RBR350 IPoE per Sky WiFi

enzo-ita
Aspirant

RBR350 IPoE per Sky WiFi

Hi, 

I own a RBR760.

I want to connect directly to the ont.

My provider is Sky Italy.

I can find the configuration from Sky but I can not understand if the protocol required from Sky can be applied to my RBR760

If someone can help, will be appreciated.

Thanks

Messaggio 1 di 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR350 IPoE per Sky WiFi

Can you please post the configuration information provided by Sky?

The Orbi setup page first asks if the ISP requires a user name and password.  That is critical information.

Messaggio 2 di 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Messaggio 3 di 11
enzo-ita
Aspirant

RBR760

Thanks for your answer. Here the traslation of the Sky instructions.
To ensure that the modem you have chosen works correctly with the internet service offered by Sky, your device must meet the following minimum technical requirements:
IPoE IPv4/IPv6 protocol
NAT: MAP-T Mapping of Address and Port, Translation mode (RFC7599)

Below are the Data session configuration parameters that you will need to set in your CPE GUI:
Encapsulation: IEEE 802.1Q VLAN
VLAN: 101

Minimum technical requirements for FTTH:
In the FTTH architecture, the optical fiber arrives directly into your home and must be connected to the ONT (Optical Network Termination) via the RJ-45 Gigabit Ethernet port.
If your modem meets the minimum requirements indicated, after configuring the Data session as described above, it will be sufficient to connect it via the Ethernet cable to the ONT optical termination to be able to use the Data service.

Messaggio 4 di 11
enzo-ita
Aspirant

Thanks for your answer. Here the traslation of the Sky instructions.
To ensure that the modem you have chosen works correctly with the internet service offered by Sky, your device must meet the following minimum technical requirements:
IPoE IPv4/IPv6 protocol

Below are the Data session configuration parameters that you will need to set in your CPE GUI:

In the FTTH architecture, the optical fiber arrives directly into your home and must be connected to the ONT (Optical Network Termination) via the RJ-45 Gigabit Ethernet port.
If your modem meets the minimum requirements indicated, after configuring the Data session as described above, it will be sufficient to connect it via the Ethernet cable to the ONT optical termination to be able to use the Data service.

Messaggio 5 di 11
CrimpOn
Guru

It appears that IPoE is a typical Ethernet based protocol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPoE#:~:text=Internet%20Protocol%20over%20Ethernet%20(IPoE,(ATM)%20wit... 

i.e. use the option, Does not require a login.

Page 70 of the RBR760 User Manual describes setting up the VLAN mentioned by Sky:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK763S/RBR760_RBS760_UM_EN.pdf 

This is a bit disappointing.  There is a support web page in Italian:

https://www.netgear.it/support/product/rbr760#docs 

But the User Manual link brings up the English language version of the user manual.

Messaggio 6 di 11
enzo-ita
Aspirant

Hi and thanks again for the answer.

First may be I was better telling that I have been able to connect the ONT directly with provider Vodafone, setting the things like vodafone indicated.

Second I tryed all possible configurations but there is no way to have Sky accept the connection with my Orbi RBR760 directly. It works only connecting the ONT to the Sky router and the RBR760 to a ethernet port on the Sky router, but this is not what I am looking for.

It looks like that simply creating the vlan tag 101 it would work, but it is not so.

I wonder if I have to use the bridge or the tag for the VLAN. I tryed both however without success.

Any clue will be welcome.

Ciao from Italy

Enzo

Messaggio 7 di 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Darn.  Is there a link on the Sky support web site about "Connecting customer router to fiber ONT"?

Messaggio 8 di 11
enzo-ita
Aspirant

Yes and here the translation of the indications:

IPoE IPv4/IPv6 protocol

Messaggio 9 di 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Perhaps I am confused over terminology.

There are several generic categories of Internet Service Providers (ISPs):

• Companies that piggyback a network connection over a traditional telephone line, i.e. a
    Digital Subscriber Line (DSL).  These connections usually do not offer high speeds.
  • Companies that piggyback a network connection over a cable television service.  These providers require a modem to manage the transition between the COAX cable and Ethernet.
  • Companies that deliver a connection of a fiber optic cable.  This requires an optical network terminal (ONT) to manage the transition from fiber to Ethernet.
  • Companies that deliver a connection over an LTE cellular connection.  This requires a device that can manage the transition between LTE and Ethernet.  This is also called a modem.  See, for example the Netgear LBR20:
    https://www.netgear.com/home/mobile-wifi/routers/lbr20/ 
  • Companies that deliver a connection using satellites, such as StarLink.NBN, etc.  (The modem appears to be built into the antenna?)

Anyway, fiber optics do not involve a modem.  There is the optical network terminal (ONT) and a router, which is required.  Some providers may bundle the ONT function and router function into one physical device.

So, I find the Sky instructions confusing (to me).  When they talk about "modem", is that really a description of the "router"?  Does Sky offer both cable and fiber service?  Could the part about VLAN 101 refer to cable service and not to a fiber connection?

One thing I have observed about technical support is that "it all depends on who you talk to."  A story.....

My cable company supplies a Tuning Adapter to allow my Tivo (yes, I still have one) to get switched digital channels.  (The FCC makes them do it.  They hate Tuning Adapters.)  One day, it quit working and my call to tech support could not get it to work. Spectrum rolled a truck.  The technician spent eight hours at my house (his entire shift) replacing every piece of COAX and every splitter and connector.  He swapped in four new Tuning Adapters, fresh out of the box.  Countless phone calls to Spectrum.  "Hello, I am technician number ###### working on ticket #####."  Finally, he had to leave, "Sorry. I can't stay any longer."  After he left, I called Spectrum one more time and talked to this nice lady who said, "Oh, it looks like your account is coded incorrectly.  There. Can you power it off and back on?"  Worked fine.  The entire day had been spent trying to do the impossible because some computer had decided that I did not have a Tuning Adapter.

The moral of the story is: maybe getting a different Sky tech support person on the phone and saying, "I want to connect my Netgear router directly to the Sky ONT instead of using the Sky router" would supply the desired instructions.

Or, they could say, "Never gonna happen. Live with it."

Messaggio 10 di 11
enzo-ita
Aspirant

Thanks for your answer CrimpOn.

Yes it may be that a call center should able to give a solution, but it is not the case.

They do not care about who wants to use free router. They want you to use what they supply you.

They call it hub.

About your question, yes they are also supplying adsl and other conncetions, but the instructions they give are quite specific for the ftth. They say basically that simply settin the VLAN to 101 the ONT would connect with the Netgear router, but it is proven is not true.

They also do not allow you to redirect ports or to have  no ip service installed.

I do not know why, but I bet they would answer that is for your security.

Thanks for your help in any case.

Ciao from Italy

Enzo

Messaggio 11 di 11
Statistiche discussione
  • 10 risposte
  • 1657 visualizzazioni
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 con conversazione attiva