× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Fortigate VLAN to Netgear

tobannon
Aspirant

Fortigate VLAN to Netgear

Hey everyone, 

Apologies in advance for a elementary question but I'm stumped.

I have a Fortigate 80E and I'm trying to use Netgear switches with this.  

I've configured port 2 on the FG and I've connected a GS110TPv3 8-Port.  From there I have two PCs connected.

I've changed many options, removed, re-added the VLANs and I cannot get the PCs to connect to the WIRED vlan.

Fortigate p2 connected to Netgear Port 8

Netgear Port 3 connected to PC I'd like to be on VLAN 112.

tobannon_0-1650997460163.png

tobannon_1-1650997704470.png

I'm sure there is something I've misconfigured on the Netgear but I cannot figure this one out.

Thanks,

Todd

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Fortigate VLAN to Netgear

The is not much Netgear specific involved. On a trunk, one VLAN can be operated untagged (the PVID setting does define the VLAN where incoming untagged frames ar assigned to - this is the only Ntgr specific thing), all the other VLAN on a trunk must travel tagged.

The same applies to your security applianc for example, too.

To make the trunk work, both ends must be configured the very same way - this is standard.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

All I can see is that the Fortigate des know about the WIRED VLAN, and the Netgear switch has just (0ne!) port participating on that same VLAN.

No indication on how the Fortigate and the Netgear switch should handle the supposedly tagged VLANon the trunk making up the connection for both VLANs, while the basic VLAN does most likely run untagged (that's ok), an the added VLAN isn't configured on what IP s supposed to make up the trunk.
Message 2 of 4
tobannon
Aspirant

@schumaku Thanks for the reply.  I have very limited knowledge on Netgear and how they handle VLANs.  I made the assumption that if port 8 (uplink) knew about all of the VLANs (VLAN Membership) that I was advertising from the FGT then I could simply set the PVID to 112 on port 3 (laptop connected) and the computer would associate with that VLAN.

I have played around with specifically tagging (VLAN Tag field) that port to 112 and nothing I am doing will have that computer associate with VLAN 112.

I appreciate any insight you can give.

Best,

Todd

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

The is not much Netgear specific involved. On a trunk, one VLAN can be operated untagged (the PVID setting does define the VLAN where incoming untagged frames ar assigned to - this is the only Ntgr specific thing), all the other VLAN on a trunk must travel tagged.

The same applies to your security applianc for example, too.

To make the trunk work, both ends must be configured the very same way - this is standard.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements