FURRYe38
Guru

Re: WPA3 issues

Thank you for this info. 

Message 26 of 35
CrazyEddie
Apprentice

Sorry to be late to this thread. I was just thinking of switching my RBR/RBS network to WPA3-Personal [SAE] but wondered, "am I going to regret this?" Except for a somewhat dated Samsung TV, I *think* that all of my (mostly Apple) devices should work....

Message 27 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Make sure that ALL of your devices support WPA3. I would guess that most may not. Not alot of client side devices support WPA3, especially older devices. Check with the Mfr of thsse devices for additional help and information regarding this. 

@CrazyEddie wrote:

Sorry to be late to this thread. I was just thinking of switching my RBR/RBS network to WPA3-Personal [SAE] but wondered, "am I going to regret this?" Except for a somewhat dated Samsung TV, I *think* that all of my (mostly Apple) devices should work....

Message 28 of 35
pkgadd
Apprentice

If all your devices support WPA3, there's no reason to regreat it. WPA3 fixes some security weaknesses and makes IEEE 802.11w mandatory, which is long overdue.

The only problem is interoperability with devices in the wild, sadly including brandnew ones (and IoT in particular). If all your devices support it, great - sadly the situation is different for most of us, partially because of older device, partially because of contemporary IoT devices, partially because of brandnew devices where the vendor messed up and doesn't really support WPA3 despite claiming to do so, partially because you may have friends and family coming over with non-WPA3-compliant devices.

But, there's no harm done in trying - if it succeeds in your environment, great.

Message 29 of 35
mar63
Tutor

Has NG fixed the WPA3 issues yet?  I am having trouble with a wifi doorbell.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 30 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the door bell support WPA3? if not, you'll need to use WPA2.

@mar63 wrote:

Has NG fixed the WPA3 issues yet?  I am having trouble with a wifi doorbell.

Message 31 of 35
mar63
Tutor

Sure enough that was the problem.  I have the newest arlo and you would think it would be.  Thanks for the response.

Message 32 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Im sure theres still lots of devices that don't support WPA3 as of yet. 

Glad it worked. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 33 of 35
theBrick89
Star

I wonder if Netgear has any plan to add WPA2 + WPA3 mode to their older Orbi models since I just found out myself that new RBKE960 family supports that exact mode I was wanted previously on RBK850 family. I'm happy with my new RBKE963 but it'd be very nice to have that feature added to the older models too. 

Message 34 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

We have asked about this.

Message 35 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements