Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI AX4200/RBK753S vs 3rd Gen Echo Dot

Kzoom
Aspirant

ORBI AX4200/RBK753S vs 3rd Gen Echo Dot

Bought this system a few months back, just got it installed mid-August.

AX4200/RBK753S - Wifi6 Router and two satellites

Firmware on the Orbi is v4.6.3.16_2.0.51

Changed the name to match my old SSID, but updated the password to be a bit more secure.

Everything has come back online, some manually, because of the new password, some automatically, like my 1st Gen Echo Dot.

Got this system because I have a earlier (2 yr old), similar model at another place. Easy to set up, bomb-proof, and the mesh works better than the hub and spoke I' had here.

My wife has fallen in love with the 3rd Gen Echo Dot I had set up there.

Set up was easy-peazy. "Can you set one up for me at the house?"

Yes dear. Easy duty.

Not so with this system. 3rd Gen Echo refused to connect. to RBK753S

I ended up following the instructions on this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6/RBK753S-Alex-Echo-Gen-3/td-p/1969194

And the point at which the Echo finally worked was when I turned off the AX on both frequencies.

Didn't work to just turn off the 2.4G freq. Had to turn off the 5GHz too.

Just to check, once I got it working, I went back and enabled the AX for 5GHz, went out to the room where it was playing, and about ten secs later, red light, "Unable to connect to the internet."

NOTE: That link above is from TWO F'ING YEARS AGO. And no one at Netgear or at Amazon has done anything about this.

And from what I read on that thread, 'AX' (gonna have to learn what that is) is the whole point to this Wifi 6 feature.

I DID mention that my 1st Gen Echo didn't even burp when I changed the password for the new system, right? We used to call the new behavior a 'deprovement,' but I'm not sure if it's at Amazon or at Netgear.

Wonder how many other Amazon devices won't connect to this system with its default settings (AX enabled)?

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: ORBI AX4200/RBK753S vs 3rd Gen Echo Dot

I've got the RBK752 (same model with 1 less satellite) and several echo dot 3rd gens connected to it. 

With AX running. No issues. 

Plus I've got multiple other device from amazon connected to it. Echo show 10, dots-V1, v2, V3, fire stick, echo link.

Not a single issue.

Have you checked what firmware the dot is running? 

What modem/gateway are you connecting the orbi to? 

using any special characters/spaces in the password (shouldn't matter but stranger things have happened)

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7