Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBKE963 Wired Satellite Connections

ptf2
Follower

RBKE963 Wired Satellite Connections

I have a 3 story home (approx 4000 sq. ft.) with gigabit internet. I’ve just purchased the RBKE963 mesh kit, and I’m planning on installing the router on the ground floor near the modem and connecting it's 10Gbps port to the modem's 2.5Gbps WAN port. Since the 2 satellites will be on 2 other floors of the house, I was planning on using existing CAT6 cabling in the house to connect one satellite to the router's 2.5Gbps port and the other satellite to one of the router's 1Gbps Ethernet ports. My rational was that this hardwired setup might provide better backhaul throughput than using the 5GHz WiFi backhaul channel when the satellites are separated by the distances (& building materials) involved in my setup. Two questions:

1. Is this reasoning sound due to the distances involved?

2. Would this free up the 2nd 5GHz radios in the router & satellites for additional 5GHz connectivity/throughput, or is it always “reserved” for a backhaul channel even if the satellites are hardwired to the router?

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBKE963 Wired Satellite Connections

@ptf2 wrote:

I have a 3 story home (approx 4000 sq. ft.) with gigabit internet. I’ve just purchased the RBKE963 mesh kit, and I’m planning on installing the router on the ground floor near the modem and connecting it's 10Gbps port to the modem's 2.5Gbps WAN port. Since the 2 satellites will be on 2 other floors of the house, I was planning on using existing CAT6 cabling in the house to connect one satellite to the router's 2.5Gbps port and the other satellite to one of the router's 1Gbps Ethernet ports. My rational was that this hardwired setup might provide better backhaul throughput than using the 5GHz WiFi backhaul channel when the satellites are separated by the distances (& building materials) involved in my setup. Two questions:

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Just make sure distances are good and pretty far. As the system is farly powerful. Depending on side of home, you may need only one RBS to deploy. I have a 5000 sq ft home and mostly use 1 RBS thats wired. Though I can have two if I turn down the power from 100% to 50 or 25%

2. Would this free up the 2nd 5GHz radios in the router & satellites for additional 5GHz connectivity/throughput, or is it always “reserved” for a backhaul channel even if the satellites are hardwired to the router? Always reserved. 

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

I'm a fan of the hardwired backhaul. I've used both an still end up back using it. 

I'd try both with the satellite and see how it works. 

I actually purchased a renewed tp-link 2.5gig unmanaged 8 port switch for pretty cheap off amazon so I'd have the 2.5gig backhaul link. 

works fantastic. Does it provide any better speeds than the wireless backhaul? Debatable as my internet speeds are just like yours. But its fun to play with. 

And no, it doesn't free up the wireless backhaul. I wish it would 🙂 

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@ptf2 wrote:

2. Would this free up the 2nd 5GHz radios in the router & satellites for additional 5GHz connectivity/throughput, or is it always “reserved” for a backhaul channel even if the satellites are hardwired to the router?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7