× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cant setup or configure GS108Ev3

Azorse
Aspirant

Cant setup or configure GS108Ev3

Forgive me, I'm sure my ignorace is showing. Purchased new and followed all the steps in installation guide until I couldn't configue the switch.

Insight reports no IP address and Switch is not accessable
Switch Discovery Tool can find the switch states its IP address but cannot access Admin page, times out
ProSafe Plus also sees the switch but has a different IP address. This location also times out and if I try to manually change the IP settings it throws and error that the gateway and switch are on different subnets. 

Feeling lost and spend 2 hours on the phone with Netgear Support with no progress. They ran out of options and ended the call saying they would call me back at a later date.

The weird part is that I have an internet connection on my PC, that is plugged into the switch, and the router connected to the switch is broadcasting wifi, but my other devices like a smart tv have no connectivity.

Model: GS108Ev3|ProSafe 8 ports Gigabit Plus switch
Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Re: Cant setup or configure GS108Ev3

Assuming this GS108Ev3 is really a factory new device, all ports are active and are configured to work on that very same network. If the router does issue private LAN IP addresses by DHCP on the port where the switch is connected to, and the switch link LED show active links, one could assume all the connected devices are workable.

Possible issues are that the uplink port is configured to work for a special purpose, like bridging IPTV, like security requiring each device accepted on the router, ....

What IP address is assigned to the PC connected to the switch? Check the PC. Also check the PC that it's not configured to a fixed IP address, just in case. However, this is what you need to do if you want to access the switch. The example for Window is here https://kb.netgear.com/27476/How-do-I-set-a-static-IP-address-in-Windows (MacOS is referred on the KB, too). Put an IP address like 192.168.0.123 mask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.0.1 dns 192.168.0.1 and click apply. Ignore any suggestions for tests to Internet connectivity et all. Now you should be able to call http://192.168.0.239 on a web browser.

The question regarding to te switch IP address is different (probably). One would assume the switch would also be able to get a LAN IP address assigned from the router. If not, as for the above devices, they fall back to some default IPs, like the 192.168.0.239/24 for the switch. To reach this address
Message 2 of 5
Azorse
Aspirant

First thank you so much for knowledge on the subject.

The switch was advertised new and it was believable when I opened it up. When I connect other devices the leds do light up as if traffic is moving back and forth. The modem and my PC indicate they are both sending and receiving packets, where the other devices like Smart tv just indacte a link is established. The devices confirmed they have no internet access.

No idea how to change an uplink port or even check that.

My PC's Ip address doesn't start with 192, does that mean its not a part of my LAN? Again forgive my ignorance. My PC has a IP address starting with 73. When I run ipconfig/all I see that this IP address is preferred but i do not see the works Static or Drynamic. When I checked the TCP/IPv4 it says to assign automatically. This leads me to belive it's dynamic. On a side note my ARP table shows three dynamic addresses two starting with 73 and a thrid starting with 192. I can confirm that the 192 is my Netgear gateway. 

When i tried to manually set my LAN and then my "ethernet 2" network connections to the static address you suggested I was still unable to access the switch on my browser.

In an effort to minimize variables I've disconnected my router from the system as all my devices are wired. The wireless was just a convenience for company.  Hopefully this prevents multiple drives from trying to assign locations. 

Message 3 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Azorse 

Interesting. IP addresses starting with 73 are public. This means that your PC obtained an IP address from your ISP provider, not your router. I wonder how you've connected your devices. Your ISP modem should be connected to the WAN port of the router and the switch should be connected to one of the LAN ports of the router. 

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

The mix of public and private IP on the ARP table does indicate there is (by accident) a connection plugged between the WAN (eg. a cable modem with multiple ports) beside of the normal LAN connection to the network in general, probably to the newly added GS108Ev3.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements