Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow wifi speeds when using Orbi AC3000 (RBR50 and 2 RBS50) and Arris SB8200 Cable Modem

slow_wifi_speed
Aspirant

Slow wifi speeds when using Orbi AC3000 (RBR50 and 2 RBS50) and Arris SB8200 Cable Modem

Hi, I have a very unique and frustrating issue which I am hoping to resolve. I don’t believe that I am the only one facing this issue so I hope my post will help others also. My current problem is; my WIFI is very slow or significantly slower than the service plan I have subscribed to. I am posting the following problem on the xfinity board, Netgear Orbi support and Arris SB8200 support board. I’m hoping that we can isolate the root cause of my slow WIFI / internet speed and be able to leverage the full amount I am paying every month. Background information I currently have 7 devices around the house consisting of; iPhones, ipads, smart TV, XBOX, personal and work computers. I currently have subscribed to the xfinity internet service with the Blast. This plan outlines internet speeds of 250 MBPS download and 10 MBPS upload. I have the Arris SB8200 cable modem, and the Orbi AC3000 (RBR50 router and 2 RBS50 Satellites). The Orbi Router is connected to the SB8200 Cable Modem. Performance statistics When I connect my MacBook Pro computer (via hard RJ45 Cat5e cable) to the SB8200 cable modem, I am able to achieve internet speeds of 250+ MBPS download and 10+ MBPS uploads. This is the perfect world. When I connect my MacBook Pro computer (via RJ45 Cat5e cable) to the Orbi router, I am only able to achieve internet speeds of 35 MBPS download and 10-11 MBPS upload. This is not the perfect world. When I connect my MacBook pro computer via WIFI I am only able to achieve internet speeds of 35 MBPS download and 10-11 MBPS upload. This is not the perfect world. It appears that all these devices are not working well together. Is there something that I can adjust to help me achieve the 250 MBPS speed that I am paying for on a monthly basis? I am happy to provide any supporting information to work through this issue. Any help or advise anybody can provide would be greatly appreciated. Yours truly, Frustrated user
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Slow wifi speeds when using Orbi AC3000 (RBR50 and 2 RBS50) and Arris SB8200 Cable Modem

What version of FW is the system using currently?

I would suggest upgrading to the beta and retest again:

The first wave to be released are only for the RBR50 and RBS50, which is used in the RBK50 and RBK53 (Costco) kits.
New beta FW avaialble. Get it while its hot of the press:

Please perform a factory reset on the satellite and router and set up from scratch. Don't set up or touch QOS, Traffic Meter or Access Controls. Run a ethernet connected PC speed test first. 

Message 2 of 10
slow_wifi_speed
Aspirant

Thank you for the quick reply.  My FW for all devices is v2.0.1.4

I have never performed a FW update.  Is this hard to complete?  and do I have to update each 3 devices seperately?  Just looking for some assessment of the level of technical skills needed and time to perform the upgrade.

Thank you for your help.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Please review the linked information. IT will guide you thru doing a FW update. 

I after the FW has been loaded, I recommend doing a factory reset on the router and Satellite(s) then set up from scratch. 

Message 4 of 10
Baris
Tutor

Hi,

I'm also having problems with low wifi speed with the AC3000. I have a 1Gigabit plan and when using cable with the router, I can see speed rates on appr. 800mbit however when turning to wi-fi, the speed drops to appr. 200-250 mbit. I'm using the latest FW 2.1.4.16. Have tried with speedtest and bredbandskollen.se (swedish site) and get the same result. Please advise!

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Wifi speeds will not be attained any where near 900Mb. Max limitation on Wifi in ideal or optimal conditions are currently around 400-500Mb depending upon client side device HW design and support. You'll have to contact the Mfr of your devices to see what there actual wifi speed thruput is.

@Baris wrote:

Hi,

I'm also having problems with low wifi speed with the AC3000. I have a 1Gigabit plan and when using cable with the router, I can see speed rates on appr. 800mbit however when turning to wi-fi, the speed drops to appr. 200-250 mbit. I'm using the latest FW 2.1.4.16. Have tried with speedtest and bredbandskollen.se (swedish site) and get the same result. Please advise!

Message 6 of 10
Baris
Tutor

HI Furrye38 and thanks for the reply.

I've continued my tests and there's a remarkable inconsitency when it comes to performance. Over the last 2 days, my wifi speed has been around 60-70 mbit/s on a 1Gigabit plan. Did a factory reset which seemed to "solve" the issue and I could see speeds up to 500-600 mbit/s, however now it's back to 60 mbit and that can't be expected..

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What are the wired speed test results after a couple of days?

What channels are you using? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

@Baris wrote:

HI Furrye38 and thanks for the reply.

I've continued my tests and there's a remarkable inconsitency when it comes to performance. Over the last 2 days, my wifi speed has been around 60-70 mbit/s on a 1Gigabit plan. Did a factory reset which seemed to "solve" the issue and I could see speeds up to 500-600 mbit/s, however now it's back to 60 mbit and that can't be expected..

Message 8 of 10
Num1willis
Aspirant

Did you ever get it solved. I’ve had the same problem for the past year. Inconsistent speeds.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

If the system was AutoUpdated, Try a Manual FW load:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

@Num1willis wrote:
Did you ever get it solved. I’ve had the same problem for the past year. Inconsistent speeds.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7