Reply

RBR750 Guest network intermittent connection issues

fathobbit
Guide

RBR750 Guest network intermittent connection issues

Hi,

 

I have purchased the RBR750 over 3 months ago and still working with netgear support to fix this issue but luck.  Hence trying the community to see if anyone else has noticed this issue.

 

I have been using the older Orbi for over 3 years now and decided to upgrade.  Everything worked fine for about a few weeks since I never connected the guest network but when friends started visiting, they used the guest network and kept complaining that suddently they cannot access the internet and then few mins later, everything works fine and then again it randomly repeats so very erractic and intermittent.  Then I connected to the guest network and same issues.  So opened a support case, its been over 3 months, they asked me to try so many thing which I did and still the same issues.  Eventually they said they are escalating to engineering and after a month, I got an update stating that the latest firmware is out and we should try that, did that but still same issues.  Some of the things we tried, removed password for guest network, changed channels, sent multiple debug logs from router and satellites, static IP's, etc, etc

 

I'm not sure when they say they are escalting to engineering, it actually happens and someone is really looking at it or they just wait for the next firware update arrives and hope that somehow fixes the issue.

 

Then they thought it was may be a bad unit, so I went ahead and purchased another RBR750 and its still the same issue.  So I'm not sure if anyone else is seeing this or is this somethign unique to me.  By the way my old orbi, the guest network works totally fine.

 

Any help is appreciated.

Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR750 Guest network intermittent connection issues

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 
 
What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
 

I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v120) and WNHDE111
Message 2 of 14
fathobbit
Guide

Re: RBR750 Guest network intermittent connection issues

My current firmware version is - 4.6.3.7

My ISP is Xfinity, my download speed is about 500mbps and upload is 15 mbps, I have an Arris T25.  My current(old) working Orbi is RBR50.

 

Home size is about 5000 sq ft and both satellites are less than 30ft from the router.  With netgear support, we tried setting multiple different channels based on least used by neighbor's and that did not help either.

 

After the latest firmware, I don't recall if we did yet another factory reset - did this multiple times earlier, I will try this next.

 

Thanks

Message 3 of 14
fathobbit
Guide

Re: RBR750 Guest network intermittent connection issues

Support reached out to stating that I needed to download another firmware 4.6.3.16.  I did ask them if they wanted me to factory reset and they said no.  Even after this firmware update I'm still facing the same issue.

 

So is it fine for me to factor reset with this firmware even though they said no and try it out?

 

Thanks

Prem

 

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR750 Guest network intermittent connection issues

Factory reset. Walk thru the setup wizard. After you complete the setup wizard and don't enable Armor, pull the power adapters on the RBS first. Pull the power adapter on the RBR for 1 minute the plug back in. After the RBR is back online, plug in the RBS. 

 

Keep in contact with NG support if this still continues to have problems with Guest Network. 

@Blanca_O @DarrenM 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v120) and WNHDE111
Message 5 of 14
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: RBR750 Guest network intermittent connection issues


@fathobbit wrote:

Support reached out to stating that I needed to download another firmware 4.6.3.16.  I did ask them if they wanted me to factory reset and they said no.  Even after this firmware update I'm still facing the same issue.

 

So is it fine for me to factor reset with this firmware even though they said no and try it out?

 

Thanks

Prem

 


Try it.

Message 6 of 14
fathobbit
Guide

Re: RBR750 Guest network intermittent connection issues

 

Did what you had mentioned,  it seemed to work for a couple of days.  Since I had daisy chained and used the default org wifi names, I now renamed my wifi, turned off my old Orbi and made this one the primary.  Did the same thing again in terms turning off everything, starting up RBS and then RBR, etc but the issue started again.

 

So it worked for a day may be and then started again.

 

Thanks

Message 7 of 14
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: RBR750 Guest network intermittent connection issues

Same issue here. I did notice if I turn off and on guest, then it will work well for a day or so. Smiley Sad

 

Message 8 of 14
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: RBR750 Guest network intermittent connection issues


@ant wrote:

Same issue here. I did notice if I turn off and on guest, then it will work well for a day or so. Smiley Sad

 


Nope. It made no differences. It can happen right after disabling and re-enabling it. Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 14
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: RBR750 Guest network intermittent connection issues


@ant wrote:

@ant wrote:

Same issue here. I did notice if I turn off and on guest, then it will work well for a day or so. Smiley Sad

 


Nope. It made no differences. It can happen right after disabling and re-enabling it. Smiley Sad


I updated, resetted, and reconfigured my firmwares. Same results. Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR750 Guest network intermittent connection issues

Open up a support ticket with NG, let them know what your having problems with. They may have not fixed it in this version or know about it. 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v120) and WNHDE111
Message 11 of 14
DanTheMan0
Tutor

Re: RBR750 Guest network intermittent connection issues

I have the same problem. Guest WiFi signal is perfect but the internet connection drops periodically. I just purchased the RBK853 kit (AX6000 Router + Sats) last week. Running the new firmware v4.6.3.16.

 

ISP = ATT | ATT Modem/router = BGW210-700 | IP PAssthrough mode = Enabled

 

I replaced the Orbi with my old Netgear router and the old netgear router's guest network is running fine. So nothing else but the new orbi is preventing this from working. The guest wifi signal is perfect. Internet connection on the guest network disconnects periodically. 

The Netgear support page is a broken link. I cant submit a support ticket. I found another post that said they were given manual reflash instructions (cant find the link at the moment). If this is true, they should make these public so we arent fumbling around online for solutions. This seems like a critical bug for it to not be fixed after over a year of cases.

Message 12 of 14
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: RBR750 Guest network intermittent connection issues


@FURRYe38 wrote:

Open up a support ticket with NG, let them know what your having problems with. They may have not fixed it in this version or know about it. 


Even if my warranty expired a year ago?

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR750 Guest network intermittent connection issues

Try AP mode on your Orbi system. 

 

 


@DanTheMan0 wrote:

I have the same problem. Guest WiFi signal is perfect but the internet connection drops periodically. I just purchased the RBK853 kit (AX6000 Router + Sats) last week. Running the new firmware v4.6.3.16.

 

ISP = ATT | ATT Modem/router = BGW210-700 | IP PAssthrough mode = Enabled

 

I replaced the Orbi with my old Netgear router and the old netgear router's guest network is running fine. So nothing else but the new orbi is preventing this from working. The guest wifi signal is perfect. Internet connection on the guest network disconnects periodically. 

The Netgear support page is a broken link. I cant submit a support ticket. I found another post that said they were given manual reflash instructions (cant find the link at the moment). If this is true, they should make these public so we arent fumbling around online for solutions. This seems like a critical bug for it to not be fixed after over a year of cases.


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v120) and WNHDE111
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 334 views
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E