Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 Guest network intermittent connection issues

fathobbit
Star

RBR750 Guest network intermittent connection issues

Hi,

I have purchased the RBR750 over 3 months ago and still working with netgear support to fix this issue but luck.  Hence trying the community to see if anyone else has noticed this issue.

I have been using the older Orbi for over 3 years now and decided to upgrade.  Everything worked fine for about a few weeks since I never connected the guest network but when friends started visiting, they used the guest network and kept complaining that suddently they cannot access the internet and then few mins later, everything works fine and then again it randomly repeats so very erractic and intermittent.  Then I connected to the guest network and same issues.  So opened a support case, its been over 3 months, they asked me to try so many thing which I did and still the same issues.  Eventually they said they are escalating to engineering and after a month, I got an update stating that the latest firmware is out and we should try that, did that but still same issues.  Some of the things we tried, removed password for guest network, changed channels, sent multiple debug logs from router and satellites, static IP's, etc, etc

I'm not sure when they say they are escalting to engineering, it actually happens and someone is really looking at it or they just wait for the next firware update arrives and hope that somehow fixes the issue.

Then they thought it was may be a bad unit, so I went ahead and purchased another RBR750 and its still the same issue.  So I'm not sure if anyone else is seeing this or is this somethign unique to me.  By the way my old orbi, the guest network works totally fine.

Any help is appreciated.

Message 1 of 49

Accepted Solutions
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: RBR750 Guest network intermittent connection issues

I can confirm it was fixed after a week. 😄

View solution in original post

Message 46 of 49

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.

Message 2 of 49
fathobbit
Star

My current firmware version is - 4.6.3.7

My ISP is Xfinity, my download speed is about 500mbps and upload is 15 mbps, I have an Arris T25.  My current(old) working Orbi is RBR50.

Home size is about 5000 sq ft and both satellites are less than 30ft from the router.  With netgear support, we tried setting multiple different channels based on least used by neighbor's and that did not help either.

After the latest firmware, I don't recall if we did yet another factory reset - did this multiple times earlier, I will try this next.

Thanks

Message 3 of 49
fathobbit
Star

Support reached out to stating that I needed to download another firmware 4.6.3.16.  I did ask them if they wanted me to factory reset and they said no.  Even after this firmware update I'm still facing the same issue.

So is it fine for me to factor reset with this firmware even though they said no and try it out?

Thanks

Prem

Message 4 of 49
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset. Walk thru the setup wizard. After you complete the setup wizard and don't enable Armor, pull the power adapters on the RBS first. Pull the power adapter on the RBR for 1 minute the plug back in. After the RBR is back online, plug in the RBS. 

Keep in contact with NG support if this still continues to have problems with Guest Network. 

@Blanca_O @DarrenM 

Message 5 of 49
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

@fathobbit wrote:

Support reached out to stating that I needed to download another firmware 4.6.3.16.  I did ask them if they wanted me to factory reset and they said no.  Even after this firmware update I'm still facing the same issue.

So is it fine for me to factor reset with this firmware even though they said no and try it out?

Thanks

Prem

Try it.

Message 6 of 49
fathobbit
Star

Did what you had mentioned,  it seemed to work for a couple of days.  Since I had daisy chained and used the default org wifi names, I now renamed my wifi, turned off my old Orbi and made this one the primary.  Did the same thing again in terms turning off everything, starting up RBS and then RBR, etc but the issue started again.

So it worked for a day may be and then started again.

Thanks

Message 7 of 49
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

Same issue here. I did notice if I turn off and on guest, then it will work well for a day or so. 😞

Message 8 of 49
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

@ant wrote:

Same issue here. I did notice if I turn off and on guest, then it will work well for a day or so. 😞

Nope. It made no differences. It can happen right after disabling and re-enabling it. 😞

Message 9 of 49
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

@ant wrote:

@ant wrote:

Nope. It made no differences. It can happen right after disabling and re-enabling it. 😞

I updated, resetted, and reconfigured my firmwares. Same results. 😞

Message 10 of 49
FURRYe38
Guru

Open up a support ticket with NG, let them know what your having problems with. They may have not fixed it in this version or know about it. 

Message 11 of 49
DanTheMan0
Tutor

I have the same problem. Guest WiFi signal is perfect but the internet connection drops periodically. I just purchased the RBK853 kit (AX6000 Router + Sats) last week. Running the new firmware v4.6.3.16.

ISP = ATT | ATT Modem/router = BGW210-700 | IP PAssthrough mode = Enabled

I replaced the Orbi with my old Netgear router and the old netgear router's guest network is running fine. So nothing else but the new orbi is preventing this from working. The guest wifi signal is perfect. Internet connection on the guest network disconnects periodically. 

The Netgear support page is a broken link. I cant submit a support ticket. I found another post that said they were given manual reflash instructions (cant find the link at the moment). If this is true, they should make these public so we arent fumbling around online for solutions. This seems like a critical bug for it to not be fixed after over a year of cases.

Message 12 of 49
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Open up a support ticket with NG, let them know what your having problems with. They may have not fixed it in this version or know about it. 

Even if my warranty expired a year ago?

Message 13 of 49
FURRYe38
Guru

Try AP mode on your Orbi system. 

@DanTheMan0 wrote:

I have the same problem. Guest WiFi signal is perfect but the internet connection drops periodically. I just purchased the RBK853 kit (AX6000 Router + Sats) last week. Running the new firmware v4.6.3.16.

ISP = ATT | ATT Modem/router = BGW210-700 | IP PAssthrough mode = Enabled

I replaced the Orbi with my old Netgear router and the old netgear router's guest network is running fine. So nothing else but the new orbi is preventing this from working. The guest wifi signal is perfect. Internet connection on the guest network disconnects periodically. 

The Netgear support page is a broken link. I cant submit a support ticket. I found another post that said they were given manual reflash instructions (cant find the link at the moment). If this is true, they should make these public so we arent fumbling around online for solutions. This seems like a critical bug for it to not be fixed after over a year of cases.

Message 14 of 49
KDSASSOC
Guide

I have the exact same problem. I have an RBR750 with 2 sattillites that i purchased through costco. the main network works great. but the guest network loses connection every 5-30 mins normally. but i've had periods where it goes longer. I've spent many hours with tech support and we tried everything. now they want to replace it. I don't think that's going to help. but they told me they haven't had any calls about the guest network having problems. that's BS. i really need a guest network. i will try replace the whole thign and see if that helps but this sounds more like a FW problem.

Message 15 of 49
fathobbit
Star

As I mentioned, they refuse to really take a look at the problem.  I don't think support is talking to engineering and passing it on, they ask for all the details, debug logs, etc, etc just wait for the next FW version and still unresolved.  I have tried I think 2 or 3 FW version and no luck. After many years of being an Orbi fan I moved over to Deco now.  I felt bad that I had to return all the Orbi to Costco, since all of them had the issue, no definitely not a hardware problem.

Message 16 of 49
KDSASSOC
Guide

I think I'm going to do the same. Hopefully, Costco will still take it back even though its been 5 months. What version of Deco did you get Deco60? 90? Is it like Orbi where it has the same ssid for 2.4 and 5 and automatically connects the device to 2.4 if it can't do 5?

Message 17 of 49
fathobbit
Star

Costco will take it back, they are great.  I pretty much did that.  Basically I got the AX3600, comes with 3 units, so I replaced my 3 year Orbi system with these three units from Deco now, since the new Orbi did not work out.  The only problem with the new deco compared to the Orbi, the number of ethernet ports are way less so I had to buy another ethernet switch.  The ethernet speeds for some reason are slow but wifi speeds I get the maximum with the new Deco, so far been very happy, again, got this form Costco.

Message 18 of 49
KDSASSOC
Guide

thanks for the info. i found the deco at costco that you got. i'll do the same. 

Message 19 of 49
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

@KDSASSOC wrote:

thanks for the info. i found the deco at costco that you got. i'll do the same. 

Did Costco take your Orbi back without questions? Mine is about a year old. 😞

Message 20 of 49
KDSASSOC
Guide

i'm traveling for work this week so i won't be able to take it back until next week. but costco has been really good in the past about returns.

Message 21 of 49
mlewert
Tutor

As of February 2021, the problem is still with us.  Worked with support, and they eventually said to replace the units.  The same problem still happens with the new units (no surprise to me).

Equipment:

• RB750 Base unit
  • RB750 Satelite unit - wireless connection to the base unit, signal is: good
  • ISP connection: Wireless from the house to the local node (yes you read that right, I have a dish pointing to the local node which is powered over ethernet), IP supplied by the ISP.  Conection to the RB750 is a normal CAT6 cable.

Symptoms:

• Guest network periodically stops talking to the internet,  then starts talking again (annoying as all get out when watching a movie).
  • WiFi connectivity remain strong
  • Guest network time: Always
    Note: this can only be set in the mobile app, support did not appear to know this
  • Main network continues to connect to the internet without issues
  • Wired connections on the router continued to connect to the internet without issues
  • The satelite is connected to the base wirelessly.
  • The wired connections hung off of the satelite continue to talk to the internet without issues.

Things Tried (none of these fixed the issue):

• Power cycling the router
  • Power cycling the satelite
  • Changing the WiFi channels (I also have an app on my phone which sniffs out nearby WiFi signals, so I can find the channel with the least interference).
  • Checked the firmware - is the latest
  • Reflashed the firmware for both router and satelite (done at the direction of support)
  • Full reset to factory setttings, reload saved configuration
  • Full reset to factory settings, minimal config to make it work in our environment
  • Replaced full system (done at the direction of support, saying it was a hardware problem)

Final test configuration:  old router in place of RB750, RB750 in AP mode. This configuration is not sustainable because the old router does not have the reach needed on its own for the guest network.

My guess (and it is just a guess) is that the problem is likely in the code which manages the guest network time.  I would say it is an easy fix, but I have been in the software business for (mumble) years, and know that is rarely the case.

I  have not found a way to know this is truely sent to engineering, since I cannot get any sort of bug/ticket/problem number for the request in engineering. It also means I cannot check on the status of the problem.

sigh...

Message 22 of 49
CrimpOn
Guru

@mlewert wrote:
  • Guest network time: Always
    Note: this can only be set in the mobile app, support did not appear to know this
  • Main network continues to connect to the internet without issues

Thanks for pointing out this setting for the guest WiFi network.  Just wondering: how would a person interpret that setting?  Does it mean:

• When Guest WiFi is enabled, this is how long it stays enabled before the SSID is taken down? (and then it stays down until the user activates it again?)
  • When a specific device connects to the Guest WiFi, this is how long that specific device is allowed before it  is disconnected?

Ordinarily, I recommend that people click on that nearly invisible arrow at the bottom of the screen to pull up a description of what the screen does.  With this feature of guest WiFi not appearing in the User Manual, there is zero chance it will be on the Help Screen.

When a device connection to guest WiFi is interrupted:

• How long is it before the connection is restored?
  • Does an entry appear in the Orbi log showing that the device was issued an IP address with DHCP after the interruption?

p.s. I would put money on Engineering having no idea about this problem report.

Message 23 of 49
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Message 24 of 49
mlewert
Tutor

I don't know.  My notes don't say, and I was working with technical support at the time.  I have since returned the unit, so I am not able to chase it down that way either.

sorry,

Message 25 of 49
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 48 replies
  • 22 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7