Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Verizon GB Fios...expectations for Orbi WIFI speeds?

cabchop
Tutor

Verizon GB Fios...expectations for Orbi WIFI speeds?

Hello.

I have the latest firmware for my RBR850.  My current Verizon fios plan is the 1 gig up/down plan.  I am not using the provided G3100 router from FIOS.  I have the ONT plugged directly into the RBR850.  I tested speed through a direct LAN connection on the RBR from my laptop and the results were terrific. 910/910.  Unfortunately, I cannot get my wireless speeds past 330, regardless of the device.  I've used iPhone 11 (wifi6), ipad pro (wifi5), and various other WIFI 5 devices to run these tests.  The Orbi app shows the devices connected on the 5Ghz chennel.  I've been using Speedtest app and Fast (app) for testing.  The highest speeds I can reach are just north of 300.  These test are done with no satelite connected and me standing 5-8 feet from the RBR850.  Testing further (30-40 feet) away lowers WIFI speeds to 200.  Does this sound right?  My expectations maybe off, but for the price (FIOS internet plus Orbi RBR850 series), I would think WIFI 6/5 should result in speeds north of 500?   

I've read the speed posts about the preamble. thresholds, channels, interference, etc. and have been unable to alter the results.  I'm wondering if I should reconnect the G3100 router and test speeds with the same devices/proximity.

I'd be curious to hear from anyone that uses Verizon fios/orbi ...... with or without the G3100.  Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Verizon GB Fios...expectations for Orbi WIFI speeds?

Most iphones and WiFi 5 devices will max out at around 400-500Mbps due to the antenna design, 2x2. Even my 12 Max gets around 400 to 500ish speeds. I have a Asus GT-AX11000 router that is 4x4 that I can use as a wireless client and it can get 900Mpbs speeds. Connection rate between the Orbi AX and the Asus is around 1800Mpbs  as well. Something my 12 Max phone doesn't get. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7