× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi 970 6 GHz WLAN Backhaul RxPkts 0

tomasrb
Aspirant

Orbi 970 6 GHz WLAN Backhaul RxPkts 0

I'm running firmware version V9.11.1.1_1.2.2 with Orbi 970 (RBE973SB), router with 2 satellites.  In the connection statistics I'm noticing that the 5ghz backhaul is showing Txpkts/Rxpkts activity but the 6ghz backhaul is only showing TxPkts activity but RxPkts is stuck at 0.  Is the 6ghz backhaul working correctly?

Screenshot below:

Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 8.41.01 PM.png

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi 970 6 GHz WLAN Backhaul RxPkts 0

Most likely it is and the placement and distances of the RBS are picking the 5Ghz BH vs 6Ghz. 

Are you seeing 5+6Ghz for the connection status between the RBR and RBS? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router 📡 and satellite(s)🛰️? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR 📡 and RBS 🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Most likely it is and the placement and distances of the RBS are picking the 5Ghz BH vs 6Ghz. 

Are you seeing 5+6Ghz for the connection status between the RBR and RBS? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router 📡 and satellite(s)🛰️? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR 📡 and RBS 🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Message 2 of 6
tomasrb
Aspirant

Home is ~3,000 sq ft. all one level. One satellite is about 20 feet and the other 30 feet away from the router.  Both satellites are showing 5GHZ + 6GHZ connection type since I set them up a few days ago (screenshots below).  In the web interface the connection type matches 5GHZ + 6GHZ and has status of Good.

Should I try putting one satellite closer to the router for a few hours to see if I that increases 6GHZ rxpkts activity and rule out building material interference?

IMG_4540.PNGIMG_4539.PNG

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes and then I would turn OFF one RBS as well. 

3000k Sq Feet maybe too small for having two RBS deployed. 

Message 4 of 6
tomasrb
Aspirant

Thanks for the help 🙏! As soon as I moved a satellite into the same room as the router I started seeing RxPkts on the 6GHz backhaul.

Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 5.43.16 PM.png

Even though the satellites are closer than 30 feet I think the L shaped house + building material + number of walls between router/satellites are likely preventing a stable 6GHZ connection? (router is in the corner of the L and satellites are in each arm of the L)

I'm supporting some outdoor iot devices on different sides of the house (outdoor space is over 10,000 sq ft).  Some of those devices have medium/low signal quality with the 2 satellite layout so I'm thinking in this case this larger system might be a good fit?

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

The observation is correct.  6GHz WiFi signals (a) diminish more with distance then 5G signals, and (b) do not penetrate material as well as 5G signals.

Thus it appears to be a trade-off between (a) the area covered with adequate WiFi for user devices vs (b) the transmission rate between router and satellite(s).  My guess is that it will be difficult to observe any practical difference between 5G and 6G backhaul links. A Video will play only so fast.  A web page may download 0.2 sec faster over a 6G backhaul.

My vote would be for WiFi coverage area.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7