Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Anyone received theirs yet?

mgdurand1
Luminary

Anyone received theirs yet?

I ask because I took the plunge Tuesday as soon as the email hit my mailbox.  Paid for expedited shipping with expected delivery date (but not guaranteed) of today.  Fed-X 1 day shipping "once shipped".

Nothing today.  Called and inquired and they said should be out and on its way today and arriving tomorrow.

A check of the order shows still in the warehouse at 2:44 pm today (9/20/23)..

I feel that when I pay $2,500.00 for a product as well as expedited shipping then actual shipment should be a bit more accurate than so far.

Hence my curiosity as to whether anyone has received their WiFi 7 Orbi system yet.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
mgdurand1
Luminary

Well, at 4:55 pm got a note from Netgear that my order would arrive tomorrow morning by Fed-X.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10

All Replies
mgdurand1
Luminary

Well, at 4:55 pm got a note from Netgear that my order would arrive tomorrow morning by Fed-X.  Thanks!

Message 2 of 10
SoMoney
Tutor

Mine showed up a couple of days ago.   1st impression were "I can't believe how heavy the box is", this cant be my wireless router...

Sure enough, there was a Netgear sticker on the box so I opened it up and found the packaging was pretty well thought out.  Not Apple quality but definitely influenced by... 

Setup was a bit of a PITA when the app connected to the router yet told me It couldnt configure it.  😕 

About 5 power cycles later (Dont bump the power plug its janky), I finally got my phone to configure and update the router.

Good luck, I'll pray for you... 

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

@SoMoney wrote:

Mine showed up a couple of days ago.   1st impression were "I can't believe how heavy the box is", this cant be my wireless router...

Sure enough, there was a Netgear sticker on the box so I opened it up and found the packaging was pretty well thought out.  Not Apple quality but definitely influenced by... 

Setup was a bit of a PITA when the app connected to the router yet told me It couldnt configure it.  😕 

About 5 power cycles later (Dont bump the power plug its janky), <What does this mean? 

Message 4 of 10
SoMoney
Tutor

About 5 power cycles later (Don't bump the power plug its janky), <What does this mean? 

The 1st word that came to mind when seeing this behavior was I lot more descriptive but not suitable for young ears.    Netgear ORBI uses an unusually wide DC Power Barrel adapter(Old Dell Laptops Had this issue until they added a center pin to stabilize and ensure constant 20vdc -/+ connection).   I discovered that twisting, tilting, picking up, or pretty much moving either ORBI unit to add ethernet or check power/link status was causing the units to briefly lose connectivity and power cycle.   I guess you could call it faulty but as long as you treat the ORBI like a delicate expensive crystal baby you're fine... 

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for the clarification. 

Message 6 of 10
mgdurand1
Luminary

Mine made it in and the install was really simple: much easier than I thought it would be.  One caveat: I tried using the app and it was a bust.  Used the web and went much smoother.  The router and two sats perform as well and in certain instances better than my previous WiFi 6 system with 5 sats  Most pleasant discovery is the performance with my Ring doorbell system.  Ring 3+ and 4 cams.  Ring doorbell previously pretty much stayed at 60 RSSI no matter where I placed a sat.  Even tried next to the window right by the outside doorbell.  No joy.  The new system hooks in at 42 or so and stays there for the better part of 4 days so far.  An occasional 55 (once actually) but generally much better results.  So yes, pricey, but hell ... I'm 71 and deserve a treat every now and then <g>.  For me worth the price (at least so far - may still engender crotchety phase in the future, of course).

Message 7 of 10
farmrt88
Star

Thanks for the summary.  Regarding the Ring 3 Plus Doorbell and Ring Cameras - are these connected to 2.4Ghz or 5.0Ghz with better performance, and what was the previous WIFI system before the Orbi 970?

Thanks!

Message 8 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@SoMoney wrote:

About 5 power cycles later (Don't bump the power plug its janky), <What does this mean? 

The 1st word that came to mind when seeing this behavior was I lot more descriptive but not suitable for young ears.    Netgear ORBI uses an unusually wide DC Power Barrel adapter(Old Dell Laptops Had this issue until they added a center pin to stabilize and ensure constant 20vdc -/+ connection).   I discovered that twisting, tilting, picking up, or pretty much moving either ORBI unit to add ethernet or check power/link status was causing the units to briefly lose connectivity and power cycle.   I guess you could call it faulty but as long as you treat the ORBI like a delicate expensive crystal baby you're fine... 

Unusually wide? Isn't this the same narrow, but certainly not small AC power adapter as coming with other bigger Netgear devices: 

Model : AD2003F10
SKU: 216292
Part Number: AD2003F10
NETGEAR AD2003F10 AC Adapter

Netgear 19V 3.16A DC Power Supply.jpg

Yes, I could understand why these bricks are (under some conditions) nor ideal. I would prefer something with a simple (detachable) power cord on the AC side, However, it appears cost is a major factor in the design here.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Not the same Power Supply. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements