Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RGR850 shows empty device and satellite list...

riko
Aspirant

RGR850 shows empty device and satellite list...

Hi,

i have a RBK853 system installed in my home running in AP mode...behind a web-router from my ISP(3 webgate). On the RBR there is also a lan cable connecting my wired computers. Firmwareversion of the RBR is V3.2.18.1_1.4.14

The RBR850 shows in the status page 2 satelits and 24 connected devices...but if i click the button to show the devicelists it is empty... also no satellit is shown.

If i login to the satellits directly i can see the connected devices.

Does anyone have seen this or know what could be the reason?

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-07 um 11.54.15.pngRBR850.pngBildschirmfoto 2021-07-07 um 11.57.01.pngBildschirmfoto 2021-07-07 um 11.57.49.png

Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
riko
Aspirant

Re: RGR850 shows empty device and satellite list...

Ok.. so i have now connected my network as it was before i had my ORBI RBK853 system...

The ISP modem(placed on 2nd floor) is connected to the cable which goes to the wired network (switch). ISP modems WLAN and DHCP is off.

DHCP is running in the wired network on a mac because of IP reservations for some special WLAN devices...i cant do this in the IPS modem.

The RBR is now connected to a switch in the wired network on 1st floor...same place where my old AP was connected...

All is now working as ist should... and i am now free to place my RBR where it best fits...

Tomorrow i will position and sync my 2 satellits ... one on the 2nd floor and one on the ground floor...

Hopefully it works this way in the end...

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 23

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? Try MS Edge, FireFox or Opera? 

Message 2 of 23
riko
Aspirant

I am using safari ... will test it with other browser in a few minutes... but in the beginning of setup i have seen the satellit and devicelist...

Message 3 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know what the other browsers do...

Possible reset maybe needed if they show same thing...

Message 4 of 23
riko
Aspirant

have now downloaded and installed the firefox ... same thing shown... empty list.

I have allready restarted all 3 devices before... or do you mean now again ?

Message 5 of 23
riko
Aspirant

Maybe i have seen something in the firefox network inspector... there is an error in the answer... see picture...

But why is this?

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-07 um 15.55.52.png

Message 6 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Please select the Choose File button on the forum post and attached the picture file that way. We can't see inline pictures until a moderator approves them. 

Message 7 of 23
riko
Aspirant

Message 8 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd do a full on factory reset on the RBS and RBR. 

Clear out ALL broswser caches. 

Use Firefox or Opera web browsers to set up the RBR. I would leave off the RBS for now. After the RBR is set up. Have your devices connect to it and check the connected devices page. Should see devices being listed here...

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 9 of 23
riko
Aspirant

Hmm.. resetting to factory defaults can take a while ...

Dont know you mean by "Mfr" ...

Following my ISP modem informations ... its a HUAWEI modem

Gerätename:E5186s-22a
Meine Nummer:Unbekannt
Hardware-Version:CL1E5175HM
Software-Version:21.316.01.00.00
Weboberflächen-Version:16.100.02.00.03
MAC-Adressen:50:04:B8:F0:3B:36
WAN IP-Adresse:10.208.x.x
Message 10 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Mfr= Manufacturer. or Brand. 

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 11 of 23
riko
Aspirant

Yes, i have done option 3(was it also before) because in my ISP modem i cant set anything...

So the RBR850 is now setup new, and shows again the devicelist with some devices...

What is the recomendet way to connect the wired network (macs, TVs, printers,...) ...also the DHCP server is running on a mac...

Should i plug the cable into the ISP modem (there are 4ports) or into the RBR ?

Message 12 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

I would connect the RBR to the Mac that is running the DHCP server. Then connect everything else to the RBR.

You can add a LAN switch behind the RBR for additional ports...

Message 13 of 23
riko
Aspirant

At the end where the RBR and ISP modem is placed (top of the house(2nd floor) because of the antenna of the ISP modem), there i have only one cat6 cable which goes to a switch...before this end was pluged into the ISP modem.

Is this not so good in case of the RBR?

Message 14 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Try either location and see what works best for you...Normally, the RBR in AP mode would be connected to the ISP Modem which have DHCP handling here. 

Message 15 of 23
riko
Aspirant

Sofar none of the two options work ...

If i plug the cable from the wired network to the ISP modem, the wlan clients don't get an IP assigned.

If i plug the cable from the wired network to the RBR, the wlan clients can connect but the devicelist in the RBR is empty.

Can it be that the number of devices makes this behavior ?

Without the cable i have 14 devices connected and are shown in the RBR devicelist.

With the cable i have 27 devices connected to the RBR and the devicelist is empty.

Maybe i should try to connect the RBR to the switch in the wired network ... as my old WLAN AP, before i had the ORBI, was connected...

Message 16 of 23
riko
Aspirant

Ok.. so i have now connected my network as it was before i had my ORBI RBK853 system...

The ISP modem(placed on 2nd floor) is connected to the cable which goes to the wired network (switch). ISP modems WLAN and DHCP is off.

DHCP is running in the wired network on a mac because of IP reservations for some special WLAN devices...i cant do this in the IPS modem.

The RBR is now connected to a switch in the wired network on 1st floor...same place where my old AP was connected...

All is now working as ist should... and i am now free to place my RBR where it best fits...

Tomorrow i will position and sync my 2 satellits ... one on the 2nd floor and one on the ground floor...

Hopefully it works this way in the end...

Message 17 of 23
riko
Aspirant

Satellits are placed and have good connection to RBR...

The network is now working as it should ... and the coverage is also very good throughout the house...

Message 18 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. And do the RBR and RBS devcie list populate correctly?

Message 19 of 23
riko
Aspirant

Yes they do...

Message 20 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 
Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

Message 21 of 23
riko
Aspirant

Hi,

have marked my solution... Thanks for your answers!

Message 22 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7