Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Once a day or twice a day, the router loses connection to the internet

Acerun
Guide

Once a day or twice a day, the router loses connection to the internet

Once a day or twice a day, the router loses connection to the internet and I have to unplug and replug the router. I spoke to tech support and they said this is a known issue and they provided me with new beta software which has not solved the problem.

Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
Straq
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @FURRYe38 ,

We can mark this issue as solves. In contact with this user on a daily basis and main issue he was encountering is fixed. Issue was due to Pixel 8 Pro crashing his network in V9.10.0.2.

As long as users are in V9.10.2.3 or onwards, Pixel 8 will not crash the system anymore 

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 17

All Replies
Acerun
Guide

I too am looking at my options for return. When it is running it runs like a Ferrari but like a race car it also breaks down a lot and can cause very inopportune problems. It has already crashed once during my wife's conference calls and God help it if it ever does that to me during one of mine. Stable internet is money in my business and this is starting to look like anti-money

Message 2 of 17
Acerun
Guide

My RBR50 with a fiber connection still gave me 250 to 500 downloads, and it never, I mean never went down... I could go on vacation for months and come back and it's singing along . Maybe that's just fine for speed. Seeing 1100 on my cell phone is exciting but not at the cost of stability.

Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the front LED turn PINK when this happens? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 
How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

Does this happen with the RBS turned OFF? 
Does this happen with both wireless and wired devices? 
What channel configurations are currently set on the router?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last BETA FW update? If not, please try this.

Message 4 of 17
Straq
NETGEAR Expert

Hello there,

Engineering Team here.  Which firmware did Support give you? 

Message 5 of 17
Acerun
Guide

10 1.3
Message 6 of 17
Acerun
Guide

You've got to be kidding if you think a consumer is going to go through those hoops
Message 7 of 17
Acerun
Guide

Does not turn pink. Just blinks white when it loses connection.

Using monoprice Cat8 cable.

ATT fiber new install always runs green connection with AT&T modem.

You can't charge thousands of dollars and throw all this troubleshooting on the consumer... Your stock is going to tank.
Message 8 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Trying to help you out is all...If you don't feel it's beneficial, please return the system to place of purchase.

Good Luck.

Message 9 of 17
Acerun
Guide

Two full systems are packed up and sitting on my doorstep to be returned. The consumer shouldn't go through this especially at this price point.

NBS AT&T BGW-320 500 is the unit

Message 10 of 17
Acerun
Guide

And it has zero problems with the RBR50
Message 11 of 17
Straq
NETGEAR Expert

Hi

Really sorry for your terrible experience and cannot agree more that you should not go through this. Please assure that we will like to resolve your issue. Please check your inbox for a message, we will like to get this resolved ASAP.

Message 12 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Try option 2 first.

Message 13 of 17
Acerun
Guide

"configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem". Not sure I understand this, do you mean change the DHCP to a fixed private IP that gets passed?

If I turn off the wifi then I can't access the modem via the smart home manager app.
Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

The IP address that the RBR is getting from the ISP modem? Put this IP address in to the modems DMZ or IP Pass thru feature.

Message 15 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

Might update if you see this, if you haven't already:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-7-BE-Mesh-Systems/New-RBE970-RBE971-Firmware-V9-10-4-1-1-...

@Acerun wrote:

Once a day or twice a day, the router loses connection to the internet and I have to unplug and replug the router. I spoke to tech support and they said this is a known issue and they provided me with new beta software which has not solved the problem.

Message 16 of 17
Straq
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @FURRYe38 ,

We can mark this issue as solves. In contact with this user on a daily basis and main issue he was encountering is fixed. Issue was due to Pixel 8 Pro crashing his network in V9.10.0.2.

As long as users are in V9.10.2.3 or onwards, Pixel 8 will not crash the system anymore 

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7