Re: Intermittent DNS Errors and WiFi Issues

Mstrbig
Master

Capture2.JPG

Orbi RBK53 System/RBR50/RBS50/RBS50. + Orbi Voice RBS40V
RBK753 system/RBR750/RBS750/RBS750 + RBK853 System/RBR850/RBS850/RBS850
SXK80 — Orbi Pro AX6000 WiFi 6 Tri-Band WiFi System
There's always a logical answer, if you have all the facts!
Message 126 of 679
bass299
Initiate

@Mstrbig wrote:

@DNS_PROBE_FAIL wrote:

The "proper setup" argument really doesn't hold water here.  This is a consumer-class networking product, not an advanced networking platform.

Netgear, get your act together.  I'll be returning my Orbi setup by the end of December if this isn't resolved.  For $1k there are a plethora of other options.

...A novice could have a nightmare configuring one... I doubt it will be resolved, because I believe it's not the fault of the Orbi. So it may be better to not wait and return it now.

No, it's sold as a "consumer-class networking product". You plug it in and follow the bouncing ball to set it up. Yet you berate the other poster for suggesting as such, and state that: "A novice could have a nightmare configuring one." (So, we have to go and get Networking Degrees before we go down to the local ma-and-pa retail chain to buy an Orbi?)

Yes, I am here fruitlessly searching for answers to why MY brand new out-of-the-box RBR750 orbi can't load web pages properly half the time, yet I can bypass it via a tp-link router, or let windows10 handle the routing directly to through my coaxil dumb-modem, and everything works fine. I spent hours waiting for Netgear support trying to solve this and they have no solution. I need to return mine too.

Message 127 of 679
FURRYe38
Guru

The information Mstrbig references is just a work around. Users are encouraged to either try the work around, contact NG support or return the system if your still in your return period. 

Good Luck.

@bass299 wrote:

Yes, I am here fruitlessly searching for answers to why MY brand new out-of-the-box RBR750 orbi can't load web pages properly half the time, yet I can bypass it via a tp-link router, or let windows10 handle the routing directly to through my coaxil dumb-modem, and everything works fine. I spent hours waiting for Netgear support trying to solve this and they have no solution. I need to return mine too.

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v4.6.3.16
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v120) and WNHDE111
Message 128 of 679
Mstrbig
Master

And I gave you the solution. This is not an Orbi issue, as we are experiencing it with the Linksys Velop line, that supports IPv6. It is happeing more and more, due to the increase in product support for IPv6 on the net. And ISPs that do not support IPv6 pass through the untranslated packets. The short DNS error, causing the web page not to load, is more than likely caused by a timeout error, then corrects itself and the web page finally loads. Adding 6to4 tunneling support allows the translation to take place and not timeout. 

Message 129 of 679
pinchweasel
Initiate

If NG support wasn't complete hot garbage I'd probably try to work with them and/or wait for a firmware fix. But, mine is getting returned to Costco.

Message 130 of 679
FURRYe38
Guru

Mines working with out the IPv6 configuration. 

Good Luck. 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v120) and WNHDE111
Message 131 of 679
Mstrbig
Master

@pinchweasel wrote:

If NG support wasn't complete hot garbage I'd probably try to work with them and/or wait for a firmware fix. But, mine is getting returned to Costco.

The problem is ISP related and not an Orbi issue.

My dealings with Netgear support have been 80/20. 80% of the time the issue gets resolved. The 20% is usually configuration, reset necessity, device or modem causing issues, etc., basically non Orbi related. Unfortunately many end users feel every situation is the manufacturer's fault. I see it here and on many other forums, where a solution, or work around, for a certain 3rd party device or this particular issue, is argued, and the poster still blames the manufacturer, even though a solution is available. 

@FURRYe38 posted that he does not have IPv6 configured and does not have the DNS issue. That tells me right there it is more an ISP issue than an Orbi issue. Linksys is having similar issues with IPv6. I provided a solution for those having this problem, and some have put it down as a bandaide. It may be true, but that does not make it the fault of Orbi.

