× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS108PEv3 Cannot Factory Reset

RevMRHamilton
Aspirant

GS108PEv3 Cannot Factory Reset

Hello,

Several  weeks ago,   I noticed, via my network monitoring software, that the web interface on one of my GS108PEv3 switches had dropped offline. However, the switch appeared to functioning normally otherwise.  I   power-cycled, and no dice.  I decided to factory reset.

I pushed the reset button for a few seconds and saw the lights go out momentarily and then, come back up.   It did not reappear on my network (web server) but  was   switching at least  VLAN 1 traffic.    When I tried it again, even following  every permutation of factory reset advice out there, it has not reappeared.  When I push the reset button now, nothing happens.... no visible change.

I have looked at my DHCP traffic; it has not asked for  an address. I set up a scan on the 192.168.0 network.  It is not there. I monitor MACs; I have not seen this MAC show up.

I tried every magic incantation I could remember and even clicked my heels three times and said, "There is no place like home."  Seriously, nothing has helped.

Three questions:

1. Any ideas on the reset switch not appearing to  function?    Is there another way to  trigger the reset?

2. Will this work as a "dumb" switch?   I don't consider a "yes" answer as a solution, but only as an indication of whether I can use it in this capacity.  I bought  these  particular switches for VLAN  and POE functionality.  I have them tied to a Cisco 4948, and I want the VLANs.

I just replaced this switch with another  of the same., even though I had a hard time justifying doing so with what I am experiencing.

3. Will the POE  work  without being able to "manage" the switch?

Thanks.

Model: GS108PEv3|ProSafe Gigabit Plus switch with PoE
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS108PEv3 Cannot Factory Reset

@RevMRHamilton wrote:

1. Any ideas on the reset switch not appearing to  function?    Is there another way to  trigger the reset?

Netgear ProSAFE plus Configuration Utility - permitting the microcontroller is still partially alive, and the NDSP protocol access wasn't disabled.

@RevMRHamilton wrote:

2. Will this work as a "dumb" switch?   I don't consider a "yes" answer as a solution, but only as an indication of whether I can use it in this capacity.  I bought  these  particular switches for VLAN  and POE functionality.  I have them tied to a Cisco 4948, and I want the VLANs.

Crystal ball is on a holiday - depends what might be broken on the switch in question..

@RevMRHamilton wrote:

As abve #2 - plug a cable and PoE PD might help giving an answer. Unclear if the config is retained, or it's back on a default, and VLANs are lost.

4. Why bother? These switches come with a limited lifetime warranty. Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR -> Replace my defective product

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@RevMRHamilton wrote:

Netgear ProSAFE plus Configuration Utility - permitting the microcontroller is still partially alive, and the NDSP protocol access wasn't disabled.

@RevMRHamilton wrote:

Crystal ball is on a holiday - depends what might be broken on the switch in question..

@RevMRHamilton wrote:

As abve #2 - plug a cable and PoE PD might help giving an answer. Unclear if the config is retained, or it's back on a default, and VLANs are lost.

4. Why bother? These switches come with a limited lifetime warranty. Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR -> Replace my defective product

Message 2 of 3
RevMRHamilton
Aspirant

Thanks.  I  tried the   Configuration Utility early on; I have used it several times in the past, and it detects my two good switches.  I had left the   Configuration Utility access enabled when I  first configured the now bad switch.  I will follow on with support.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements