Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Mesh Network Connections

Parth_Goyal
Aspirant

Mesh Network Connections

I have a gigabit switch connected to my Orbi Main Router which further connects 5 Satellite Nodes, each placed on separate floors. I have multiple devices across my network, so main router might always stay busy.

Shall I connect my ethernet devices such as TVs, desktops, alexas via a switch to the Satellite of that floor or connect them all directly to the Main Router via a larger switch?

@Orbi @Mesh @Home @HomeWiFi @lan @switch 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Either would work. 

It'd basically come down to what is easiest/cheapest for you. 

Message 2 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@plemans wrote:

Either would work. 

It'd basically come down to what is easiest/cheapest for you. 

...and how much performance resp. bandwidth you expect for each of these wired devices.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

5-8 port unmanaged gigabit switches are pretty cheap to use 🙂 

I've got a couple around my place on several of my runs. Works well. 

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What model Orbi system do you have? 

@Parth_Goyal wrote:

I have a gigabit switch connected to my Orbi Main Router which further connects 5 Satellite Nodes, each placed on separate floors. I have multiple devices across my network, so main router might always stay busy.

Shall I connect my ethernet devices such as TVs, desktops, alexas via a switch to the Satellite of that floor or connect them all directly to the Main Router via a larger switch?

Message 5 of 7
Parth_Goyal
Aspirant

I'll be using orbi AX6000. Network traffic management is my prioritization.

Thanks!

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

IF the RBR is going to be the main host router then you can put a larger port switch behind the RBR. I have 24pt behind mine for the main house network. I also hava a smaller 8 port switch that runs a different segment behind my RBR which all of my DISH Hopper and Joey system runs on along with services to the basement RBS and roommate that lives there and with an xbox there. 

IF your giong to wired up your RBS to the RBR, reivew this: https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...
NG GS-105/108v4, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series switches work for Orbi systems.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7