Message 132 of 679
msinex
Apprentice

This message thread has gotten a bit testy, which is understandable given the frustrating nature of the issue.  I value all of the potential fixes being posted on the thread.  It's probably less helpful to attack one another on what's a fix vs. a workaround and what's a netgear issue vs. an ISP issue.  I know I've fallen into the trap on a few replies, and it's probably not helpful.  

I will reply that before I shifted ISPs I did not have IPv6 configured as an option, and was still having DNS issues on the devices that I couldn't manually point to another DNS.

Message 133 of 679
DNS_PROBE_FAIL
Luminary

You should really stop referring to workarounds as solutions or fixes.  And to blame the consumer when their devices aren't working despite them following the manufacturer recommended setup is a disservice to everyone.  To blame the ISP when the issues vanish with other hardware is also wrong. 

Can you explain why my old orbi system does not have the issue but the new one does, with identical configurations?

Or why other users can swap their routers to another brand, the problems go away for them, despite having the same ISP?

The issue did not go away for me, even when I followed your posted workaround verbatim.  It reduced my errors but they did not go away.  Other changes seem to reduce people's errors temporarily as well, but they return in time and to the same frequency.  

There are far too many possible variables for you to draw the conclusion that it's purely the ISP and the data that has been presented by those with the issue here, in other threads on this site and on other sites do not support your claim.  Earlier you drew the conclusion it was user error and misconfiguration, but now you say it's the ISP.  

There could still be hardware variations that we are not aware of and the issues manifest differently or not at all on different internal hardware revisions.  Examples of this could be brand of memory chips, cpu, power supply, voltage regulation, antenna spec, ethernet controller, pcb revisions.  None of these would be known to the public and companies go through revisions all the time without disclosing it to the consumer.  Netgear in particular is known for this and I have first hand experience with it by knowing people who worked for them.  They don't make all of their own components, they slap together different bits internally based on availability and cost.  We had an example of this at a tech school where I taught Cisco CCNA and CCNP classes.  In our lab we had some anomalies with drivers and pulled the NICs from PCs that came off of the same assembly line and we had 3 Netgear cards that had the same model number but different minor revision number - side by side they were completely different hardware.  The PCB wasn't the same size or color and the layout and components were completely different.  They sourced nics from entirely different manufacturers and called it their same model and resold them as the same but they weren't.  They did this on their network switches as well so it stands to reason that is at least a possibility here, especially in a year where supply chains were strained due to pandemic shortages.  There are variables we may not be aware of and Netgear has a history of being terrible at managing this. 

Any manufacturer that follows IETF RFCs and IEEE standards for DNS, IP, DHCP, etc would create a system that works dynamically by pulling DNS servers from the ISP, then passing them to clients via DHCP.  IP assignments would be dynamic from the ISP to router and from router to other devices using DHCP.  There is no requirement for IPv6.  No requirement for 6to4 tunnels (which have a large history of problems and industry course corrections).  If there was, it would be part of the setup process from Netgear and all of these other hardware vendors and it's not a requirement unless your hosts/LAN are IPv6 and you're connecting through an IPv4 network to another IPv6 network which I assure you is not a requirement for anyone posting here.  ISPs do not require IPv6 - my ISP is Comcast at home and one of the ISPs we use at work and we do not use v6 at any of the dozens of sites we support across the country.  We are 100% pure IPv4 so that we can focus on securing 1 protocol version and simplify our firewalls and overall network environment. 

It also sounds like this particular issue was not present in earlier Orbis or with earlier firmware, though they had different issues that had to be addressed with updates.

Netgear needs to own this issue and they aren't.   You aren't helping by defending them.

Message 134 of 679
FURRYe38
Guru

There seems to be a mixed bag on users seeing this problem and those that don't. I for one have never seen this problem and I do have both Orbi AC and AX systems. I'm now on a CM1200 modem with LAG enabled from at CAX80 gateway, to the Orbi AX that is in router mode. Still have not seen this issue. And for kicks I have also enabled the IPv6 6to4 configuration just to see if anything has changed from not having it enabled since my ISP doesn't support native IPv6 and still not NOT see any issues. Tells me that at for me and my ISP, NG FW is working. 

