Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Orbi RBR850 is not compatible with Apple iCloud Private Relay

bubbub
Aspirant

Netgear Orbi RBR850 is not compatible with Apple iCloud Private Relay

My updated Apple MacBook running macOS12 (beta) is reporting my router is incompatiible with iCloud private relay. This is a new privacy feature for Apple products. I imagine Netgear is aware of this new feature and hope the firmware supports Apple initiative soon.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear Orbi RBR850 is not compatible with Apple iCloud Private Relay

File a bug report to Apple using the feedback and let Apple know about this. Something they need to look at. 

@bubbub wrote:

My updated Apple MacBook running macOS12 (beta) is reporting my router is incompatiible with iCloud private relay. This is a new privacy feature for Apple products. I imagine Netgear is aware of this new feature and hope the firmware supports Apple initiative soon.

Message 2 of 10
bubbub
Aspirant

Thanks for your response and suggestion. Since I am using a beta service on a beta OS (macOS12), I have and will describe my experiences with these Apple systems via their feedback conduits. Since I haven't seen reference to QUIC on Netgear reference material I think its proper to ask Netgear about how they plan to support this exciting privacy initiative.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Something Apple and NG will have to work out. 

Message 4 of 10
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @bubbub

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We'll have the information forwarded to our product teams.

May we please know the firmware version installed? 

For Circle and SPC, we are already working on a solution for this. Here's a reference KB link: https://kb.netgear.com/000064018/

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 5 of 10
raven_au
Virtuoso

@bubbub wrote:

Thanks for your response and suggestion. Since I am using a beta service on a beta OS (macOS12), I have and will describe my experiences with these Apple systems via their feedback conduits. Since I haven't seen reference to QUIC on Netgear reference material I think its proper to ask Netgear about how they plan to support this exciting privacy initiative.

The Apple initiative I've heard of sounds more like privacy invasion to me.

Just what do you think Negerar needs to do for QUIC?

There might be in kernel Linux support at some point but existing routers are unlikely to update their kernels so it's use will be a bit slower than it could be if, in fact, there is anything on the router itself that needs to use it which is very unlikely.

Message 6 of 10
rior
Tutor

Flagging I have the same issue on an iPhone on iOS 15. iCloud private relay does not work on my RBR50 router (latest firmware) but it does work on 4G and also a TP-Link router I tried.
Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 8 of 10
bubbub
Aspirant

The RBR850 is running 
V3.2.18.1_1.4.14

This issue is not yet consistantly repeatable. I received the error after applying the most recent BETA to my MacBookPro (12 Beta (21A5506j)) and upon upgrading my iPhone to iOS 15 (19A356). I received the error as a notification the first time. I have not seen that notifaction again. After power cycling the devices with Private Relay or Address enabled, the first attempt to load an uncached webpage seems to work fine, currently. Earlier, as I switched iCloud Private Relay (MacBookPro)  or "Private Address" (IPhone 12) OFF and ON, I would I note network disconnects with some instances, but not with others. I gave each instance time to reconnect to the wireless network before observinbg results.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Since you saw this after applying the OSX Beta, would be something to file a feedback report to Apple about. Let them now what worked before and now it's not. You on a beta and thats Apples realm. 

@bubbub wrote:

The RBR850 is running 
V3.2.18.1_1.4.14

This issue is not yet consistantly repeatable. I received the error after applying the most recent BETA to my MacBookPro (12 Beta (21A5506j)) and upon upgrading my iPhone to iOS 15 (19A356). I received the error as a notification the first time. I have not seen that notifaction again. After power cycling the devices with Private Relay or Address enabled, the first attempt to load an uncached webpage seems to work fine, currently. Earlier, as I switched iCloud Private Relay (MacBookPro)  or "Private Address" (IPhone 12) OFF and ON, I would I note network disconnects with some instances, but not with others. I gave each instance time to reconnect to the wireless network before observinbg results.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7