices thay may not seem to re-connect. Most should though. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7