Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Options for network/mesh upgrade

drafferty
Aspirant

Options for network/mesh upgrade

Hello

I have an older network/mesh system AC3000 with RBK50(1 router and 2 satellites) plus RBS50Y. What would be a good noticeable upgrade and are upgrades to new systems easy? Do newer systems download or import settings from older network?

Thoughts

Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: Options for network/mesh upgrade

I'm a fan of the RBK50 series. They work great. I didn't notice much difference going from my 50 series to the RBK750 series. I did going to the rbke963 series but that's a huge cost difference. And a lot depends on what your device is. Its not usually the router that is the bottleneck in speeds but your phone/tablet/computer. 

What are you looking at upgrading to? 

Or are you just needing more speed? 

What are you using it for to need more speed? 

Message 2 of 11
drafferty
Aspirant

As you stat I think it's the modem which is only rated at 120mbs but I get over 220. Cable company recommends an upgrade on that hardware which will support upto 1Gb but the basic servive I would recieve would still be 300mbs. With just swapping out the modem I should see some difference.

thoughts

Message 3 of 11
drafferty
Aspirant

overall , more coverage and at times tv streaming spins. I adding another rbs50 to other side of house along with the rbs50y out on patio.

use for streaming tv and some gaming.

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What's the SQFT size of your home and how many levels is it? 

Message 5 of 11
drafferty
Aspirant

simple 1 floor, 2400

Message 6 of 11
drafferty
Aspirant

5 tvs, ps4, number ipad, iphone, 2 androids, 4 computers, 5 cameras and 3 alexa devices.

to call out what connects

Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

The 50 series should handle 300mbps without much isssue. I tested my 50 series on 100/300/500/1gig service and didn't see it start being the bottleneck until around that 500mbps. (over wifi) 

sometimes, they can be to close together or have to many. 

Also, sometimes things in the walls like hvac/plumbing/etc can cause wifi blocking. Have you tried moving the satellites around a little? 

Are any of your tv's hardwired in? They're a bit more sensitive because a lot of time, people are streaming live broadcasts/tv and that'll cause buffering. have you noticed issues with specific apps buffering more than others? 

Message 8 of 11
drafferty
Aspirant

Yes, need to pay more attion within the app as one can see the devices connected to the satellite or router. Strange how the router will pick up farther devices then the satellite. Need to get familiar to the app. Wonder if one can force to specific satellite or just let it do it's thing? TVs are not hard wired but I'm thinking of doing that.

Thanks for all the questions and help.

Right now for sure I dont think i need to upgrade the mesh network  but still curious if a new modem would be a good option.

Message 9 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@drafferty wrote:

Yes, need to pay more attention within the app as one can see the devices connected to the satellite or router. Strange how the router will pick up farther devices then the satellite. Need to get familiar to the app. Wonder if one can force to specific satellite or just let it do it's thing? TVs are not hard wired but I'm thinking of doing that.

Right now for sure I dont think i need to upgrade the mesh network  but still curious if a new modem would be a good option.

Devices connecting to an access point that clearly seems inappropriate has been a constant frustration for owners of mesh WiFi systems.  No, there is no option to force a device to connect to a specific node.  I have been able to get devices to change their connection by turning them off (completely.  for example, turning a television off does not drop the WiFi connection).  When they power up again, they often 'find a better node' by themselves.

My sense is that you are in the same situation as I am.

• My internet service is not fast enough to overwhelm the RBR50.
  • I have zero devices that support WiFi6 (802.11ax) or the 6G WiFi band (WiFi6E)
    (Even if my next cell phone or laptop support WiFi6 or WiFi6E, is it worth spending so much to get one device to (maybe) run a bit faster?  Would I even notice a difference?
  • Since none of my existing satellites will work as satellites with the AX routers, a change is what we used to call a "fork lift upgrade".
Message 10 of 11
drafferty
Aspirant

curious if you can move a device from one satellite to another?

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7