Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow 2.4Ghz Speed in RBS850

ancen
Aspirant

Slow 2.4Ghz Speed in RBS850

I have 150mbps internet plan, I'm using firmware V4.6.3.16_2.0.51, and 2.4 Ghz channel is set to auto.

If I'm using 5Ghz connected device, I can get 150mbps speed just fine using speedtest.net

But when using 2.4Ghz connected device, I only get around 60mbps speed using the same speedtest.net. Also tried with different devices, and the result are quite the same.

Both test are done in the same room as the router where I can get RSSI -55dbm (Great signal strength)

Is this normal or anything I should check? I mean 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz speed should be the same right? 

In 2.4Ghz with great signal strength, I should get maximum speed of my internet plan right?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Slow 2.4Ghz Speed in RBS850

@ancen wrote:

Is this normal or anything I should check? I mean 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz speed should be the same right? ---No. 2.4ghz is a much slower network and more sensitive to interference. Its the whole purpose of 5ghz. But the benefit to 2.4ghz is that it broadcasts futher and through more materials than 5ghz. 

In 2.4Ghz with great signal strength, I should get maximum speed of my internet plan right?--not necessarily. I can hit over 100mbps over my 2.4ghz but it isn't sustained speeds. And thats been tested on an RAXE500, RAX200, CAX80 and using an Intel AX200 and AX210 card. 2.4ghz is just slower and has more interference. In an area with zero other 2.4ghz devices broadcasting you might hit those speeds but in a more congested area, its doubtful. 

You can read more about wifi and its speeds/expectations here. https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

it goes a bit into depth for what your asking but is a pretty easy read and helps clear up a bunch of misunderstandings. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

@ancen wrote:

Is this normal or anything I should check? I mean 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz speed should be the same right? ---No. 2.4ghz is a much slower network and more sensitive to interference. Its the whole purpose of 5ghz. But the benefit to 2.4ghz is that it broadcasts futher and through more materials than 5ghz. 

In 2.4Ghz with great signal strength, I should get maximum speed of my internet plan right?--not necessarily. I can hit over 100mbps over my 2.4ghz but it isn't sustained speeds. And thats been tested on an RAXE500, RAX200, CAX80 and using an Intel AX200 and AX210 card. 2.4ghz is just slower and has more interference. In an area with zero other 2.4ghz devices broadcasting you might hit those speeds but in a more congested area, its doubtful. 

You can read more about wifi and its speeds/expectations here. https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

it goes a bit into depth for what your asking but is a pretty easy read and helps clear up a bunch of misunderstandings. 

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Ensure WMM is enabled and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@ancen wrote:

I have 150mbps internet plan, I'm using firmware V4.6.3.16_2.0.51, and 2.4 Ghz channel is set to auto.

If I'm using 5Ghz connected device, I can get 150mbps speed just fine using speedtest.net

But when using 2.4Ghz connected device, I only get around 60mbps speed using the same speedtest.net. Also tried with different devices, and the result are quite the same.

Both test are done in the same room as the router where I can get RSSI -55dbm (Great signal strength)

Is this normal or anything I should check? I mean 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz speed should be the same right? 

In 2.4Ghz with great signal strength, I should get maximum speed of my internet plan right?

Message 3 of 5
ancen
Aspirant

its a good read! thank you
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Please give feedback to the question presented so we can better help you out. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7