Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

unknow Orbi satellite with RBK853

Neilpa70
Initiate

unknow Orbi satellite with RBK853

I have the Orbi AX6000 with 4 satellites. However, when I go to my Orbi app on my IPhone and look at the satellites, it shows the four that I have, plus one unknown satellite. I don't now what is this mystery satellite, or how to get rid of it. When I click on the details, it says it is offline, and the hardware version is Xerox Cororation. It even gives a serial number, a MAC address, and an IP Address.

What is this satellite, and how do I get rid of it?

Message 1 of 8
Chuck_M
Mentor

Re: unknow Orbi satellite with RBK853

I had this exact issue.... the only thing that got rid of it was to do a factory reset of router and satellites.

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Is this your first Orbi system? 

@Neilpa70 wrote:

I have the Orbi AX6000 with 4 satellites. However, when I go to my Orbi app on my IPhone and look at the satellites, it shows the four that I have, plus one unknown satellite. I don't now what is this mystery satellite, or how to get rid of it. When I click on the details, it says it is offline, and the hardware version is Xerox Cororation. It even gives a serial number, a MAC address, and an IP Address.

What is this satellite, and how do I get rid of it?

Message 3 of 8
Neilpa70
Initiate

Firmware Version is V.3.12.16.6_1.4.4

Message 4 of 8
Maaja13
Tutor

I have the same issue with my WiFi 6 system. I have 1 router and two satellites that are not backhaul wires. It seems I am constantly having problems with dropping connections between my satellites and router. (Glows purple for a bit and the. Reconnects.). On several occasions I have found other unknown satellites, including the xerox one. I have also found that my iPhone is listed As a satellite at times. This has only happened on the IOS Orbi app. I have not had the unknown satellites populate when connecting to the orbi interface on the browser.
Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Both RBR and RBS using same version of FW?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

@Maaja13 wrote:
I have the same issue with my WiFi 6 system. I have 1 router and two satellites that are not backhaul wires. It seems I am constantly having problems with dropping connections between my satellites and router. (Glows purple for a bit and the. Reconnects.). On several occasions I have found other unknown satellites, including the xerox one. I have also found that my iPhone is listed As a satellite at times. This has only happened on the IOS Orbi app. I have not had the unknown satellites populate when connecting to the orbi interface on the browser.

Message 6 of 8
Maaja13
Tutor

V3.2.16.6_1.4.4

Both RBR and RBS using same version of FW?

Yes, RBR and 2x RBS using same version.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Yes, I have probably reset it more times than I have fingers. I have tried AP mode with changes to Modem unsuccesfully, as well as tinkering with almost every setting and option I could (both on the modem and router). Usually restoring the original settings, but sometimes doing a complete reset.
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Service Provider & Provider's modem:
AT&T Fiber 1 GB
ARRIS BGW210-700 with 2.8.7 software version installed

Modem is currently placing the RBR850 in IP passthrough mode with firewall disabled on modem. All wireless settings are turned off on Modem.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

Approx. 4000 Sq Ft.
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

This is one thing that I have also toyed with a great deal. My router has stayed relatively still. It is connected to my modem at the center of the home, on the second story, and located in a place that has few walls and mostly open to the first floor around It. The first satelite is located in the master bedroom (about 70 feet away from router), and has been there for most of it's life as well (again, I have tinkered with it's position slightly, relative to other electronics that are wired to it).

The second satelite has been moved around a lot. I currently have It downstairs in the breakfast room (about 50 feet away from router). I have had this one all over the house, including the garage, in attempts to make sure they are distanced properly while trouble shooting. I have also completely disconnected this device for long periods of time in an attempt to resolve any problems (as well as swapping and resyncing/resetting satelites in an attempt to rule out a defective satelite).

I must confess, since tinkering with a few settings last night, everything seems to be working. However, if the past is any indication as to what is to come, It usually works for a day or two and then starts having trouble.

I tried to attach a Notepad documment with most of my RBR850 Settings, as well as some relevant modem information, it was not allowed.

It may be worth mentioning that I have had these so many problems with the internet for about 1 year now. I had previously had problems with the internet just completely shutting down while streaming movies or watching youtube, without any indication that the satelites had a poor connection to the modem (signal was strong and no blinking lights). I spent a great deal of time tinkering with settings until that problem seemed to be resolved, and resolved it remained for about 2 months (I dont remember what i changed in the modem or router to get this fixed). I thought that maybe the latest problems were occuring due to too many devices connected (at one point it was about 87 devices, mostly smart home things). First I tried adjusting the 2.4 to 50% power with no improvement. Next I disconnected almost all of our smart devices (a lot of wyze cams, bulbs, samsung smarthings switches and sensors). This has left me with about 20-30 devices in use at any given time.

Also, I currently have what is probably a fully functioning RBK44 system with 1 router and 3 satelites. I replaced this system when all of these problems started last year. Unfortunately, problems just continue =(

PS. my Orbi app is currently showing that an applewatch from xerox corp is a 3rd satelite and is trying to connect to the first rbs850 satelite. This is not the case when looking at orbi through the intranet login.

Please let me know if you need anything else. I'm so frustrated at this point. I'm ready to start looking into small business solutions, unfortunately, I have no experience with switches, access points and such. I really want things to just work =(

Thank you.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try the 1 RBS thats 70 feet away at a closer distance, try 40-50feet from the RBR. 

What channels are you using? 
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

You might try turning OFF some of the smart Bulbs. I've see other posts regarding some Smart devices causing interference problems on Orbi systems. You migth try turning OFF all smart devices. Then let the system run for a while, then graduate turning ON devices to see if there is any change in behavior your experiencing. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7