× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS105Ev2 Logon issues

parky_dw
Aspirant

GS105Ev2 Logon issues

I've just got hold of a GS105Ev2.  After presssing the factory reset button it appeared on my LAN.  My problem is that I can't log on to it.

I downloaded and installed the ProSafe Plus Configuration Utility 2.3.20.  This finds the switch on the network.  If I select the switch nothing happens.  I believe I should receive a password prompt at this point?

If I click on the 'IP SETTING' button it shows some info (eg Firmware v1.2.0.5) and the fact that DHCP is enabled.  If I enter "password" into the password field and click on 'APPLY' everything is fine.  If I type anything other than "password" it comes back and says "incorrect password".  To me this shows that the password has been reset to the default of "password".

If I point a browser at the switch's IP address I get a username/password logon prompt.  Trying the standard admin/password combination doesn't work. Trying all the variations I can think of doesn't work.

So....

Why doesn't the factory default of admin/password get me in at the web interface?

Why doesn't the Configuration App prompt for a password when I select the switch?

Anyone have any ideas?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
parky_dw
Aspirant

Re: GS105Ev2 Logon issues

Well I was a little premature here and I've now sorted out my problem.

With the Configuration Utility, in the first release it looks like clicking on the found switch was sufficient to select it and bring up the passsword prompt - as shown on various u-tube videos.  With later releases of the firmware, clicking on the switch (double or single) only highlights the entry.  You then need to click on APPLY to actually open it.  (I'm so used to double-click on something to select it....)

I'm not too sure what the web interface logon problem was - it may be because the switch was running the original firmware there wasn't much in the way of web support in there if any?  Anyway,having logged on via the Configuration Utility and updated the firmware to the latest release all is fine on that front.

David

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
parky_dw
Aspirant

Well I was a little premature here and I've now sorted out my problem.

With the Configuration Utility, in the first release it looks like clicking on the found switch was sufficient to select it and bring up the passsword prompt - as shown on various u-tube videos.  With later releases of the firmware, clicking on the switch (double or single) only highlights the entry.  You then need to click on APPLY to actually open it.  (I'm so used to double-click on something to select it....)

I'm not too sure what the web interface logon problem was - it may be because the switch was running the original firmware there wasn't much in the way of web support in there if any?  Anyway,having logged on via the Configuration Utility and updated the firmware to the latest release all is fine on that front.

David

Message 2 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi parky_dw,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I'm glad that you were able to update the firmware.  Be reminded that it is recommended to perform a factory reset after upgrading the firmware of the switch then reconfigure it from scratch.  

About accessing the web-GUI of the GS105Ev2, it seems that the GS105Ev2 is still in its default IP Address.  Kindly try the steps below:

1. Disconnect the GS105Ev2 from the existing network.

2. Connect a PC to a LAN port of your GS105Ev2. 

3. Set a static IP address of 192.168.0.210 to your PC. 

4. Open a browser like Google Chrome.  Then, at the address bar of it, type 192.168.0.239 then press Enter. Login to the web-GUI of the GS105Ev2. Enter "admin" as the username and "password" as the password without the quotation marks. 

Note: The default IP address of GS105Ev2 is 192.168.0.239. 

5. The Switch Information page displays.  In the DHCP mode menu, select Disable.  Then,  enter the IP Address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway that corresponds to your existing network.  Then, click Apply. 

Note: You will lose access to the web-GUI of the GS105Ev2 because you have just change its IP Address which is normal.

6. Connect a LAN port of the GS105Ev2 to your router.  

7. Set your PC to "Obtain an IP Address Automatically."  Then connect it to a LAN port of the GS105Ev2. 

8. Open a browser like Google Chrome.  Then, at the address bar of it, type the static IP Address you have set to the GS105Ev2 then press Enter.  If you are able to access it, then it means that the GS105Ev2 is now a part of your existing network.

Note: You may also perform a connectivity test.  Open command prompt on your PC then ping the static IP address you have set to the GS105Ev2 (for example: ping 192.168.1.18 then press Enter).  If you receive replies then it means that the GS105Ev2 is reachable within your existing network. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 4
parky_dw
Aspirant

Hi Dana,

Thanks for the reply, but the first factory reset put it into DHCP mode so it was on my subnet.  The issue I had before updating the firmware was that I couldn't logon to the web interface using the default username of "admin" and the default password of "password". (I was getting the username/password prompt from the GS105E).

In view of your response just thought I'd add a bit of info for others in a related situation.  (Your steps 3 and 7).

I've recently been playing with various bits of hardware where the default is to come up at a fixed IP address that isn't on my subnet (192.168.10.x).

For example if the item defaults to 192.168.0.210.......

With Windows (I'm running 10) open an administrative command line window and type:

netsh interface ipv4 set address name="ethernet" static 192.168.0.4

to switch to an arbitrary IP address in the new subnet.  In hte above example I picked on ".4"

Do your stuff with a browser pointed at 192.168.0.210 then:

netsh interface ipv4 set address name="ethernet" dhcp

will reset your ethernet address back to normal (assuming you're running with DHCP).

Anyway you get the idea.

David

Model: GS105Ev2|ProSAFE Plus 5-port Switch
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements