Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850-frequently issuing DNS error in browsers then refreshes and proceeds to applicable webpage

ssgtweasel
Guide

RBR850-frequently issuing DNS error in browsers then refreshes and proceeds to applicable webpage

Noticing intermittant issues on several of my home PCs, when opening webrower and type in an URL, I'll get an DNS probe error for maybe 2secs then automatically will open the intended webpage

Happens regardless of hard wired or wifi

using suddenlink cable modem only

RBR50 and BRS50 using latest firmware

THis doesn't happenn every instance though

Using ISP DHCP settings - haven't change to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 in either cable modem setting or PCs

I found a similiar post from 2020 however I would have thought this issue may have already been addressed

Not using circle however using netamor

Firmware Version
V3.2.17.12_1.4.14

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR850-frequently issuing DNS error in browsers then refreshes and proceeds to applicable webpag

Message 2 of 10
ssgtweasel
Guide

Re: RBR850-frequently issuing DNS error in browsers then refreshes and proceeds to applicable webpag

Ok thanks but
It’s dated oct 2020 and not real resolution unless I missed it
I don’t enter to manually set google dns in each device
Message 3 of 10
Mikey94025
Hero

Unfortunately the issue still exists and not solved by the latest Orbi AX firmware for the subset of customers impacted by this bug.  Follow the main thread if you want to watch for any new progress.

Message 4 of 10
DNS_PROBE_FAIL
Luminary

Yes, this is a well documented issue with Netgear Orbi AX systems but they're not fixing it.  

Message 5 of 10
ed-win
Guide

DNS issue (and not getting any response from Netgear that they are busy fixing it) was reason for me to return the Orbi RBK853 router.

Wifi coverage was fine, but having to use the Orbi only as Access Point combined with my old router feels not ok.

Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Future reference, some more detailed information is here about it:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Intermittent-DNS-Errors-and-WiFi-Issues/td-p/1950768/jump-t...

NG IS aware of the problem. 

AP mode is only a short term solution until NG fixes this. 

Good Luck

@ed-win wrote:

DNS issue (and not getting any response from Netgear that they are busy fixing it) was reason for me to return the Orbi RBK853 router.

Wifi coverage was fine, but having to use the Orbi only as Access Point combined with my old router feels not ok.

Message 7 of 10
ed-win
Guide

Furry,

Good to know NG seems to be aware of this problem, but during all contacts I had with the support employees they never admitted the problem exists and that NG is working on a solution.

I received more info about the fact that I only have 90 days of support then info about a possible solution. Why don't they tell that the problem is known and that it will be fixed in a future firmware version? Why is there no list of known issues on the (support) site or in the community forum?

Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I agree, would be more transparent and helpful to users to have a known list if issues. I believe that most 1st level support doesn't have more details on the issues at hand. There only there to help solve problems. I presume they don't get any back ground information from deeper sources. NG doeesn't seem to communicate or follow some better practices. Been like this for a while. And with what all happened last year, things were delayed as well so fixes that are on the table, may show up later than expected. 

NG is aware. Heres to hoping for something soon. 

Message 9 of 10
ed-win
Guide

I solved my issues by buying three ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8). Work great and have a lot of configuration options I was missing in the Netgear Orbi. Will not be buying Netgear again.

Good luck to the rest of you still on the Orbi AX.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7