Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wired devices not connecting

phildeez
Tutor

Wired devices not connecting

I have an Orbi 960 with two satellites.  After firmware upgrade I had many issues. I've since done a hard reset with latest firmware and setting up from scratch.  Currently I only have the Orbi router setup (no satellites) with VLAN bridging 201 to bypass ISP modem.  All wifi connections work great but anything plugged directly into the Orbi does not work.  For example PS5 and MacBook connected via ethernet do not work. When I connect those same devices wirelessly they work fine. Any thoughts on configuration?   Also what are the optimal settings for home use (guests, streaming, wifi, wired, etc)?

Message 1 of 9
phildeez
Tutor

Re: Wired devices not connecting

Update: the far right Ethernet port works but the others as you go left do not work. I believe the 2.5G backhaul is not working either.

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. CAT6A STP depending on your modem.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Have you contacted NG support about a RMA yet? 

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@phildeez wrote:

VLAN bridging 201 to bypass ISP modem.

Page 92 of the RBRE960 user manual describes using VLAN:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBKE963/RBRE960_RBSE960_UM_EN.pdf 

The purpose is to bypass the Orbi router Network Address Translation (NAT) process, not to bypass the modem.  Packets going to those ports will be addressed to the public IP address of the router, not the LAN (translated) IP address of individual devices.

Having never subscribed to an Internet Service Provider (ISP) that uses VLAN to support IPTV (nor having ever had an IPTV, either), I have no personal experience with how using this VLAN capability affects other devices connected to Ethernet ports that have been set up as described in the user manual.

Probably a good place to start is:

• Which ports are designated as VLAN 201?
  • Do you actually have an IPTV that requires VLAN 201?

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 5 of 9
WiFiplease
Aspirant

Hello, where you able to fix this issue. I'm having same. WiFi all work great but not the ports.

Message 6 of 9
phildeez
Tutor

After several tests with support we determined that the physical ports were faulty and had to RMA a new device.
Message 7 of 9
WiFiplease
Aspirant

I had same issue but it was set to try and use the 2.5 as a backhaul after a manual update to the newest firmware and setting only as 10G they are all working now.
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the new RMA unit working now? 

@phildeez wrote:
After several tests with support we determined that the physical ports were faulty and had to RMA a new device.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7