× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't change untagged VLAN on GS752TP with 6.0.1.18 Firmware

arrialive
Aspirant

Can't change untagged VLAN on GS752TP with 6.0.1.18 Firmware

I have 2 GS752TP Switches in the office, switch #1 is running 6.0.1.18 switch #2 is running 6.0.1.16.

I have the 3 default VLANs on each switch, and then 8 additional VLANs that I'd added.

With the exception of the VLANs, the password, and setting up Network time, these switches are basically at factory default.

After adding the new VLANs I go into Switching->VLAN->Advanced->VLAN Membership

On Switch #1:

For my setup I need to set several of the ports to Untagged for VLANs other than VLAN 1. To start I'll go to say Port 1, and change it from U -> T. When I attempt to apply this change I get an error that "VLAN 1: VLAN was not created by the user". I get this same error when I try to make any change to VLAN 1, which means that I can set any VLAN other than VLAN 1 as the Untagged VLAN for the port.

On Switch #2:

I follow the same steps as above, and I'm allowed to save the changes for Port 1 VLAN 1. I can then go to VLAN 10 (one of the new ones I've created) and change Port 1 from ' ' -> U and then apply that change.

Setting changes between Switch #1 and #2 are the same as near as I can tell (both switches have been factory reset, then stepped through the configuration changes on each one, the only difference would be any difference between factor defaults on 6.0.1.18 and 6.0.1.16, I haven't seen any as I've gone through and looked).

I did read something that made me think I might need to disable Routing Mode with the latest firmware to make the changes to the VLAN I'm trying, so I tried that but still get the same error.

It doesn't appear that the switch can be downgraded to 6.0.1.16 because of the firmware updates for POE that came along with 6.0.1.18.

Any ideas why I can't change the Untagged VLAN for a port?

Thanks.

Model: GS752TPS(B)|ProSAFE 48-Port Gigabit Stackable Smart Switch with PoE and 4 SFP uplinks
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
arrialive
Aspirant

Re: Can't change untagged VLAN on GS752TP with 6.0.1.18 Firmware

Ah, foud it.

It appears that on the 6.0.1.18 version of the firmware to change the Untagged VLAN membership on the Netgear switch you need to go to the Port PVID Configutation and set the PVID to the Untagged VLAN you want. That will clear the Untagged setting from VLAN 1 on the VLAN Membership configuration, then you can set the VLAN you want as Untagged on the VLAN Membership configuration.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
arrialive
Aspirant

Re: Can't change untagged VLAN on GS752TP with 6.0.1.18 Firmware

Ah, foud it.

It appears that on the 6.0.1.18 version of the firmware to change the Untagged VLAN membership on the Netgear switch you need to go to the Port PVID Configutation and set the PVID to the Untagged VLAN you want. That will clear the Untagged setting from VLAN 1 on the VLAN Membership configuration, then you can set the VLAN you want as Untagged on the VLAN Membership configuration.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements