× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Does the GS752TP require a Netgear cloud account to manage it locally?

Michael701
Aspirant

Does the GS752TP require a Netgear cloud account to manage it locally?

As the titel says. These switches look interesteing for a prject I have, but I have had issues in the past with Netgear requiring you have a Netgear cloud account just to manage the device on the LAN.  Is this the case with this switch?  Thanks.

Model: GS752TP|ProSafe 48 ports PoE Smart switch with 8 PoE+ ports
Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Does the GS752TP require a Netgear cloud account to manage it locally?

Recent firmware updates removed the enforced registration requirement, except for the effective cloud managed models (GCxxx). Out of the box, switches can contain firmware with this requirement, so use the max. three unrestricted logins to update and run a factory reset after doing so.

@Michael701 wrote:

These switches look interesteing for a prject I have, but I have had issues in the past with Netgear requiring you have a Netgear cloud account just to manage the device on the LAN. 

This wasn't some strange Netgear cloud account, there was no mandatory cloud implementation - some models earlier firmware enforced the product registration for warranty and support purposes.

Message 2 of 3
Michael701
Aspirant

Re: Does the GS752TP require a Netgear cloud account to manage it locally?

@schumaku wrote:

This wasn't some strange Netgear cloud account, there was no mandatory cloud implementation - some models earlier firmware enforced the product registration for warranty and support purposes.

The issue I had previously had nothing to do with registration. I bought some smaller switches (GS110TP) and a router,in Jul 2020, and was prohibited from managing them on the LAN through the web GUI, without every time inputting a Netgear company account username and password. If the switch was not connected to Internet (but still online on LAN), then I could not log in, at all, hard stop.The router let me log in using local crednetials, if I disconnected it from Internet.

Thanks for your advice on these other switches, I will do as you suggested.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements