× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Fix this in a firmware update for the GS108PEV3?

DominikHoffmann
Aspirant

Fix this in a firmware update for the GS108PEV3?

When people have originated posts here about not being able to reach the Gigabit Plus Switch Series (GS108PE) GS108PEV3 eight-port managed switch with PoE at its assumed IP address, I have seen responses like this:

Kindly try to disconnect the GS108PEv3 from the existing network.  Then, connect a PC directly to it.  Try to access its web-GUI using its default IP address which is 192.168.0.239 (if ever your switch has a static IP Address, use that instead).  You can also check if you can get replies when you ping the default IP Address of the switch.

Or:

All these switches revert to the default 192.168.0.239 IP address if the switch port to the router (with the DHCP server) is disconnected and reconnected, or the switch is restarted/rebooted - and the DHCP server does not honour the DHCP request.

Or:

This is a typical default behaviour of many embedded systems. If the DHCP client does not succeed getting an IP configuration within a reasonable time, the config does fail back to a default IP address, here the .239.

Since this happens a lot with this model, can’t a firmware update fix this? If it increased the length of the timeout for falling back on the 192.168.0.239 address, wouldn’t that solve the problem forever?

I imagine that this product is in a part of the release cycle, where it no longer receives firmware updates. However, there are a lot of people who have issues with this to this day. Nudge-nudge, Netgear! Or, rather, “Come on!”

Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: Fix this in a firmware update for the GS108PEV3?

@DominikHoffmann wrote:

Since this happens a lot with this model, can’t a firmware update fix this? If it increased the length of the timeout for falling back on the 192.168.0.239 address, wouldn’t that solve the problem forever?

I'm not Netgear, and not involved on design decisions, not even talking of spec changes. Proper design and implementation would be helpful.

If the device would allow to host a more capable client, I would prefer to see a Zero Config client along with the DHCP or read-in the config data. Defaulting to static IPs is depreciated. However, my understanding is that a more complex client implementation isn't possible considering the limited resources.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements