Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi 970 Constants Reboots - Solved!!! (Router overheating is the cause)

kjx
Initiate
Initiate

Orbi 970 Constants Reboots - Solved!!! (Router overheating is the cause)

I bought a Orbi 970 system with two satellites in mid-February. Had it hooked up to a 5-Gig symmetric internet service.

Didn't have any issues for weeks as I only put a few devices on it while others sat connected to my older routers that were subnetting from the Orbi 970. As I slowly started moving devices over to the Orbi 970 network, random reboots started occuring.

I've followed all the thread here, Reddit, etc. and did everything to solve it without reaching out to support:

- Full reset twice.

- Bought a third satellite (so now router + 3).

- Wired all satellites to the router instead of using WiFi backhaul. (remove WiFi backhaul issues from the picture)

- Reconfigured WiFi channels used carefully to avoid overlaps with other routers I have + possible neighbor routers.

- Even had smart plugs turn off the router and satellites at 3 AM every day, and bring them back online in order (router first, and then satellites a few minutes later).

The reboots sometimes happened once an hour when the system seemed to be under what should be normal load. My wife was laughing at me constantly for the poor reliability of something that's set me back $3K+.

Applied all my engineering thinking to it, until one day, saw a thread where someone suggested that router overheating may be the cause and that they bought USB based fans from Amazon to put them over the router unit.

This sort of made sense because I did not have this problem when only a few (4-5) of my devices were configured to connect to it. First I put an Airthings sensor above the router to measure heat. Airthings showed external temperatures at 94.3 F at peak and an average of 91 F. The operating temperature for RBR maxes at 104 so it was plausible that the internals were coming close to that. The ambient temperature (room temperature) when all this was happening was between 68 and 72 F.

Fans arrive (all of $18), have them running in series on top of the router - boom, temperatures at Airthings right above the router drop to 74 F. I left the Airthings there - the highest I've seen is around 80 F. Everything's stable immediately - up and running for 5 days+ like perfection.

The real questions here:

- Do those of us who have this issue have defective units (poor thermal paste application on the processor)? I live in a colder area so I am sure people in hotter states are very likely to hit this more often.

- Is this a design issue? I.e. the fan on the unit is not powerful enough and pushing out heat. It's obvious a stronger fan is all that's needed.

- Do I care to ask for support and RMA? I don't know - I've the support subscription paid for.

My goal of posting this here is 2 things - (1) give people facing this a clear answer - empathetically excited to share this given my frustration for weeks prior to this, (2) get thoughts on what I should do?

- I could do an RMA and see what temps the unit puts out in the exact same setup without extra fans outside.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
kjx
Initiate
Initiate

Re: Orbi 970 Constants Reboots - Solved!!! (Router overheating is the cause)

Netgear opened a support case on their own seeing this thread and reached out to me.

Gave them all the details they asked for to help them investigate.

Hopefully this leads to a solution that helps future adopters of this hardware have a seamless experience because the Orbi 970 is spectacularly good outside of this. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd contact NG support to let them know about this:

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx
https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx
Then clicking on "Get answers about NETGEAR products before I buy" then clicking on "Networking for Home" then "Chat with us".

Have not seen other post about failures with heating. There is no internal fan.

I also keep a fan under any router I have online as well. 

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

There is no internal fan.

Absolutely correct.  The fcc filing "Internal Photos" show no evidence of any kind of fan.  (There also do not appear to be huge openings for air flow.)

https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/PY323100585/6590303 

https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/PY323100585/6590304 

While it would be quite a chore to RMA the 971 router and measure the temperature rise of another unit, it would be fascinating to see if there is a difference.  Ambient temperature of 72 degrees should be well within the design specifications for a residential router.  (One might be tempted to assume that the router can function with ambient temperature as high as (103 degrees?)

Manufacturing defects can happen. (Plan to fly a Boeing jet?)  It strains credibility that Netgear engineers designed a product that would overheat at 72 degrees ambient temperature.

Message 3 of 5
kjx
Initiate
Initiate

Netgear opened a support case on their own seeing this thread and reached out to me.

Gave them all the details they asked for to help them investigate.

Hopefully this leads to a solution that helps future adopters of this hardware have a seamless experience because the Orbi 970 is spectacularly good outside of this. 

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep us posted on any progress. 

Ya, been a concern of mine as well. 10Gb ports and such will generate higher internal temps. Why I always keep a fan running. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7