Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I change the transmit power on RBK753 router \ satellite

Billy2017
Aspirant

Can I change the transmit power on RBK753 router \ satellite

Hi,

I am currently using PowerLine to get hardwired internet access to two rooms in my house. My current WiFi reaches, but has two bars less showing on my iPhone, and the Switch can't see the SSID.

I'm also looking to get a Ring camera outside my house, where my current WiFi is not strong enough.

What I am looking to do is replace the PowerLine with Orbi as I like the idea of the WiFi 6 backhaul, whcih should also provide WiFi for the Ring cameras.

My concern is that inside the house, there may be too much overlap between the main router (in the center of the house), and the two satellites (one at the front, and one at the back). Could this cause me an issue, and is it possible to reduce the range \ power of the satellites or the satellites and the router?

Also, if I use them as AP's, can I still keep a custom IP address range?

Oh, and I'm based in the UK if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can I change the transmit power on RBK753 router \ satellite

@Billy2017 wrote:

Hi,

I am currently using PowerLine to get hardwired internet access to two rooms in my house. My current WiFi reaches, but has two bars less showing on my iPhone, and the Switch can't see the SSID. https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 📡

I'm also looking to get a Ring camera outside my house, where my current WiFi is not strong enough.

What I am looking to do is replace the PowerLine with Orbi as I like the idea of the WiFi 6 backhaul, whcih should also provide WiFi for the Ring cameras.

My concern is that inside the house, there may be too much overlap between the main router (in the center of the house), and the two satellites (one at the front, and one at the back). Could this cause me an issue, and is it possible to reduce the range \ power of the satellites or the satellites and the router? Yes

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Also, if I use them as AP's, can I still keep a custom IP address range? Yes. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

@Billy2017 wrote:

Hi,

I am currently using PowerLine to get hardwired internet access to two rooms in my house. My current WiFi reaches, but has two bars less showing on my iPhone, and the Switch can't see the SSID. https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 📡

My concern is that inside the house, there may be too much overlap between the main router (in the center of the house), and the two satellites (one at the front, and one at the back). Could this cause me an issue, and is it possible to reduce the range \ power of the satellites or the satellites and the router? Yes

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Also, if I use them as AP's, can I still keep a custom IP address range? Yes. 

Message 2 of 6
Billy2017
Aspirant

Cheers for the reply.

If the satellite and router are closer than 30FT, will reducing the TX power alleviate the issue? Sorry, just checking before I spend money.

Thanks

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes I can. 

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes It can. 

Message 5 of 6
techupdate0
Tutor

@Billy2017 wrote:

Hi,

I am currently using PowerLine to get hardwired internet access to two rooms in my house. My current WiFi reaches, but has two bars less showing on my iPhone, and the Switch can't see the SSID.

What I am looking to do is replace the PowerLine with Orbi as I like the idea of the Progressive WiFi 6 backhaul, whcih should also provide WiFi for the Ring cameras.

My concern is that inside the house, there may be too much overlap between the main router (in the center of the house), and the two satellites (one at the front, and one at the back). Could this cause me an issue, and is it possible to reduce the range \ power of the satellites or the satellites and the router?

Also, if I use them as AP's, can I still keep a custom IP address range?

Thanks

Yes according to my knowledge yes you can do it. but i recommend to keep your ip static to avoide then blocking issue.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7