Seem that there are more specific ISP and NG related issues, especially when it comes to DNS and how the ISP services, modem configurations and Orbi are handling things. Just becsome some users are seeing this doesn't always mean it's NGs fault. I would agree that both ISP AND NG need to collect and review whos seeing this issue and with what ISPs and what ISP configurations are being used. 

And also, you can't say that NG needs to own up to this, how do you know that NG isn't already aware? 

Uses are also encouraged to contact NG support and let them know what users are seeing. The more information you can give them, details, ISP configurations and debug logs, the better and hopefully help them get what ever this issue is, fixed for those of you having this problem.

As for the forum and user info and posts, seems that this has become a dead horse and theres not much else we can do here to help those seing this issue. So users are encouraged to either contact NG support, try the IPv6 work around for short term use, or find a different system. 

Good Luck. 

Message 135 of 679
msinex
Apprentice

As a quick update, unfortunately the DNS issues have come back with a vegence over the past few days.  I had shifted my ISP from Spectrum cable to Metronet fiber and afterwards had enjoyed a few weeks of no issues.  I have not changed a single thing on my setup or settings, and starting last Friday I have started seeing the old DNS issues pop back up repeatedly across multiple devices including a rasberry pi, a secondary security panel that uses wifi, and my work laptop (which is locked down so much I can't shift any settings to bandaid the router DNS issues).  I guess it's nice that things seem to work for weeks at a time, but it is extremely frustrating that these random issues pop up with no explanation.  

Message 136 of 679
filmnikon
Aspirant

Alright so I tried something based on some of the conversations in this thread, and is has worked for me so far.  I waited a full 5 days to see if I had any of the DNS errors again and thus far there have been none.  There is only one thing that I did.  Based on the IPv6 discussion, I felt like trying this would cause no harm:

I went into the admin page -> Advanced -> Advanced -> Ipv6 -> Internet Connection Type I changed from "Disabled" to "Auto".  This took a little while and then I left everything on what it automatically detected. 

From that time I have had no DNS errors for 5 days.  I am cautiously optimistic, but based on some other users I am not 100% sure if this has truly fixed things.  But I wanted to share this just in case it works for any of you.  Note that I *did not* apply the "work around" on my PC to point to a fixed set of DNS servers, so again I am hopeful this may work for others as well.  Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Message 137 of 679
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Keep us posted on how it goes. 

@filmnikon wrote:

Alright so I tried something based on some of the conversations in this thread, and is has worked for me so far.  I waited a full 5 days to see if I had any of the DNS errors again and thus far there have been none.  There is only one thing that I did.  Based on the IPv6 discussion, I felt like trying this would cause no harm:

I went into the admin page -> Advanced -> Advanced -> Ipv6 -> Internet Connection Type I changed from "Disabled" to "Auto".  This took a little while and then I left everything on what it automatically detected. 

From that time I have had no DNS errors for 5 days.  I am cautiously optimistic, but based on some other users I am not 100% sure if this has truly fixed things.  But I wanted to share this just in case it works for any of you.  Note that I *did not* apply the "work around" on my PC to point to a fixed set of DNS servers, so again I am hopeful this may work for others as well.  Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Message 138 of 679
Mjhalm
Aspirant

The "workaround" changing DNS settings on router and pc as proposed has worked so far with my PC. Any way to get this same workaround on my iPad?

Message 139 of 679
FURRYe38
Guru

I've only changed DNS on my Orbi. Other devices are set for automatic. 
Though you might be able to change settings on the pad. Probably under the connection network settings. Contact Apple support to get information on how to change settings on there product. 

@Mjhalm wrote:

The "workaround" changing DNS settings on router and pc as proposed has worked so far with my PC. Any way to get this same workaround on my iPad?

Message 140 of 679
Mikey94025
Prodigy

@Mjhalm wrote:

I believe this is what you're asking for: https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/features/how-to-change-dns-server-on-iphone-ipad-or-ipod-touch-1671...

Message 141 of 679
mishrethel
Initiate

I'm running the RBR850 on the 16.22 firmware and ATT Fiber.  I have the same issues.  The DNS setting doesn't matter(automatic, google, cloudflare, whatever), and IPV6 is disabled both in the ATT Gateway as well as my Orbi configuration, so that's not it either.  Netgear has a real annyoing glitch in these newer Orbis that didn't exist in my old RBR50.

Message 142 of 679
DNS_PROBE_FAIL
Luminary

In my case just enabling IPv6 helped issues for clients that can use IPv6.  For those devices that only support IPv4 it didn't resolve the issues for me, even with the 6to4 tunneling work-around listed in this thread which apparently worked for others.  Many devices timeout that don't retry such as IoT devices that are IPv4 only.  A wifi enabled treadmill we have has constant issues connecting to internet because of it.  You have to reboot the treadmill until it connects.  It also creates issues for our family internet filter. 

This is what improved the timeouts for me on most of my devices.  Orbi Firmware Version V3.2.16.22_1.4.9.  I still get a few DNS errors but they are far less frequent now:  

Leave AX enabled under Setup, Wireless Setup. (disabling this did not help me) 

Under Advanced, IPv6 set the following: 
   - Set internet connection type to "Auto Config"
   - Set IPv6 DNS to "Get Automatically from ISP"
   - Set LAN setup to "Auto Config"
   - Save settings.

Then go enable IPv6 on all of the network devices that you can.  Most computers have it enabled by default. 

It's definitely a bug in code with Netgear and wasn't present on my older Orbi system either.  It supports v4 and there is no technical requirement to use v6.   Netgear needs to step up and resolve this.  

Message 143 of 679
mishrethel
Initiate

I can see how that would help, but I have IPv6 disabled on purpose for security reasons on both the ATT gateway side as well as the Netgear side. I shouldn’t have to enable it for the router to work correctly. Netgear needs to get their act together and correct the issue.
Message 144 of 679
FURRYe38
Guru

Please contact NG support for help and information regarding this if your having problems with DNS on your system. 

Thank you. 

Message 145 of 679
msinex
Apprentice

Please share any information you get if you call in.  I didn't get much when I tried, but you may have better luck.  Thanks!

Message 146 of 679
DNS_PROBE_FAIL
Luminary

You are preaching to the choir my friend.  It adds complexity and difficulties in securing your network for sure.  I have many comments in this thread to that effect.  And 100% this is Netgears fault.  There is absolutlely no reason you should have to use IPv6.  None.

Message 147 of 679
FURRYe38
Guru

This DNS issue seems to be releated to some on certain ISPs while others haven't seen this issue. I for one have not since I installed my Orbi AX 2019. I ran all v4 up until last last year when I tried 6to4 since my ISP doesn't natively support IPv6. both IP version work with my ISP. 

It would be advised for those of you you see this issue, capture debug logs and send them to NG support for review. Contact a forum moderator to have them help you with this. 

@Blanca_O 

Message 148 of 679
Ace321
Apprentice

NG Support provided a Beta firmware to me for DNS errors issue. I have been testing for couple of days. DNS errors are not completely eliminated but reduced significantly. I get problems accessing the web interface through. I will contimue to test for 3-4 more days and will try to factory reset router on the weekend and see if it fixes the web interface issue.

Message 149 of 679
FURRYe38
Guru

A factory reset would be good to check. Most beta FW application should include a factory reset and setup from scratch to be sure. Keep us and NG posted. 

@Ace321 wrote:

NG Support provided a Beta firmware to me for DNS errors issue. I have been testing for couple of days. DNS errors are not completely eliminated but reduced significantly. I get problems accessing the web interface through. I will contimue to test for 3-4 more days and will try to factory reset router on the weekend and see if it fixes the web interface issue.

Message 150 of 679
Top Contributors
Announcements