× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS108T set up

DJEPSON
Aspirant

GS108T set up

I am having a nightmare setting this up !

I have connected port 1 to a port on my router and as the manual says then connected an ethernet cable from one of the other ports to the laptop, I have downloaded both the prosafe utility software and installed the software on the disk that came with it, neither of them will find the switch and when I type the address of the switch in my browser get an error message saying it took too long to respond.

I have also done a factory reset.

I am at a loss what to do next I thought it was supposed to be a straightforward setup.

Model: GS108Tv2|ProSAFE 8-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: GS108T set up

Hi DJEPSON,

The GS108Tv2 is a smart switch.  You need to change its default IP address to an IP address that is within the IP range of your existing network so that you could manage it easily.  As you could observe the instructions I have posted, the GS108Tv2 can be managed via a browser which is, for me, is more convenient rather than using the Smart Control Center utility.  

It might be that you need someone to assist you in doing the steps above to set it up.  With regard to that, you may contact NETGEAR Support at anytime.  

However, if you think that what you need is just a plug-and -play switch, then you should opt for an unmanaged switch.  Kindly access the link below for a list of NETGEAR Gigabit Unmanaged Switch models that would fit your network needs.

NETGEAR Gigabit Unmanaged Switch Series

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DJEPSON,

Kindly try the steps below:

1. Disconnect the GS108Tv2 from the existing network.

2. Connect a PC to a LAN port of your GS108Tv2. 

3. Set a static IP address of 192.168.0.210 to your PC. 

4. Open a browser like Google Chrome.  Then, at the address bar of it, type 192.168.0.239 then press Enter. Login to the web-GUI of the GS108Tv2. Enter "admin" as the username and "password" as the password without the quotation marks. 

Note: The default IP address of GS108Tv2 is 192.168.0.239. 

5. On the web-GUI, go to System > Management > IP Configuration.  Select "Static IP Address" then assign an IP Address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway that corresponds to your existing network.  Then, click Apply. 

Note: You will lose access to the web-GUI of the GS108Tv2 because you have just change its IP Address which is normal.

6. Connect a LAN port of the GS108Tv2 to your router.  

7. Set your PC to "Obtain an IP Address Automatically."  Then connect it to a LAN port of the GS108Tv2. 

8. Open a browser like Google Chrome.  Then, at the address bar of it, type the static IP Address you have set to the GS108Tv2 then press Enter.  If you are able to access it, then it means that the GS108Tv2 is now a part of your existing network.

Note: You may also perform a connectivity test.  Open command prompt on your PC then ping the static IP address you have set to the GS108Tv2 (for example: ping 192.168.1.18 then press Enter).  If you receive replies then it means that the GS108Tv2 is reachable within your existing network. 

Hope it helps.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
DJEPSON
Aspirant

Thanks DaneA, that sounds like a lot of manually configuration for somethng that is supposed to be straightforward out of the box, I think I will just return the switch for something that is more plug and play

Many thanks

Damian

Message 3 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DJEPSON,

The GS108Tv2 is a smart switch.  You need to change its default IP address to an IP address that is within the IP range of your existing network so that you could manage it easily.  As you could observe the instructions I have posted, the GS108Tv2 can be managed via a browser which is, for me, is more convenient rather than using the Smart Control Center utility.  

It might be that you need someone to assist you in doing the steps above to set it up.  With regard to that, you may contact NETGEAR Support at anytime.  

However, if you think that what you need is just a plug-and -play switch, then you should opt for an unmanaged switch.  Kindly access the link below for a list of NETGEAR Gigabit Unmanaged Switch models that would fit your network needs.

NETGEAR Gigabit Unmanaged Switch Series

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DJEPSON,

I just want to follow-up.  Were you able to seek assistance from NETGEAR Support regarding the initial setup of the GS108Tv2 switch?  Also, were you able to check the link I gave you about the NETGEAR Gigabit Unmanaged Switch Series

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements