Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 WIFI - fast upload but slow download

codynet
Aspirant

RBR750 WIFI - fast upload but slow download

I just purchased an RBR750/RBS750 and have it on latest firmware (V4.6.5.14_2.0.54). I have the router hooked up to my gigabit ethernet. When I run speedtest (speedtest.net- not the one built into the admin panel) from my laptop on wired RBR750 connection I see ~830Mbps down / ~909Mbps up. Great.

Problem is when I move to wifi (802.11.ax connection at 1201/1201 link speed), I see ~330Mbps down / ~790Mbps up. I decided to try wiring my laptop to the satellite with wireless backhaul to see if that would help. I got 322Mbps down / 845Mbps up. The upload / download disparity is bugging me. I tried disabling WMM, moving to insecure network, factory reset, etc. but the discrepancy remains. Any explanation out there for that, and hopefully some way to resolve?

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR750 WIFI - fast upload but slow download

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Whats the wireless device your speed testing with? 

Whats the connection rate between this wireless device and the RBR?

https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Message 2 of 7
codynet
Aspirant

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

V4.6.5.14_2.0.54

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Calix 711GE ONT

Whats the wireless device your speed testing with?

MSI and Alienware gaming laptops (both have 802.11ax wifi cards and gigabit ethernet ports). I speed tested the following two configurations and noticed the download/upload speed discrepancy for each configuration on both laptops:

- Laptop to RBR750 (router) over wifi

- Laptop wired to RBS750 (satellite) connecting to RBR750 via wireless backhaul

The discrepancy does not exist with direct wired connection to RBR750.

Whats the connection rate between this wireless device and the RBR?

When connected over wifi, the laptops are showing 1201Mbps/1201Mbps connection rates.

Message 3 of 7
codynet
Aspirant

Any ideas?
Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Have you disabled AX mode on 2.4Ghz? 

Also try using manual channels 11 and 48. 

Set CTS to 2347. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Has a full facory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update? 

Others have mentioned a reset has helped them. You may need to factory reset the system and power the system OFF as well. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...

Message 5 of 7
codynet
Aspirant

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

2000sqft.

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Tested with more and less than 30 ft. No difference.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

No close neighbors on 5GHz.

Have you disabled AX mode on 2.4Ghz?

Yes. I noticed after changing this my PCs will no longer connect on 5GHz. What could cause that? I rolled it back and noticed my computers will still only connect over 2.4GHz.

Also try using manual channels 11 and 48.

The only 5GHz channels I have are 36, 40, 44, 48.

Set CTS to 2347. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

No impact.

Has a full facory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

Yes.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I would presume your system maybe faulty. You should open up a support ticket with NG support and let them know what your seeing. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7